Saturday 10 November 2018

Killing Eve Season 1 TV TALK

* * * * *
I would give this show a million stars if I could. Honestly, it's one of the best shows I've seen this year. It reminds me why I love psychological thrillers/dramas so much and that I need to get into more shows like this because they are everything!
Killing Eve had everything I could possibly want; female assassins, humour, thrills... it's just too good. It's essentially about a female assassin, Villanelle, who is getting investigated by professional, Eve. They grow a sort of fascination and obsession with each other and, as Eve tries to track down Villanelle, it becomes a sort of cat-and-mouse game. The series is full of gripping sequences, brilliant humour and a subtle sexual tension that creates such an epic season. I'm already counting down the days to season 2!
Please, just watch the trailer at least, and you'll be convinced that you need this show in your life!




SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
Instantly, I was struck by how funny this show was. You don't expect so much humour in a psychological thriller/drama show but it added such a brilliant element that made each episode more and more addictive. Particularly, Villanlle was absolutely hilarious. And I think that's what makes this show so fresh and gripping. It's not often that audiences can fall in love with a psychopathic assassin but, with Villanelle's striking humour, it was all too easy.

Eve was also super funny and interesting to follow. She was quirky, head-strong and funny.
What really drove the show was Eve and Villanelle's obsession with each other. They're always in the same place, tagging and tracking each other and it caused me to be on the edge of my seat all the damn time! I absolutely loved it when Villanelle sent Eve her suitcase full of new clothes and later when Eve leaves the same note where Villanelle had hidden a stash of passports and money. They were teasing and taunting each other the whole time and it was like the best cat and mouse game ever. Though, it's really up to personal opinion to decide who's the cat and who's the mouse.
Every episode I was waiting for their eventual meeting and I wasn't disappointed when Villanelle showed up at Eve's house for dinner. There was such an overbearing sexual tension between them and, if I'm being honest, I'm a little disappointed that they hadn't kissed by the end of the season. Fingers crossed for season two.

Although our main focus was on Villanelle and Eve, we had an assortment of side characters that my opinions varied on. I loved Kenny particularly but others like Elena, Konstantin and Carolyn, I couldn't really give two hoots about. Although, I do think their relationships with our two leads were interesting.
Particularly, it was super interesting to see the odd bond between Villanelle and Konstantin. I think they have a genuine bond and care for one another but, through the series, it twisted sort of and I think it's all too possible that Villanelle will kill him in a future season.
I also think Eve is headed straight for a divorce with her husband, Nico. We didn't see much of them but Eve's fascination with Villanelle created a rift between the pair and, in all honesty, I can't even say I care that their marriage is breaking to pieces. Because I sort of, unashamedly, ship Villanelle and Eve. Sue me.
When binge watching this whole season, I didn't think there was even going to be a season two so I was kind of waiting for the whole thing to tie up nicely in the end. And, though the ending had many a loose end, I'm so unbelievably excited for season 2. I need more Jodie Comer as Villanelle. I'm already counting down days.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

2 comments:

  1. I really like this show. I watched to see how to compared to Jason Bourne, and was blow away. I haven't read books, so I don't know if the show exceeded them.

    I'll probably do an episode recaps for Season 2 on my blog (https://nsutilitieslog.blogspot.com/). You should also check out The Enemy Within, it's not as exciting as Killing Eve, but it's fun if you like the spy genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Enemy Within sounds cool! Thanks for the recommendation!
      I'm also hoping to do episode reviews for Season 2 but with Game of Thrones starting as well (not to mention I have exams soon) I'm afraid I might get snowed under! Maybe I'l just read your episode recaps instead XD
      xx

      Delete