Thursday 28 June 2018

June Wrap Up 2018

I re-read a lot more than I'd intended to this month. I always say that I should stop re-reading so much and discover new books but I fall into old reads so easily! They're really quick and fun and I know I love them!! Also, I've actually completed my Reading Challenge of 50 books for the year! Which means I'd better challenge myself a bit more next year...
I also didn't manage to get to June's Book of the Month this month but it totally wasn't my fault!! The BotM was A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G Drews and I went into Waterstones multiple times to buy it but couldn't find it! As soon as I find this book in store, I will get it and catch up with the books of the month. I'm determined.

BOOKS
A Court of Frost and Starlight (ACOTAR #3.5)- Sarah J. Maas
* * *
I was really excited to jump into this novella because... it's Sarah J. Maas. It's the inner circle. It's Feysand. ACOMAF is my favourite ever book in existence so I'm always happy to see more of this amazing set of characters that I love so much. I will admit that Frost and Starlight wasn't nearly as good as the others and unfortunately felt like a filler book- made primarily to make more cash. Nothing significant really happened in terms of plot but it was nice to spend time with these characters again.
A Court of Frost and Starlight Book Talk

Watching You- Shannon Greenland (ARC)
* * * *
This month I was sent an ARC of Watching You which was super exciting because I read Shannon Greenland's book Shadow of a Girl back in 2016 and loved it. I was really looking forward to jumping into another of her books and it was just as amazing as I was expecting. Shannon Greenland writes such great YA thriller with the edge of an irresistible romance.
Watching You officially comes out in July so make sure you pick it up!
Book Talk coming in July. 
Author Interview coming in July (!!!)

The Never Dawn- R. E. Palmer (ARC)
* * *
This was another ARC that I've been meaning to read for a while and I really enjoyed it! It's gripping from the very first page and has a nice sense of intrigue that surrounds the whole thing. I would recommend this for dystopian/sci-fi readers who love a good mystery and twist within a story.
The Never Dawn Book Talk

Falling Fast- Sophie McKenzie (Re-read)
* * *
I felt in the mood to re-read this book and I'm glad I did but... I didn't enjoy it as much as I remember I used to. There's actually four books in this series but I had to stop after the first one because I just wasn't feeling it anymore. Sure, I still like the general story but, being older now, I can really see the flaws in it- especially the characters. Where I used to love the characters and the romance, I now find the characters to be whiny and immature and realise that the relationship is actually really toxic and unhealthy. It's always a sad time when books you used to love are tainted.

Since You've Been Gone- Morgan Matson (Re-read)
* * * * *
I love this book more and more every time I read it. When I first read it, I thought it was 'meh' but too slow. The second time I read it, I loved the slow burn and appreciated the whole thing so much more. Now that I've re-read it a third time... I love it even more! So much that I've finally bumped it up to five stars. I don't know why but this book is so comforting and compelling to me. I love the characters, relationships and just have a great time reading it.

Beautiful Disaster- Jamie McGuire (Re-read)
* * * *
Once I was fully immersed in all the re-reads... it's like I suddenly couldn't stop. I wanted a guilty pleasure romance and Beautiful Disaster fits this category the best. I love this book- it's entertaining, fun and romantic. But.... it's such an unhealthy relationship! I allow myself to enjoy this book because I can clearly see how toxic the relationship is- they're co-dependent, manipulative and reckless. Everything about their relationship is crazy but... I can't help that I enjoy reading about it.
Beautiful Disaster Book Talk

the princess saves herself in this one- Amanda Lovelace
* * * *
I was in the mood for a lovely poetry book this month and there's always been a lot of hype surrounding Amanda Lovelace's anthologies. Her style is very similar to that of Rupi Kaur and R.H Sin (poets that I love) so I knew that I would likely adore her poetry as well. And I was right. the princess saves herself in this one is officially my favourite poetry anthology of all time. It was so relatable and beautiful and tragic... I fell in love at the very first page.

Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy (Gallagher Girls #2)- Ally Carter (Re-read)
* * * * *
When I'm feeling particularly down, I also go straight to nostalgic re-reads, which resulted in the Gallagher Girls falling back into my hands and my heart. The Gallagher Girls are my Harry Potter- the books that I followed throughout my childhood, except this follows a school for spies rather than wizards. I skipped the first book because I just wanted to jump straight into the juicy plot lines and re-reading this was such a great feeling.

Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls #3)- Ally Carter (Re-read)
* * * * *
I carried on straight through the series and ended up reading roughly one book per day. These books are so quick and easy to read and it also helps that I've read them countless times, meaning I can nicely skim over the unimportant parts.

Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls #4)- Ally Carter (Re-read)
* * * * *
This is my personal favourite book within the series so I had extra fun delving back into this story. I loved following the series of characters that I love with all of my heart. It brought a smile to my face every time I turned a page and it's amazing how many details I still pick up that I somehow missed before. It is sad that I'm now older than the protagonists but, as I'm reading it, I'm transported to a younger me and a simpler time which is maybe why I'm always re-reading books.

Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls #5)- Ally Carter (Re-read)
* * * *
This is my least favourite of the series and yet I read the whole thing in one sitting- maybe because I was skimming a lot of it... It's not because it's a bad book but there's certain plot lines that really hurt my soul and I struggle to read because they hit very close to home. Nevertheless, I cling to these books and bury myself in the nostalgia.

United We Spy (Gallagher Girls #6)- Ally Carter (Re-read)
* * * * *
I finished off the series pretty quickly and it was bittersweet. I love this series so much and it's very close to my heart. I'm always sad that there's not other books and that the characters that have influenced me so much have finished their journey.

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1)- Neal Shusterman
* * * * *
I've been meaning to get to this book for so long and I'm so glad I finally read it! This book is genius. It's gripping, jaw-dropping and breath-taking. It has this nice undertone of philosophical ideas which fascinates me and I flew threw it. Scythe takes place in a dystopia world where everything is perfect. Humans have completely conquered death- no more disease, deaths can be revived and old age can be turned back, making us immortal. But, to keep, population numbers down, Scythes are appointed to go around and glean people at random. Scythe follows Citra and Rowan who become apprentice Scythes who have to learn about the art of killing.
You have to read it if you haven't already. I'm begging you, you won't regret it.
Book Talk coming real soon!


MOVIES and TV
Awkward Season 4 (Re-watch)
* * * * *
I continued through the series of Awkward. This is my guilty pleasure but it's so easy and fun to watch. It's light and funny and carefree which acts as a really great distraction and a punch of feel-good happiness.

So Undercover (Re-watch)
* * *
I honestly don't know why I re-watched this. It's cheesy. It's cringey. It's pretty crappy. But it's funny to watch. It's another guilty pleasure and sure doesn't take a lot of brain power to watch which was probably why I gravitated towards it. I was in a lazy, lethargic mood and watching mindless TV is a nice thing to do in those times.

Avengers Assemble (Re-watch)
* * * * *
While I was in the mood of re-watching a tonne of stuff, I went straight to Avengers. I've never re-watched this movie but, after the emotional bomb that was Infinity War, it was really great to re-watch the original.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
* * * * * 
I went to watch this at the cinema with my mum and loved every second. I think it's so much better than the original with better characters, great development and better action sequences. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and found it endlessly entertaining.
Jurassic World Movie Talk


Westworld Season 2
* * * * *

Technically, I've watched this twice because I re-watched every single episode twice after it first aired. I've been watching this series over the course of ten weeks as it's aired on TV and it's been the best thing ever! I had to re-watch every episode to truly take all the minor and spectacular details while also taking notes down for my reviews. Westworld is one of my all-time favourite shows because it's so intricate- every single detail is planned and has a deeper and philosophical meaning which is beyond compelling to watch.
Season 2 was even better than season 1 with a record number of twists and turns and amazing monologues and beautiful shots. The acting in this show is phenomenal and everything about it exceeds any expectations.
Now only two years to wait for the next season... I'm gonna go crazy.
Season 2:  2x01  |  2x02  |  2x03  |  2x04  |  2x05  |  2x06  |  2x07  |  2x08  |  2x09  | 2x10 to come!!


Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment