Saturday 6 October 2018

Restore Me- Tahereh Mafi BOOK TALK

* * *
I was both a little disappointed and pleasantly surprised with this book which is a weird feeling to try and navigate my thoughts around.
One half of me is disappointed because the plot wasn't as fun or all-consuming as the original trilogy. This book is very much strategic and careful plotting rather than any particular action.
And I also wasn't a massive fan of where some of these characters are going (aka. all of these characters are going). The original trilogy has such beautiful character development for so many different characters but, from what this book has set up, I'm not looking forward to who the characters are turning into. However, I was rather... intrigued by these developments, shall we say. Particularly Juliette. Part of me is saddened by what she's becoming and yet the other part of me is sort of... oddly empowered. Nevertheless, these new additions to the series promise major changes.
As much as I love these characters, I have to admit that these extra books coming out probably weren't necessary. I would've been perfectly happy with the original trilogy arc and sometimes the plot points and 'twists' in this book felt forced.


SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
There were so many character changes that I don't even know where to start but, firstly, holy crap what was that ending?!? Through the main chunk of the book, I didn't feel like much was actually happening. There was a lot of planning and talking and strategising but it felt a little bland at times.

But those last couple of chapters crammed in all the missing action! Juliette is now seriously unhinged and the guilt from killing all those people is definitely going to affect her in further books.
I couldn't help but feel really sorry for Warner in this book. He kept his grief hidden and suppressed and reading in his perspective really allowed us to see past the confident exterior he presents to everyone else.
I can feel the tables turning already. Warner was once the one who was harsh and emotionless but since then he's learnt to be compassionate and caring. Juliette, on the other hand, has always been so in touch with her emotions but has hardened in this book. She's growing cold, distant and objective. And despite the feeling that she's becoming more and more evil and like Anderson... it's kind of empowering. To see her take hold of her power, to have confidence in herself when the entire first part of the book she was wallowing in self-doubt and embarrassment... it's empowering as heck. But I can see her getting a little out of control later and Warner being the one to pull her back to her humanity like she did for him.
We have a lot of issues between Juliette and Warner which I liked but didn't like because they're my ship and I want them to be happy forever. But I do think it was realistic. In Ignite Me, we're all too happy to fall in love with Warner and Juliette together but we never actually considered the realities of it. How secretive he is. How he doesn't share much. His past. Her anger. Her experience. And this book really explores how those issues take control of them- especially as they're both particularly bad at communicating in this book. For some reason, I think Warner might die at the end of this series. I wouldn't be surprised.
It's such an odd feeling because normally I'm a sucker for romance and desperately want the couple to sort out their differences and end up together. But this time, I couldn't care less if Juliette ends up by herself because she's strong and grown so much and that's exhilarating.
I think it was a bit of a cliche move for Juliette to cut her hair but it was empowering how she owned it.
We have this main 'plot twist' reveal of Juliette being adopted and having a sister and yada yada yada but I didn't care about this plot line at all. I wasn't expecting it but it didn't shock me either. Juliette's newly discovered past was difficult for me to sort out in my head and it felt too forced, like Mafi had just created this purely so she could get some more money from this series. I hate to be so cynical but... there we go.
We met a couple of new characters and I like Nazeera the best. She's cool, confident and definitely endgame with Kenji. Don't even try to convince me otherwise!
Kenji was the character the kept me going through this book with his humour and I wished we'd had more of him. I missed seeing more of old characters like Adam and James and the whole book felt very isolated. Both Juliette and Warner were both so alone and vulnerable and reading in their perspectives made me feel alone and cut off from the world which was disorientating.

Overall, I don't really think this book had to exist but I'll continue the series just to see how it all ends.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment