Saturday 24 November 2018

Tower of Dawn- Sarah J. Maas BOOK TALK

*  *  *  *  *
(Irrelevant sidenote: I'm so happy this post is my 500th post on my blog!)
This book surprised me so much! I was very sceptical going in because Empire of Storms is so action packed and epic and the thought of switching to a story line of plain politics and negotiations was just far from appealing. But I'm very sorry to have doubted you, Sarah, because I absolutely loved this book!
I've always been a massive fan of Chaol and I really liked reading his redemption arc through this book. He grows so much as a person and I love that Chaol gets a good spotlight when he's received so much hate from the fandom over previous books. He had such great character development and it's made me love Chaol even more than I ever did.
The focus on disability throughout the book was so incredibly well-written and I can't ever thank Sarah enough for it. Instead of a journey of physical progress, Chaol struggled through the emotional traumas of such physical limitations and the message that being in a wheelchair doesn't make you any less of a person was so important. Having a strong character in a wheelchair in a fantasy story is so unheard of and I think Sarah has to be truly commended for how well she portrayed these particular struggles.
The other characters introduced were also super interesting and learning about the completely different culture of the Southern Continent was fascinating.
So, while I had many doubts going into this book, I can now happily say that it's my second favourite book of the entire series so far, after Empire of Storms, of course.
And I also have to stress that you need to read this book before Kingdom of Ash! Just because this is a little side book following Chaol, it is still vital to the plot and you'll be so lost in Kingdom of Ash if you skip it! There are crucial plot twists that will effect the finale so please don't disregard this book and think it's not necessary to read!

AMAZON

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
We'll start with Nesryn and Sartaq because, frankly, I didn't really care about them so we might as well get them over and done with so we can then get into the juicy stuff.
It was pretty obvious from the beginning that they'd get together but I don't mind because they're really suited to each other and it was nice to see more of Nesryn and watch her break out of her shell a bit. She didn't have a huge role in Queen of Shadows so it was nice to learn more about her.
Nesryn's plot line focused mainly around the Ruks and the legion that acts as Sartaq's second family. Seeing the whole family dynamic of the Ruk legion was sweet because, in a family where the children have to compete all their lives to become the Khagan, it was nice that Sartaq found another family he could trust.
I don't know if I missed a description while reading but I was picturing the Ruk differently in every other scene. At first I pictured a sort of Pegasus creature but eventually settled on a griffin-like creature. (Basically, I was picturing Buckbeak from Harry Potter). And while I liked the Ruks, if I had a choice, I'd definitely want a wyvern.

We met a new character, Falkan, and as soon as it was revealed that he was a shapeshifter and had a long-lost niece in Erilea…. it didn't take a genius to figure out that Lysandra is his relative. But now I'm super excited for yet another reunion! I think it would be really nice for Lysandra to find out she still has family left and I'm sure Falkan will be so proud of her when he finds out all the brave things she did in Empire of Storms.
We learn so much more about the history of the Stygian spiders (kharankui) and I was amazed to find out they're actually Valg guarding the Wyrdgate!!! Learning the major plot twist about who Maeve really is smacked me round the face and I didn't even know what to do with myself!!
Maeve is a Valg Queen and we are in for total shit in KOA!!!
I do find the whole story of her and the three Valg kings interesting. That she married the eldest Valg king, Orcus, but felt trapped in their world so used the Wyrdgates to escape to another world and hide there. She must be super freaking powerful to convince the goddesses Mab and Mala that she's actually their sister and it terrifies me for what's to come in the finale.
I'm also worried about the other two Valg kings. Sure, Erawan is our most pressing issue at the moment but whatever happened to the other two was so vague that I think they could definitely come back. It was only mentioned that they'd been banished but how and why and where and there's too many factors and I'm terrified all the Valg kings will unite in the finale!!
In a way, this plot twist has even made me feel sorry for Maeve. She was trapped and sought to be free of the Valg kings and so fled, hiding herself so she could live in a world of peace and light instead of darkness and evil. Who can begrudge her that? Especially when she brought her maidens with her (the Stygian spiders).

I'm super excited for the others to find out because knowing that Aelin is not only being tortured but by a Valg Queen is all the more horrifying!
And now onto happier things....Chaol!
Tower of Dawn has really allowed me to consider and assess just why I love Chaol Westfall so much and I've come to the conclusion that it's because, out of everyone in the series, I'm most like Chaol. He's quite distant and stoic when you first meet him and I'm like that because I'm so shy and introverted. We don't exactly come across as chatty people- especially at first- and we tend to sit back and listen rather than speak up constantly, taking the time to listen and understand and assess. He's better once you knock his walls down and get to know him. He's a terrible prude. He has a dry and subtle sense of humour. And we're both tragically terrible when it comes to talking about our feelings, insecurities and vulnerabilities. We have physical limitations that sometimes hinder our everyday life (though, I'm grateful to not be in Chaol's position just yet) and last but not least, he's so beautifully and loyally mortal in a world of magic. And that would be me. When everyone is cool with magic and wyverns and healing powers, I'd be the plain mortal still slugging forward anyway.
So, Chaol, I relate to you on a physical and spiritual level and, while you may not be as exciting or entertaining as the other characters of the series, you're one of my favourites.
Yrene was also awesome. It was so lovely to see how far she's come since The Assassin's Blade and I'm ridiculously proud of how much she's grown- both through her healing and teaching other women self-defence. Aelin would be so proud and I cannot wait for that reunion!
I immediately shipped Chaol and Yrene from their very first scene together. What I loved most about their relationship was that Yrene never treated Chaol any differently because of his disability. She didn't go easy on him, pity him or treat him like he was any less of a human. They fight and challenge each other and my favourite scenes were the ones with just the two of them.

The princess Hasar forced Yrene to try and get information about Aelin from Chaol and I loved how Yrene just told Chaol what she'd been forced to do. Yrene didn't scheme or keep secrets and I love the lack of meaningless drama! Yrene was honest and passionate and sassy and I love every part of her. But when Chaol fed 'false' information that Aelin would be in Skull's Bay because that's the last place she would go.... I face-palmed and then laughed my head off! Does Chaol not know Aelin at all?!? If it's the last thing he thinks she would do, then it's gonna be the first thing she would!! Gods, that scene was hilarious.
I loved watching the healing process and how slow-burning it was. I had tears in my eyes when Chaol eventually stood for the first time and I loved how Yrene kept telling him to 'get up get up get up' because it was such a nice parallel of Chaol telling Celaena to get up all those books ago. And, from then, the ship sails and I'm obsessed with this new pairing!
As a loyal Chaolaena shipper, I love the realisation that Chaol brought Aelin to her love by sending her to Wendlyn and that Aelin brought Chaol to his love by saving Yrene all those years ago and sending them both to the Southern Continent. It's such a lovely parallel and I think it provides perfect closure to Chaolaena.
Yrene finds out that she can banish a Valg from a human body like it's a parasite and this could change the game! This makes Yrene so damn vital to our side and it makes me a little more at ease to know that if anyone ends up with a collar around their necks, Yrene can help get rid of the Valg.
Hasar brought word of the battle between Aelin and Maeve and this whole situation tears me up inside! They know about Rowan convincing a third of Maeve's fleet to turn on themselves, that there was a shapeshifter, that the Wendlyn armada (Galan) came as well as the silent assassins from the red desert and it's all great! But no one knows Aelin is actually Lysandra and that real Aelin is being tortured!!! Chaol thinks they're all fine!! And my heart can't deal!!!
The pregnant princess Duva turns out to be the secret Valg in our midst and she attacks Yrene and Chaol which had me on the edge of my seat! And when Chaol used his back as a shield to save Yrene… I was not prepared to accept that sacrifice! Chaol gave up his progress and his walking because he knew Yrene was more important and if you still don't love Chaol after this book, you're heartless!!

The focus on disability throughout this book was so incredibly well-written and I can't ever thank Sarah J. Maas enough to have a disabled character in a fantasy book. While Chaol breaking his back again at the end of the book means the physical progress was for nothing, his emotional journey was complete. He truly came to terms with how being in a wheelchair doesn't make him any less of a person and it was such a strong message that Sarah needs to be commended for.
Yrene manages to save Chaol but with the price that they are now linked so that if one of them dies, they both die. But, honestly, I love that because now they'll never have to live without each other. Chaol's walking ability depends on how strong Yrene's power is and this whole linking business kind of feels like they basically mates now... which I love!
Sartaq becomes the heir to the Khagnate and Nesryn is essentially in line to rule beside him now which is awesome!
And Chaol and Yrene got married which I'm thrilled with!! Yrene finally shows Chaol the note from the 'mysterious stranger' in her past and when Chaol instantly recognises the hand-writing as Celaena's, I was crying! It was so beautiful and I'm equally terrified and excited for the next book!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

2 comments: