Tuesday 19 June 2018

the princess saves herself in this one- Amanda Lovelace BOOK TALK

* * * * *
For me, poetry soothes the soul. So, when I'm feeling particularly emotional or down, I go to poetry because it's like the best kind of a hug with someone telling you that they understand how you're feeling and reassuring that you'll get better. After this month... let's just say I needed to devour a poetry book and I'm so glad I picked up this one.
the princess saves herself in this one is maybe my favourite poetry anthology because it was summed up so many different emotions beautifully. There was also a lovely focus on book lovers which I really enjoyed. Amanda Lovelace told a true story through her poetry and it captivated me from the very beginning. She's been through so much and expresses it so well through her words. There were many situations and circumstances that I could relate to and I'll admit that I cried more than once through the duration of this book.
I'm gonna highlight a few of my favourite poems because they're just too beautiful for words. (Excuse the doodles I made in purple pen- I like to annotate poetry books for some reason.)
Warning: this is gonna get deep. Real deep.



This one was maybe my favourite. It beautifully sums up the relationship I have with books and the love I have for all the characters I read about. And in fiction, especially YA, there are so many amazing and perfect friendships. One reason I love ACOMAF so much is because I love the Inner Circle and I yearn to have those kind of relationships in my life so much it actually hurts. So, this poem beautifully sums up the love of books but the realisation that... sometimes it's not enough.








If you can't read this poem, it's literally just a blank page titled 'silence has always been my loudest scream'

I'm gonna admit that this poem actually hit me the hardest. I just looked at it and started crying. Because, for an introvert that keeps everything inside, this small sentence sums everything up perfectly.











This was another poem that really got to me because losing my parents is physically one of my worst fears. Ever. Amanda Lovelace really digs deep into the story of how she lost her mother and this section of the book really read like a story because she so easily could've been me. Her mother died of cancer and I can relate to a lot of the things she said about how that was so... this poem hit me particularly.









The next poem is probably the most positive of all my favourites (honestly, when it comes to poetry I prefer all the darker and depressing stuff for some reason).
This was the kind of motivational one that gave me a message I sometimes really need to remind myself of.







This was a great poetry anthology and I can't wait to read more of Amanda Lovelace's work.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

4 comments:

  1. I've never had too much luck with modern poetry, but I have considered reading this one. You picked some really lovely examples that have gotten me more interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry's definitely not for everyone but I'd recommend giving Amanda Lovelace a try :)

      Delete
    2. I actually adore poetry, but am more into the Romantics from the 1800s!

      Delete
    3. I'm the exact opposite XD I love modern poetry and don't really like the Romantics all that much xx

      Delete