Tuesday 18 December 2018

Top 10 Movies of 2018

The time is upon us to start picking the favourites of 2018!!! I've decided to split my favourites into movies, TV and books. Like always with these sorts of posts, these favourites are going to include movies that I watched for the first time this year- they don't have to have been released in 2018, just watched by me for the first time during 2018.
I feel like there's going to be two section of this set of favourites: Marvel and non-Marvel. But, without further adieu, let's get into it!

Avengers: Infinity War
This was no question. It was most people's favourite movie of the year. If it isn't obvious, I got really obsessed with the MCU at the end of 2017, so a lot of this year was catching up with all the movies and growing my love for it even more. And, when Infinity War came around, I was awe-struck with every single second. Infinity War is pure genius- there are so many characters and plot lines and dynamics but it's all perfectly balanced (see what I did there?) to create one of the most epic movies of all time.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 and 2
I'm gonna count this as one, even though I'm fully aware that's cheating.
Guardians of the Galaxy is so much fun. It's a little crazy, a little weird, but I'm constantly laughing through it. The whole crew is amazing and Groot is everything that is good and happy.


Deadpool
I watched this quite early in the year and it's not technically in the MCU but it had to make this list. The first Deadpool has remained my favourite, even since watching the sequel, because it's just so brilliant! Deadpool turns the tropes of superhero movies on their heads and does it in such a sarcastic and hilarious way. The whole concept and execution of Deadpool is fresh and unbelievably entertaining. I was laughing through the whole thing and it's without a doubt one of my favourite movies of the year.

Thor: Ragnarok 
This was a surprising one for me. When looking back through the Marvel movies I watched this year, I didn't think a Thor movie would make it on there- but Ragnarok was miles better than the first two! When watching this movie, you have to completely forget the flops of the previous two and just enjoy this one for what it is... because it's weird, wacky and everything wonderful. The director, Taika Waititi is one of my favourite people ever because he's so hilarious, and down to earth and awesome and all of that's definitely reflected in this film.

Antman and the Wasp
This is the most recent Marvel movie I've seen and it was epic!!! I don't know why I always go into Marvel movies with scepticism and low expectations because they're always perfect!!! Antman and the Wasp is even better than the first one in my opinion and that cliffhanger!!! It makes me more and more excited for Avengers Endgame next year!!! As always, this film was filled with humour and I always love every second that Paul Rudd is on screen because I'm actually in love with him.
Antman and the Wasp Review

The Greatest Showman
I first watched this back in February at the cinema with my mum and I got goosebumps watching the whole thing. And since then, I've watched it at least a couple more times and I love it more and more every time I see it. The songs are so catchy, the choreography entrancing and the acting superb. I'm a massive fan of musicals and this one ticked every box for me.
The Greatest Showman Review

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
I think I must have thing for Chris Pratt because every movie I saw him in this year has been one of my favourites. Fallen Kingdom exceeded all my expectations and I was transfixed through the whole thing. While I think the first movie is good, this one is so much better my opinion- the action scenes keep coming, the characters are more fleshed out and I preferred the plot and character dynamics. There were so many beautiful shots that I could only sit back and watch in awe and it was a perfect example of how sequels should be made.
Fallen Kingdom Review

Karate Kid 

Before this year, I'd never seen the original Karate Kid and I actually loved it! I'd only ever seen the Jaden Smith remake but this one was so much funnier and entertaining. I cared about the characters so much more and it was such an easy film to watch. The premise is really cool and it's one of those movies that you just want to snuggle down with snacks and watch because you can't be bothered to do anything else. Which is how I feel all the time.

Heathers
I don't know if this was obvious over the year but I became utterly obsessed with the musical Heathers and, of course, that meant I had to watch the movie source material. And, surprise surprise, I loved it! While this movie was made back in 1988, it's absolutely timeless and still so funny. The plot is basically Mean Girls with lots of death and psychopaths and who doesn't need that in their life? This movie made me so damn happy and I had so much fun watching it- making it truly deserve a place on this list.
Heathers Review

The Breakfast Club
This was yet another classic I watched this year and loved. It's such a famous movie and this was the first time I'd ever watched but I completely understand what all the well-deserved hype is about. Honestly, I didn't love love love this movie when originally finishing it but it's one of those films where it ingrains itself into your mind and suddenly you can't stop thinking about it. The Breakfast Club doesn't have too much plot but is mainly based around characters and learning their pasts, what makes them who they are and what they want out of life. The whole movie focuses on getting to know the characters and seeing how character dynamics work between them and I loved that- it created such a raw and relatable movie and I think that's probably why it's such a success. Everyone can relate and, if I was to pick an identity out of them to stick myself with, I'd definitely go with Brain.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment