Monday 25 September 2017

Westworld 1x01 'The Original' TV TALK

I'm so intrigued with this show. There are a few things that went over my head but, generally, I can't stop thinking about it.
This show has a weird blend of dystopian, sci-fi and Western culture which shouldn't work but.... kinda does. We frequently switch between the western setting and the dystopian scene which can sometimes be quite jarring. I can't put my finger on why I like it but I'm finding it super compelling and it has me theorising and analysing all sorts of things.
The show follows our world in the future where technology has progressed so much that we've created hosts (robots) that are essentially human (think Terminator). Westworld is a western theme park that rich people can visit to get the full western experience- visiting brothels and even killing hosts. The hosts reset every day (forgetting the previous days) and repeat every day- maybe slightly different depending on their interaction with the guests. However, some of the hosts are malfunctioning and going off script. And then stuff goes down.

I sometimes gets confused with who's a host and who's human but I think that's a bit of the point. It just took me a while to get my head around how it all worked.
Generally, I'm quite enjoying this and am interested to learn more about the world and how the hosts really work.

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
This episode was just an introduction really, and I tried to get my head around everything.
I spent the whole episode thinking that Dolores ad Teddy were human when I probably should've realised they were hosts from how they did the same thing every day.... I was still trying to process everything at this point.
It also took me a while to realise that the hosts don't know they're not real- they think this western world is actually reality. Once I had that in my head, it was easier to follow.
A lot of the time I did get confused between who was human and who was a host which made it hard to process what was happening and who would really die. For example. I found the killings weird- were the planned or not? And how do they make sure they only kill hosts and not humans?
I liked Dolores and wanted to spend more time with her but we kept switching back to the modern world where the show runners were investigating all the malfunctions.
The main issue was that the hosts (namely Dolores' father) are malfunctioning and doing things off-script. Dolores' father was beginning to retrieve memories from previous lives that he wasn't supposed to have. By the end of the episode, Dolores' father was replaced and it was shocking at how quickly and effortlessly that transition was- Dolores obviously didn't notice a thing.  
Another part that I'm a little confused with is the Man in Black. Is he a human or host? And what did he want with Dolores? Why did he kill Teddy? And why didn't he get hurt by the guns?? And also, why is he interested in this mentioned maze? What's that about?
Yes, this pilot left me with many questions but it's a pretty good grip method- I want to find out!!
Hopefully we'll have answers soon- I hate having to wait for this sort of stuff.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment