Thursday 20 December 2018

Top 5 TV Shows of 2018

Time for TV Shows!!! This year has been pretty epic in terms of TV shows (even with the glaring absence of Game of Thrones). Like always, this list is comprised of my favourite shows that I watched for the first time this year- they don't need to be released in 2018, just watched by me for the first time.


Killing Eve Season 1
I had to start with Killing Eve because it's become my new obsession. This series follows a female assassin and an MI5 reject tracking her. They both become sort of fascinated and obsessed with each other and it turns into a cat and mouse game of who can find who first who, who can toy with the other more. This series was so much fun. It was sexy, gripping and hilarious. You wouldn't expect an action-thriller-who-dunnit to also be a comedy, but it works so damn well. The female assassin, Villanelle, is maybe my favourite character in existence at the moment and the acting is on point! I would strongly suggest you watch this show pronto!
Killing Eve Review


Riverdale Season 1 and 2 
This year, me and my brother marathoned both the first and second series of Riverdale. I sort of have a love/hate relationship with Riverdale because it's so easy to mock! I think if I took this show too seriously, I would absolutely hate it. But, instead, me and my brother like to make fun of all the predictable plots and useless characters and we end up in stitches by the end of every episode! So, while the show doesn't create the impression it probably intends to, I absolutely love it all the same. A guilty pleasure, if you will.
Reviews:
1x01  |  1x02  |  1x03  |  1x04  |  1x05



Agent Carter Season 1 and 2 
Continuing with my Marvel binge, I went straight into Agent Carter this year and it was perfect!!! Peggy is easily my favourite female in the MCU and I loved seeing more of her! She deserved so much more than being in only one Marvel movie but having an entire show dedicated to her adventures more than made up for it. Peggy is bad-ass and a breath of fresh air. Especially within the time period this show is set, Peggy defies the gender stereotypes and never fails to challenge everyone around her. She's funny, sassy and one of the best heroines of all time.
And that's not even mentioning Jarvis who absolutes makes the humour of this show. Jarvis and Peggy are one of my all-time favourite friendships and it makes this show utterly addictive.
Reviews:
1x01  |  1x02  |  1x03

Westworld Season 2 
This was my most anticipated show of the year and it didn't disappoint! While I didn't like this season as much as the first, it was still beautiful and gripping as always. Westworld is one of the smartest shows on TV at the moment and, if you're a casual viewer that likes an easy-to-understand plot.... stay far away from Westworld. This series is mind-boggling in the best possible way and trying to figure everything out is what makes it so much fun. There are so many characters, so many subplots and so many feels!!! I swear, I was gasping, laughing and crying at every episode.
Review
2x01  |  2x02  |  2x03  |  2x04  |  2x05  |  2x06  |  2x07  |  2x08  |  2x09


Sharp Objects 
And this was the surprise favourite of the year. As soon as I heard there was a TV adaptation of a Gillian Flynn book, I was intrigued because I read and watched Gone Girl a couple of years back and fell in love. But Sharp Objects was a very different sort of thriller to watch- more subtle, more intriguing than the obvious and fast-paced Gone Girl.
At first, I didn't really know what to make of this show. It's a little weird, a little confusing and a little disjointed. But the more you watch, the more addicted you get and, by the end, I was obsessed. It's one of those shows that you can't stop thinking about and, after that finale, I was absolutely awes-struck. It's a smart, deep and psychologically traumatic thriller but I was down for the ride!
Sharp Objects Review

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts- what were your favourite shows of the year? Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment