Saturday 4 August 2018

White Hot Kiss- Jennifer L. Armentrout BOOK TALK

* * * * *
Jennifer L. Armentrout slays me, she truly does.
If you don't know, Jennifer L. Armentrout is my all-time favourite author and this book is a great example as to why that is. Her books have the perfect amount of humour, romance, action and epicness to make me fall in love with each and every word. I have a smile on my face through the entirety of every one of her books because her writing style is so funny and easy and comforting and flawless. The only problem with Jennifer L. Armentrout books is that they're horribly tortured with cheesy romance covers... Listen to me now, don't judge the book on the cover! It's a super epic and cool and a supernatural romance book... not an erotica.
White Hot Kiss follows Layla who's half demon and half gargoyle. The two races are sworn enemies and she's stuck between the two- never truly belonging with either one. She finds out that she's the reason for an all out war and is the key to start the apocalypse... which makes her a very popular target on both sides.
This book was just as amazing as I expected it to be and I'd definitely recommend picking it up.


SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
As a protagonist, I liked Layla a lot. She wasn't someone who sits around and waits for things to happen and I like how her confidence grew. A lot of things had been kept from her and, seeing her discover everything and find herself was seemingless and enjoyable.
Now, let's talk about ships because there's an obvious love triangle in this book and I am unashamedly obsessed with it.

I'm Team Roth. Any day, I'd pick Roth. I don't know what it is about cocky, hot and bad boys but they're so easy to fall in love with! He kind of reminded me of Daemon Black from Jennifer L. Armentrout's other books, the Lux series, so that was also a bonus. I don't care if he's a demon- he's so sweet! I love how we grew to learn more and more about Roth and got to see the differences of what we'd normally expect to see from a demon- his insecurities, his fears and his vulnerabilities. It was so clear that he's crazy about Layla and I'm calling it now... they're endgame. Sure... he's technically being tortured in the fiery pits at the moment but... the course of true love never ran smooth and all that.
I liked Zayne but I obviously didn't love him. I don't picture anything romantic working between him and Layla, though I do get the feeling that he likes her in a romantic way and is just keeping it hidden. But, in my head, I see them working as a sibling bond. Zayne just isn't as charismatic or entertaining to read about as Roth. He's kind of just the responsible, sensible and boring character that the protagonist only likes because he's hot and protective. It's not that I don't like Zayne or anything but... I have an obvious bias towards Roth.
Another thing I loved about Roth was his pets!! The kittens were adorable and Bambi was a total bad-ass. And he certainly knows how to name them... It's such a cool concept how they become tattoos on his skin and then materialise from it to fight. We have this constant mention of the dragon on Roth's stomach so I think that'll definitely come into play in a later book- probably the epic showdown of the finale.
I think the premise of this book was super unique and original. The whole idea of gargoyles are definitely untouched within YA and the added element of all the different types of demon and Wardens were fascinating. It took me a little time to get my head around all the different species, but I totally appreciate the added detail and intricacy.
I freaked when Layla found out her mother was Lilith... like, the Lilith. Honestly, I should've probably seen it coming. And I definitely should have realised Elijah was her dad but that fact went straight over my head and slapped me in the face. I actually gasped out loud because Layla had just sucked the soul of her half-brother!! Brutal!
My favourites scenes were any scene with Roth and Layla. I just lived for every page they were flirting, getting to know each other or protecting one another. Their relationship really grew and I had a massive smile on my face every time they were together.
I would like for the future books to have Layla control her soul-sucking urges so that she can kiss anyone, though. Not that I want her to be kissing anyone other than Roth, but, if Roth is the only person she can physically kiss and be intimate with, it makes it seems as if that factor is the only reason for picking him. If she can kiss Zayne and anyone else without sucking their soul then, when she picks Roth (please please please say she picks Roth) it's because she truly wants him and not because she's settling for someone she can kiss. That's all I want. Is that so much to ask?
The ending was brilliant! Layla's true gargoyle/demon form was awesome and I think the Wardens and demons fighting together is super effective. But why the Hell did Roth have to sacrifice himself?!?! But, I'm actually not too bothered because it's obvious he'll show up again in the series and it'll be good when the Wardens can't be so outward with their hatred for him because he saved all their worthless lives. Damn straight.
I also love that Bambi is now with Layla. It was such a cute moment that Bambi would stay as a tattoo to protect Layla and it was entertaining to see how the tattoo actually tickles when it moves. I can't wait for Roth to come back and see Bambi on Layla... he'll probably find it hot.
My predictions for the next book would be that Roth'll come back and that Zayne will reveal his true romantic feelings for Layla. This first book focused on Layla's romantic relationship with Roth so I think the next one will have more intimate scenes with Zayne so that, by the finale, it could go either way (though, my fingers are crossed for Roth, obviously).

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment