Thursday 30 August 2018

August Wrap Up 2018


I did really well this month. Nine books, eight movies and a TV show, I had a lot of time on my hands but sadly, that free time will be short lived because college starts again next month...yay.

BOOKS
A Bad Boy Stole My Bra- Lauren Price
* * * *
I loved this book so much more than I thought. I was sent this ARC through Netgalley and I'm so happy I read it because it was exactly what I needed. It was the perfect rom-com read and I couldn't turn the pages quick enough.
Review to come!

The DUFF- Kody Keplinger (Re-read)
* * * * *
As I was in a rom-com mood and had limited reading choice because I was on holiday with only my kindle, I decided a re-read of the DUFF was in order because it's one of my favourite contemporaries and rom-coms don't get much better than this.

Operation Prom Date- Cindi Madsen (Re-read)
* * * *
On a re-reading roll, I went back to this yet again because it's just too cute and quick and easy to read. You fall in love with the characters from the very first page and the fandom references make my heart swell.
Operation Prom Date Book Talk

Watching You- Shannon Greenland (Re-read)
* * * * 
I only read this book a couple of months ago but I felt the urge to give it a re-read and it was so much fun! This book revolves around a stalker so re-reading armed with the knowledge of the stalker is super entertaining because you can pick up all the details and foreshadowing.
Watching You Book Talk
Interview with Shannon Greenland

Caraval- Stephanie Garber (Book of the Month)
* * * 
Me and Kaitlin chose Caraval for our August Book of the Month and I really enjoyed it! Caraval has had a tonne of hype and, while I didn't love it to that extent, it was still an interesting and intriguing read. I wasn't in love with protagonist at any point (I found her to be a bit bland and safe) but some of the other characters were fun and the book ended with a nice cliffhanger.
Review to come!

Obsidian (The Lux series #1)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * *
The spin-off series to the Lux series is coming out at the end of October but I've been sent an ARC of the newest book (The Darkest Star) so I had to immediately start re-reading the Lux series in preparation. I'm so excited that I've got an ARC of my favourite author's new book! This series is one of my all-time favourites and I can't wait to jump into the spin-off.

Onyx (The Lux series #2)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * *
This is maybe my least favourite book of the entire Lux series but it's still five stars so that's gotta tell you something about these books... The Lux series is about aliens (very very hot aliens) and it's got everything you could ever want in a book. The characters are bad-ass, the humour is effortless and the story is all-consuming. I also find myself being very anti-social when I read JLA books because I can't step away from my book.

Opal (the Lux series #3)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * *
This book has one of the best cliffhangers of all time. I remember reading this book for the first time and completely freaking out because... oh, my Gods!!! These books make my heart happy and the protagonist is awesome because she's obsessed with books and even has her own blog!! That should be reason enough to pick up this series.

Origin (the Lux series #4)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
This is maybe my favourite of the series for some reason. From this point onward, we know these characters so well and it's really fun to see how they've grown and how awesome they are now (but, let's face it, they were always awesome). Things really pick up in the final two book and so much happens, it just has to be your favourite of the series.


MOVIES AND TV

Pitch Perfect (Re-watch)
* * * *
I don't know why but I was in the mood to watch Pitch Perfect. It has a nice amount of humour, romance and singing and sometimes, that's all you need in life. It was a relaxing re-watch when all I kind of wanted to do was flake out and watch TV (like I do a lot of the time).

Iron Man (Re-watch)
* * * * *
I didn't actually re-watch Iron Man that long ago but me and my brother have re-convinced my mum to watch all Marvel movies from the beginning, so we're starting again and this time, we're gonna do it right. We'll watch them all in the correct order and it will be perfect. Iron Man incidentally happens to be my all-time favourite Avenger so it was extra fun re-watching this film.
Iron Man Movie Talk

Captain America: The First Avenger (Re-watch)
* * * *
Next in line was re-watching Cap. Some may say this goes before Iron Man because the time-period is before Iron Man but... I don't care. Cap is far from my favourite Avenger but I do love this movie purely for Peggy Carter because she is my ultimate girl-crush and I love her to pieces. Honestly, if she was still around in Infinity War, she could've taken Thanos down with a single glare and witty quip.
Captain America: The First Avenger Movie Talk

Moana (Re-watch)
* * *
I watched this purely for college work- that's how cool my life is at the moment. For my Extended Project, I've decided to analyse the growth of Feminism and whether that's influenced the portrayal of women in Disney movies. This means that I can watch as many Disney movies as I want and claim that I'm still doing important college work... I'm patting myself on the back right now.

Antman and the Wasp
* * * * *
Following our Marvel tradition, me and my brother went to the cinema to see the sequel to Antman. And, while I loved the first movie, this one was even better!! It had great character development, awesome action scenes and the incredible Marvel humour that I've come to know and love. I was laughing the whole way through and, damn, that post-credit scene cliffhanger killed me!! I don't know how I'm going to wait for Avengers 4 next year.
Antman and the Wasp Movie Talk

The Goonies 
* * *
I've never ever watched this before and, as soon as my friend heard this, she demanded we have a movie day because apparently that's sacrilegious. We've got a whole list of classics we've never seen that we're going to start working through so that should be lots of fun. I liked The Goonies and it made me laugh a lot. I also loved that it had young Josh Brolin in because all I could think of was Thanos.

Sharp Objects 
* * * *
This is an eight episode drama that I finished this month and it was brilliant! It's based off the book by Gillian Flynn so, if you were a fan of Gone Girl, you likely love this as well. Starring Amy Adams, the story is about a reporter who goes back to her home town to unwind her past and investigate the murder of two young girls. This TV series does take a while to get into, if I'm honest, but by the end, I think it's worth it because it's so deep and mysterious. The plot twists almost knock you out in the last couple of episode and I was swearing profusely at the screen because I'm a level-headed person that doesn't get emotionally invested in fiction...
There is a major trigger warning on this show because very serious topics are brought up and dealt with.
Review to come!

Godzilla (2014) (Re-watch)
* *
I first watched this movie in the cinema when it released... and I remember liking it a lot more than I did the second time round. This was the modern remake of Godzilla and it mainly appealed to me because it has the actors of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in. I remember that I really loved this movie the first time round but, this time, it all felt a little lacklustre to me. I didn't care much for the characters, there wasn't any depth and I tuned out for most of it.

Iron Man 2
* * * * *
Continuing our Marvel binge with my mum and brother, we watched Iron Man 2 and it was awesome! A lot of people hate on the Iron Man sequels and, while I can agree that they will never surpass the original, the sequels are still super funny and entertaining. But maybe that's because I'm majorly biased towards Tony Stark.
Iron Man 2 Movie Talk




Thanks for reading! What stories have you consumed this month? Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

2 comments:

  1. Your extended work for college sounds fantastic! That is a really great topic, and I love that you are able to do it with Disney movies, as they are really influencing for young girls and women alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's actually super interesting to research about. I love feminism and Disney movies so it was an obvious choice :)

      Delete