Saturday 22 December 2018

Top 5 Books of 2018

This year, I read a total of 101 books which is miles better than the 50 book challenge I made myself. Having said that, only 33 of those books were new books... I've realised just how much I re-read stuff. So, actually, there wasn't a large number of books to pick my favourites from but there were some definite highlights. I've actually been a little harsh this year and could only think up five books/series but there are a few honorary mentions too...
Like always, this is list is compiled of my favourite books I read this year- they don't need to have been released in 2018, just read by me for the first time.
On with the favourites!

Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass #7)- Sarah J. Maas
It was no question this book was making it at the top of my list. Kingdom of Ash was the epic conclusion to the Throne of Glass series and by conclusion, I mean epic-battle-soul-crushing-gripping-addictive-and-sob-inducing finale. If you've ever struggled to get through the previous books in the series, I can say, without a doubt, that this book is completely worth it. I was laughing, I was crying, I was hysterical and I wouldn't change a single word in this masterpiece. I'm absolutely gutted that this series is over because I'm going to miss these characters so much! Watching them all grow and seeing how much they've all changed has been so amazing and it was extremely difficult to say goodbye (I may have been uncontrollably sobbing for the last 100 or so pages of this book).
Kingdom of Ash Reviews Part 1
Kingdom of Ash Review Part 2



Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass #6)- Sarah J. Maas
I read Tower of Dawn for the first time this year and it surprised me a lot considering I had pretty low expectations. Yes, I've always loved Chaol and think he should get more credit and love from the fandom but I didn't know how he'd hold up without the other characters to provide more entertainment as well. Turns out, I didn't need to worry at all because this book was stunning!
I've always been a massive fan of Chaol and I really liked reading his redemption arc through this book. He grows so much as a person and I love that Chaol gets a good spotlight when he's received so much hate from the fandom over previous books. He had such great character development and it's made me love Chaol even more than I ever did.
The focus on disability throughout the book was also incredibly well-written and I can't ever thank Sarah enough for it. Instead of a journey of physical progress, Chaol struggled through the emotional traumas of such physical limitations and the message that being in a wheelchair doesn't make you any less of a person was so important. Having a strong character in a wheelchair in a fantasy story is so unheard of and I think Sarah has to be truly commended for how well she portrayed these particular struggles.
Tower of Dawn Review

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1)- Neal Shusterman
I wasn't at all surprised when I fell in love with this book. Even before reading a single word, I was obsessed with the premise. Essentially, this books follows a version of our world where we've finally conquered death- we can cure any disease and we can even bring people back to life if they get into an accident. But to keep population numbers at an appropriate level, Scythes are appointed with the job to glean people at random. This book follows Citra and Rowan who are training to become Scythes and... this book is so damn clever!
It's full of plot twists and intrigue but what I love most is the underlying philosophy of the whole premise. Morals of life and death and playing God are such key themes and it was so interesting to see this whole new system and culture around these subjects. The plot and world-building is so detailed and I can't wait for the third book to come out!!
Scythe Review

The Dark Elements trilogy- Jennifer L. Armentrout
I'm going to count this entire trilogy as one favourite because I wanna cheat like that.
It's also no surprise that Jennifer L. Armentrout made this list. The Dark Elements trilogy was actually released a couple of years ago so I'm late to the party but... better late than never. This series has the interesting premise of demons and gargoyles being sworn enemies and our main character, Layla, being caught between them as she's half of both.
Like always, JLA's books are full of swoon-worthy romance, action, plot twists and, most importantly, the effortless humour that makes me addicted to her books. I absolutely loved the characters in these books and the pages couldn't turn themselves quick enough. When it comes to JLA books, I become all-consumed in the plot which meant my productivity whilst reading these books was shocking. Nevertheless, nothing compares to reading a JLA book for the first time and I will forever fangirl over her work.
White Hot Kiss Review
Stone Cold Touch Review
Every Last Breath Review

The Darkest Star (Origin #1)- Jennifer L. Armentrout
This was another of my most anticipated releases for the year and I was lucky enough to receive an arc of it so read it a month before the official release (I'm gonna keep mentioning this because it literally made my year). The Darkest Star is the first book in the Origin series which is a spin-off of the Lux series (which is also all kinds of epic). And, like the Lux series, this book was full of sassiness, romance, epic action and, again, the humour that JLA so effortlessly pours into every word.
From the very first page, this book had me reduced to excited squeals and hand-flapping and it was everything I ever needed. I was pleasantly surprised with all the mystery and plot twists weaved into a story where I thought I'd already learnt everything about the world. It was fresh, interesting and every bit as brilliant as I'd been expecting. We also got to see a few character cameos from the Lux series which was everything!! 
The Darkest Star Non-spoiler Review
The Darkest Star Review


Honorary Mentions:
You almost made the cut but didn't quite meet the awesomeness of the others....sorry
(Reviews linked)

Falling Kingdoms series- Morgan Rhodes
The Prophecy (Titan #4)- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
A Court of Frost and Starlight (ACOTAR #3.5)- Sarah J. Maas
Watching You- Shannon Greenland
the princess saves herself in this one- Amanda Lovelace
A Bad Boy Stole My Bra- Lauren Price
Restore Me (Shatter Me #4)- Tahereh Mafi

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts- what were your favourite reads of the year?! Stay amazing!
Chloe

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to get further into the Throne Of Glass Series. I'm about to finish the second book right now :) Love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets better and better with each book, trust me :)
      xx

      Delete