Thursday 7 June 2018

Westworld 2x06 'Phase Space' TV TALK


This episode was amazing! Westworld steps it up with each and every episode and this is maybe my favourite of the series so far. We got scenes and reunions we've been waiting for so long as well as, most importantly, returning characters!!! I'm so excited for what this means as we get to the final episodes of the series.
TV TALKS
Season 1:  1x01  |  1x02  |  1x03  |  1x04  |  1x05  |  1x06  |  1x07  |  1x08  |  1x09  |  1x10
Season 2:  2x01  |  2x02  |  2x03  |  2x04  |  2x05


SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD

Dolores/ Bernard or Arnold
We start with our familiar conversation between Dolores and... I wanna say Bernard in this one- at least, Bernard's body. Hear me out.

They have their conversation as usual but Dolores interrupts Bernard, saying "no, he didn't say that." When he gets confused, she freezes all motor functions and explains how this is a test. When he asks her what she's testing, she replies "fidelity."
This immediately links this scene with Young William and James Delos when they were conducting interviews to see whether James had officially achieved consciousness in his new host body. From what we can see, Dolores is conducting a baseline interview in a similar fashion and is testing whether whoever in Bernard's body is truly conscious.
My theory is that Ford probably programmed Dolores to carry out this task as we know the test works best with someone the host is familiar with. I would also guess that we're testing the consciousness of Arnold who's been put into Bernard's body after Ford figured out how to perfect William's project (because, let's face it, Ford is a thousand times smarter than poor Billy). I'm really looking forward to how this all plays out.

Dolores
Dolores actually doesn't do much this episode but we start with this eerie piano piece she played which I really liked- giving her a very Ford-like feel. Teddy comes in and... old Teddy is completely gone! We now have Terminator Teddy full of violent actions and passive aggressive comments. Is that regret I see, Dolores???
They catch the train and are headed to the Delos mesa which will be brilliant next episode because all the characters are starting to come together!!!

Maeve
Maeve had a really great presence in this episode. We begin with them surveying all the dead Shogun army. Akane cuts out Sakura's heart so that she can take it to Snow Lake to rest in peace. They go to get Hector and the others but Musashi has to fight so they can all leave. And all I thought through this entire thing was 'I demand a trial by combat!' This was such an epic fight sequence and Musashi ends up slaughtering Tanaka in such a brutal but satisfying way.
At Snow Lake, they find the entrance to the tunnels once more but Musashi and Akane decide to stay, claiming that it's their home and they must defend it. Hanaryo on the other hand, obviously goes 'screw it' and heads off along with her dopplebot, Armistice and the others, which I'm pleased with because I like Hanaryo and want to learn more about her.
So, they leave Shogun World and I wonder how long it'll be before we go back. It seems like we've kind of closed the doors on that chapter of the show but I'm sure we'll go back further down the road.
We also have this lovely scene between Lee and Maeve where she thanks him and you can really see the bond they've grown. Lee has had a really nice character development arc which makes what he does later so much more frustrating.
They make it to Maeve's old home and I was holding my breath through this whole scene. The entire time I was thinking 'oh, my God, her daughter won't remember her and she'll have another mother and it'll be heartbreaking!' and, man, do I hate it when I'm right. This was such a painful scene and I'm big enough to admit I cried.

Like in the old narrative, Ghost Nation attacks and Maeve completely abandons her replacement in order to drag her daughter to safety. A Ghost Nation member catches up to them but doesn't move to hurt them, only telling Maeve that they're meant for the same path. Honestly, Ghost Nation are the biggest wild card of this series currently. We don't really know where they stand or where their loyalties lie.
Lee uses the radio he found in the last episode to call for help and, unsurprisingly, Sylvester stays with him as well. I'm really disappointed in this decision from Lee. We were really getting some great character development from his character and, immediately after he had a really sweet moment with Maeve, he betrays her and all his character growth feels like it was for nothing. However, you can tell how much this decision hurt him and you can tell he didn't want to do it. But he's human. The hosts can bring themselves back whenever they want but he doesn't have that luxury. You can't really blame him (yes, I will defend him until my dying breath. Just look at that face!).

Man in Black
I was so ready to see the Man in Black and the dynamic of his relationship with Emily and it did not disappoint! I found it really funny how he immediately accused her of being a host and thought Ford was playing a trick on him (and now I'll look really stupid if that turns out to be true). I absolutely love Emily. She's so sassy and confident and bad-ass... exactly how you'd expect the daughter of the Man in Black to be.
They have this really nice conversation around the camp fire and it really looks as if they're healing wounds together. It was such an intense interaction and, I must say, Ed Harris' acting was perfection in this scene! All the subtle emotions on his face was so great to watch.
Emily mentions how Raj World had always been her favourite and William remembers with her, telling her how she had always been afraid of the elephants.So when she spat back at how it was her mum who was afraid and she actually loved the elephants, I actually flinched like I'd been slapped. This whole elephant memory either means that William is truly the worst father ever and doesn't remember what his daughter liked or it was his way of testing whether she was truly a host or not, seeing if she'd correct him. I'd like to say he was smart enough to say that as a test but... I also happen to think William isn't winning at being the world's best dad. Far from it, in fact.
Emily takes the opportunity to apologise to him and tell him that she shouldn't have blamed him for her mother's death. She asks him to come home with her, as a way to rebuild their relationship, and it's really sweet to see him promise to stay by her side from now on and make it up to her. The tears in his eyes, the emotion in his words... it was all so beautiful!
But, taking into account that William's a crappy father, I had a gut feeling that he wouldn't carry through that promise. So I wasn't surprised when, lo and behold, he abandons her!! I definitely don't think this is the last time we've seen Emily and I doubt she'll be as forgiving the next time they come face to face.
We leave William being chased by the Ghost Nation.... because we have absolutely no idea who's side they're on.

Karl Strand/ Charlotte Hale
Now that they've successfully got Peter, they send a message to Delos to tell them that the data is in their possession. To keep Peter in control, they nail him to the chair which has got lovely religious parallels with Jesus being nailed to the cross.
We're introduced to a new extraction team coming in to help, led by Coughlin, who seems to be a bit of an ass but is here to get the job done. They get the map in the Mesa working just in time to see Dolores headed straight for them.... Damn, next episode is gonna be good.

Bernard
And finally, for the most confusing story line... Bernard.
Him and Elsie make it back to the Delos Mesa and they find out that the Cradle is improvising, fighting back against QA's hack attempts as if it has it's own mind. And, as soon as this was discovered, my heart was hoping for Ford.
They go to the Cradle, a hive mind where all the host and data backups are kept, and Bernard enters the Cradle in order to try and find out who is inside and improvising the system. As Bernard wanders through Sweetwater, we see the Greyhound that so nicely hints at Ford's presence and, once entering the Mariposa, we then have Ford!!!! He's playing the piano and I squealed so much because Anthony Hopkins just makes this show and I've missed his compelling monologues and soothing voice. I can't wait to see more of him.
There's always been a bit of a debate about the technicality of what Ford now is. Is he a host? A control unit? Is he still alive? Is he living inside the Cradle?
And you know? I don't even care. As long as we keep seeing Anthony Hopkins, I don't give a damn what form Ford is in.
We also have a really nice way to now differentiate between what scenes are happening in the Cradle and what scenes are happening in reality. At lot of people have noticed it and, I'll admit, I only realised when someone else pointed out to me. Whenever a scene occurs in the Cradle or in a past memory (like the scene with Ford or even the beginning scene with Dolores) the aspect ratio of the screen changes, with letterboxing framing the screen. This gives it more of a cinematic feel- almost as if we're watching a movie, which is effectively what the Cradle is showing- a movie reel of memories and story lines.

But, when we're in reality, the screen is full. Now that this been realised by so many people, I can't wait to rewatch the entire season and organise all the scenes happening in the Cradle and in memories. And, so through the rest of the series, we'll be able to differentiate where things are happening. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was like this in season one too. This just shows how damn intelligent the show runners are- every single thing is a detail. There are no coincidences!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

1 comment:

  1. Great tips, many thanks for sharing. I have printed and will stick on the wall! I like this blog. TV Shows to Watch

    ReplyDelete