Saturday 13 October 2018

I saw Wicked!!!!

Last week, me, my mum and my brother went to see Wicked at a local theatre and it was amazing!! I'd only ever really heard the soundtrack once so I wasn't too familiar with the plot and it was actually really fun to watch it like that! The Wizard of Oz has to be one of my all-time favourite musicals so I knew I'd immediately love anything revolved around the story. And, in the best way, Wicked feels like a production made up entirely of fan theories.
So, of course, I documented the evening and I love writing these posts because it's fun to look back at these and remember everything that happened (mainly because my memory is like a sieve).

This was an evening performance so it didn't take up the whole day but it was such a lovely evening. I went with my mum and brother which was nice because, while I usually go to shows with my mum, my brother never does. So, Wicked was a nice change.
We had a bit of time before the show so took the train down to Southampton and went into the Theatre Restaurant that's just outside the theatre. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with the restaurant. There was a 45 minute wait for food so we had to rush in order to get to the show on time and the food options were very limited and subpar at best. Still, 45 minutes gives plenty of time for selfies and lovely shots of my Wicked inspired nails.

We finally made it to theatre and, despite it being overwhelming hot in there and making me question my poor decision of wearing a scarf, it was lovely. The Mayflower Theatre has recently undergone refurbishments and you can definitely tell the difference.
And then.... the show.
Honestly, I was so impressed. I wasn't that familiar with the show or the plot and it was nice to experience everything live for the first time. My favourites had to be Elphaba (Amy Ross). She had a beautiful voice, excellent timing and made the role really funny (not that I have any points of comparison). Elphaba, and actually the entire show in general, had much more humour than I ever thought it would and it was a pleasant surprise.

Glinda (Helen Woolf) was also amazing and hilarious but I'll be the first to admit that, if I met someone like her in real life, I would not be wasting precious seconds of my life to talk to her.
I did like the role of Fiyero (Aaron Sidwell) and thought he had a good arc over the plot but... his vocals couldn't outmatch the girls by far. He was a great dancer and performer but a couple of his vocals fell flat and weren't any match when compared to the girls.
What I love most about Wicked is that it feels like it's completely made up if fan theories. Elphaba is the Wizard's daughter? Sure, why not. The scarecrow (Fiyero) has a romantic past with the wicked witch? Shove it in there. Dorothy doesn't actually kill the wicked witch who, instead fakes her death? What could possibly go wrong! It's a nice blend of clever links and crazy fan theories that really works so well.
Sure, Wicked will never be my favourite musical (Hamilton, Heathers and Dear Evan Hansen make me sob way to much to ever consider Wicked superior) but it was still a lot of fun and very entertaining to watch.


(I actually found some Youtube audio clips of the cast that we saw so I'll link them where I can). Through the performance, my favourite scenes had to be Defying Gravity and No Good Deed (which Amy Ross slayed!!!). I was really surprised by how much I liked What Is This Feeling? It was finny and the choreography was great. Popular was also hilarious and Dancing Through Life was pretty good too. As well as The Wizard and I and As Long as You're Mine. And let me stop there before I end up saying every single song of the entire musical...
Overall, it was a great and entertaining show and any lovers of both musical theatre and the Wizard of Oz should definitely be lining up to see it.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

2 comments:

  1. So cool that you saw Wicked! It was in theaters here a long time ago and I didn't go and I have been regretting that decision ever since!!!

    ReplyDelete