Thursday 14 June 2018

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom MOVIE TALK

* * * * *
I absolutely loved this movie. It exceeded my expectations by such a huge mile and I was transfixed through every single minute. 
The first movie is good, don't get me wrong, but I enjoyed this so much more! The characters were so much more fleshed out and interesting in this one and all the little annoyances I had with them had fizzled out. We were also introduced to a bunch of new characters and they were so much more entertaining than the ones in the first movie. 
The action sequences came hard and fast and they were all pretty damn epic. I lost count of the beautiful number of shots and the whole pace of the movie was fantastic. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and this is a perfect example of how sequels should be made. 

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
Let's start with characters because that's what I was impressed with most.
In the first movie, I liked Claire but I didn't love her- she was a little stuck-up, spoilt and too into the financial benefits of the park. I found her to be a little annoying. But this movie changed everything. From the very beginning, she was passionate and willing to fight for the dinosaurs and she had this determination that felt really empowering. I love how strong and independent she was through this film and her choice of shoes was infinitely better than the dreaded high heels from last time.

Owen was as amazing as always because who doesn't love Chris Pratt? I enjoyed seeing more of the bond he'd established with Blue in the past as it made the way Blue jumped in to save them a little more realistic.
We were also introduced to a bunch of new characters who I loved. We had Zia, who was a dinosaur-vet that worked in Claire's Dinosaur Protection Group. I loved Zia- she was feisty, fierce and really held her own against anything that came up to her. It was really nice to have such strong female roles in a movie- and not just physically able but smart too.
Then there was Franklin. I think Franklin was made to be the character that the audience could relate to. Because, if I'm being honest, if I was surrounded by dinosaurs trying to eat me, I wouldn't be epically dodging teeth and shooting down the enemy. I'd be Franklin: screaming and panicking. But, regardless, he made me laugh a whole lot and his character added a very light and entertaining aspect.
And, finally, my last favourite new character was Maisie. From the very beginning she was curious and smart and she grew to be really important to the film. She was super brave and defended herself really well against the dinosaurs- especially someone of her age!
In terms of plot, I thought the whole thing was very well paced and, despite my initial worry that it might get a bit boring after they'd left the island, that definitely wasn't the case.
We start the movie with Claire fighting for the lives of the dinosaurs in her Dinosaur Protection Group. We're quickly introduced to Eli Mills who looked a little shifty from the beginning (it's always the charming ones in suits...). He tells Claire that they're planning to save eleven species of dinosaurs and set up a safe haven for them to live. Claire, understandably, is immediately on board and they set off on the extraction mission with Owen in tow because of how great he is with Blue.
I loved watching the entire extraction mission. The section was a lot quicker than I thought it'd be but it was so much fun to see them try and track down the dinosaurs as well as run from an erupting volcano. And by fun, I mean, I'd most likely die if I was in their situation but it's still entertaining to watch.
They get double crossed pretty quickly and Zia is taken with the extraction team while the others are left for dead. Owen is tranquillised and for some reason, I found the whole scene with him rolling away from the pooling lava really funny... I don't know what that says about me.
They run from the island and nearly drown under water before narrowly making back on the land. This entire movie was close calls with death but there's also that calming knowledge that it's very unlikely a main character is gonna die.
They just about manage to make it onto the boat and I'll admit I got a little tearful when we had this look back at the island and had to watch the abandoned dinosaurs crumbling under the volcano... it was sad! From here, I thought the movie would slow down a bit and the action would take a side seat while all the negotiations and business of the dinosaurs took place. But that was certainly not what happened and I'm so glad.
The group need to help heal Blue after she'd been shot so Claire and Owen head off to get some blood needed for a transfusion. As luck would have it, the T-Rex blood was needed and made for a great scene! Claire and Owen bounce off each other so well and their dialogue is so entertaining to watch. Pair that with stabbing needles into a T-Rex and praying for their lives and you get a top-notch scene.
They follow the cars to the Lockwood mansion where we discover that the dinosaurs are set to be sold to wealthy parties. We also have the reveal of a new creation: the indo-raptor. Honestly, every time they create another dinosaur that's deadlier and harder to take down... it's really a face-palm moment. You'd think humans would be smarter but, nope. All faith in humanity has disappeared.
And then, a scene I'm sure everyone was so shocked to watch, the indo-raptor escaped from it's cage. Because that was never set to happen the moment it was introduced. It runs around the estate, hunting for any prey it can sink its teeth into and it just so happens to set its sight on Owen, Claire and Maisie, who have broken free from their respective cages and are trying to shut down the selling of dinosaurs.
We briefly have a scene where Eli Mills intercepts them and drops the bomb that Maisie was created and not born- just like the dinosaurs. And this felt like a massive plot twist but... it actually didn't mean anything. I feel like it was kinda brushed over and everyone shrugged it off like it was something that happened every day. 
The indo-raptor ensues a massive chase, gunning after our main characters and I loved the scene with Maisie hiding in her room. It felt almost horror-esque with the dinosaur claw inching closer and closer to her. I'm pretty sure I jumped a mile high a couple of times as well. Owen charges in to rescue Maisie but Blue also intercepts the indo-raptor, engaging it in a fight.
Owen leads Maisie outside but the indo-raptor follows, having beaten off Blue for the time being. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time as they scaled the rooftops, running away from the indo-raptor. Claire resurfaces, despite the wound in her leg from earlier and it was such an empowering moment! Here, we have a heroine who charges in to save the day despite a gaping wound in her leg! Definite feminism points awarded.
She points the target at Owen, distracting the indo-raptor as Blue pulls herself together and attacks it once more. They fall through the roof and the indo-raptor is impaled and... it was just so satisfying!
The group all come together again and Maisie frees all of the dinosaurs instead of watching them die. If it were me, I would've said adios and let all the dinosaurs die because, let's face it, they were extinct before humans got involved (typical) and screwed everything up for ourselves.
But, we finish the movie with humans having to co-exist with the dinosaurs now out in the wild... which I thought was pretty stupid. I'm not a massive fan of this ending as it seems too unrealistic and like loose ends weren't tied up properly. But I'm sure it's just leaving a nice opportunity for a third movie if the producers decide they can squeeze more money out of the franchise (oooh, the cynicism).

Overall, I absolutely loved this movie. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and both the action sequences and character development was done brilliantly.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

2 comments:

  1. I am going to be completely honest and admit that I got bored... like to the extent I physically fell asleep in the cinema (yes, it's embarrassing).
    There were parts I liked and I loved the new characters but... I prefer the first one

    ReplyDelete