Saturday 29 December 2018

December Wrap Up 2018

And 2018 is over!!! I managed to read a total of 101 books this year (a whopping pass over my target of 50 books) which I'm super pleased with! But I also realised how much I re-read books because, out of that entire 101, only 32 books were ones that I hadn't read before. So, my target for next year is definitely to read more new books and to cut back on re-reading.

BOOKS
A Bad Boy Stole My Bra- Lauren Price (Re-read)
* * * *
For some reason, I was in the mood for a cute contemporary which practically never happens to me when it's winter. But, after reading the entirety of the masterpiece that is the Throne of Glass series, I can understand my need for a simple and easy book that isn't likely to tear my heart into pieces. I only read this for the first time earlier this year but it was so much fun and I had the urge to give it a re-read. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the first time but it was definitely still enjoyable and entertaining.

November 9- Colleen Hoover (Re-read)
* * * * *
Yes, I missed a trick by not re-reading this in November but I made up for it now. I always feel the need to re-read this book every winter and, boy, was I happy I did because this book never fails to pull me through every single human emotion in the best way possible.
November 9 Review

A Court of Mist and Fury (ACOTAR #2)- Sarah J. Maas (Re-read)
* * * * * 
By this point, I'd read a couple of books and, already, I was missing Sarah J. Maas (I think I have a serious problem). As always, ACOMAF was a delight to re-read because it's my favourite book of all time and it makes me so inexplicably happy. This book is the most character-based book of the trilogy and I love that because these characters are so amazing and it's so much fun to learn about them all and watch their relationships develop.
A Court of Mist and Fury Review

Half-Blood (Covenant #1)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * *
And, because I'd been giving Sarah J. Maas books a lot of attention, I had to slide back into some JLA books because she's my other favourite author. It feels like I haven't re-read this series in ages when, in reality, it was probably only last year. This series is based off the Greek Gods and it's the most epic and rewarding series ever.

Pure (Covenant #2)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * * 
Out of the entire series, this is probably my least favourite but it's still a complete five stars because it's still awesome. Like always, I sped through this book and it was a lovely and quick read.

Deity (Covenant #3)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * *
Deity has to be one of my favourite of the entire series. A certain something happens that I'd been waiting so long for and it always makes my heart so happy! I'm always buzzed after these books and I'm on a natural high being surrounded by all the nostalgia and epicness.

Elixir (Covenant #3.5)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * *
This is only a small novella but I actually think it's a necessary part of the series- don't skip! It's super entertaining and you actually learn super important information in the grand scheme of things. Parts of this novella are mentioned in future books so it's really important to read this novella. You won't regret it.

Apollyon (Covenant #4)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * *
This is my second favourite book of the series. I love the characters dynamics in this one and the plot is so fast paced and gripping. The characters go through a hell of a lot but it's so entertaining and I'm rooting for them through every page.

Sentinel (Covenant #5)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * *
Unsurprisingly, JLA is a master of finales (because what isn't she good at?). I always love reading Sentinel because if you compare the characters now to how they were in Half-Blood there's such drastic differences and effortless character growth. I'm always filled with pride. This is an epic finale with roller-coaster emotions and it was the perfect ending to this series.

the witch doesn't burn in this one- Amanda Lovelace (December Book of the Month)
* * * *
I think it's safe to say that Amanda Lovelace is definitely one of my favourite poets. This poetry anthology was the sequel to the princess saves herself in this one and I loved it just as much. Lovelace has an amazing ability to sum up emotions in beautiful and moving words in a way that just makes me melt. There's such an overwhelming feeling of girl power and self-confidence and it's truly inspiring.
the princess saves herself in this one Review

TV and MOVIES
I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here
* * * * *
As always, every year I tune into this reality show because it's the best on earth. Basically, the concept is that a bunch of celebrities go out and live in an Australian jungle for three weeks and have to do trials every day to win food. The trials are the funniest things ever and can range from eating bugs, to being covered in bugs or even swimming with different creatures and, you guessed it, even more bugs. This is always such a brilliant show and this year didn't disappoint. It was such an amazing camp cast with every getting along great- I didn't stop laughing through the whole thing.

Doctor Who Season 11
* * * *
Another series I finished watching this month was Doctor Who! I've always loved this show but fell out of it a couple of years ago during Matt Smith's reign. I never saw Peter Capaldi's doctor but as soon as it was announced that we were having our first female doctor, I was so excited to jump back into things. And this was an awesome series! My favourite episodes were Rosa and Demons of the Pubjab and I also loved the companions- especially Yaz. I'm looking forward to what more Jodie Whittaker has to bring to the role in future series.

The Apprentice
* * * * *
I also finished the Apprentice which was amazing this year! Apprentice is basically a reality show where young entrepreneurs battle it out in different business tasks to see who will become Lord Alan Sugar's new business partner- earning a whopping £250,000 towards their own businesses. The Apprentice is always super fun to watch and I really liked this series.

Love Actually 

I finally watched one of the most popular Christmas movies of all time and... I was underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, there were parts that I liked and characters that I liked but it was way too scattered for my taste. I like movies and books where you can really get to know the characters on a deeper level but this movie had over a dozen characters with only surface level backgrounds told. This made everyone seem way too two dimensional and, honestly, I don't think I could remember a single one of their names. Sorry, not sorry.

Mamma Mia (Re-watch)
* * * * 
Me and my mum had a movie night and we just couldn't resist re-watching Mamma Mia because we recently got the sequel on DVD so thought we'd re-watch this one before re-watch the second. And, honestly, you can't go wrong with a bit of Mamma Mia.

The Breakfast Club (Re-watch)
* * * * *
I had the house to myself one evening so, instead of having a giant house party and getting drunk (because that's so so so far away from my style), I decided to sit back and re-watch The Breakfast Club. This movie was one of my favourites of 2018 and it's one of those films you can't stop thinking about after you finish it. So, I'd had the urge to watch this again for a while and, since I got it for Christmas, it was the perfect time to sit back and give it another watch.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts! Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment