Tuesday 9 October 2018

What Books Would I Save? - Hypothetical Talk Time

For some reason, I was lying awake at night and I got to thinking: what books would I save if my house caught on fire? Don't ask me why I was thinking this. I was sleep-deprived and a little out of my mind. But I still decided to make a blog post about it. Don't ask me why. I'm very sleep-deprived and a little out of my mind.
So, here's the scenario: If my house were burning down and I had just enough to save ten books from my shelves, what would they be? (Because this hypothetical fire is big enough to be critical but mercifully gradual enough to allow me to stop, think and carry ten books to safety without my lungs being screwed up with smoke or my skin being burnt by flames.) Aren't hypothetical fires fun?
Now, this list may be missing some of my favourite books but the idea is to take irreplaceable books. Plenty of books I'd be able to buy another copy of so I've tried to stick to copies that have a personal relevance to me.


Glass Houses (the Morganville Vampires #1)- Rachel Caine
This was the first book that initially came to mind because, not only is it one of my favourites and one that brings a truckload of nostalgia and warm feelings along with it, but it's also personally signed by the author. I went to meet Rachel Caine back in 2016 (original ancient post here if you're interested) and it was the first (and only) time I've met one of my favourite authors. Let's just say it holds sentimental feelings for me.

A Court of Mist and Fury (ACOTAR #2)- Sarah J. Maas
I had to pick this book. No matter what, ACOMAF was always going to be saved. Sure this is slightly more easily replaceable but having said that, my copy is signed. It's not personally signed or anything but it's my favourite book and naturally it'd be one of the first books I picked up.

Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass #5)- Sarah J. Maas (American Edition)
Again, this book is fairly replaceable but I'd specifically save my copy that I got when I went to New York because it's a beautiful art edition and I have fond memories of how I got it. New York is my favourite place I've ever been to and this book is a sort of memento of my time there.

If I Die (Soul Screamers #5)- Rachel Vincent 
Before I Wake (Soul Screamers #6)- Rachel Vincent
With All My Soul (Soul Screamers #7)- Rachel Vincent
I'll stick these all together. The Soul Screamers series is my Harry Potter. It was my childhood obsession and it was one of the series that truly got me into reading. Sure, I probably couldn't save the entire series but the last three books are my favourite and I'd get them to safety first. I particularly want to save my original copies because they have loads of post-it notes and bookmarks stuck on all my favourite pages and scenes. I did this a lot to my favourite books when I was younger and wouldn't want to lose that in a fire.


Cross my Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls #2)- Ally Carter
Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls #4)- Ally Carter
And these books were my other Harry Potter books. The Gallagher Girls series was the other series that truly kick started my addiction to fiction (what a rhyme!) and these two of the series are my favourites. These books just make me feel so happy and in touch with my childhood and, despite their cracked spines and yellowing pages, I wouldn't have them any other way.

Soulmates- Holly Bourne
Soulmates is an old favourite of mine and this copy is battered and broken and spine-cracked because I've read it dozens of times. Holly Bourne is one of my favourite contemporary authors and this was the first book that got me obsessed with her work. I first read this when I was probably around 10 years old and so this book means a lot to me.

Undone- Cat Clarke
And, finally, I'd go to another of my all-time favourite contemporaries. I re-read this book every year and, though this copy has definitely seen better days, it's mine and I'd definitely want to save it. It's such a beautiful cover and I've had it for so long, there's no way I could part with it. 


And just for some added fun, here are ten books that I would definitely want to save (maybe if I had time to go back for another ten) but don't have that personal story that would make me want to keep this specific copy. I'd easily be able to replace them...

Deity (the Covenant series #3)- Jennifer L. Armentrout
Apollyon (the Covenant series #4)- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
Origin (the Lux series #4)- Jennifer L. Armentrout
Every Last Breath (the Dark Elements #3)- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
Ignite Me (the Shatter Me series #3)- Tahereh Mafi
Cress (the Lunar Chronicles #3)- Marissa Meyer
Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1)- Neal Shusterman 
November 9- Colleen Hoover 
The DUFF- Kody Keplinger 
To All the Boys I've Loved Before- Jenny Han

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts- what books would you save? Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment