Tuesday 13 November 2018

Heir of Fire- Sarah J. Maas BOOK TALK

* * * * *
When I first this book, I was frankly disappointed. It was slow, sluggish and I just wasn't interested. But this re-read has changed everything for me. Having known what was going to happen in both this book and the two books ahead, it made me so much more invested in the characters because I knew where their journey took them and how much they've grown. It was so fun to see where they started off and compare to how they are in Empire of Storms.
I made sure to take in all the details because this series can get really complex and confusing at times. But, with this re-read, I took in everything and I'm having the time of my life.
As always, I preferred some plot lines over others but, generally, I was so much more invested and excited than I ever have over this series which makes me even more pumped to re-read Queen of Shadows and Empire of Storms before reading the final two books for the first time! I'm equal amounts excited and terrified!



SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
-This review contains Queen of Shadows and Empire of Storms as well-
I've decided to write up this review in order of my favourite story lines so, unsurprisingly, Aelin and Rowan go first.
I love the whole development of their relationship. They go from hating each other completely to growing closer and becoming carranam which was so fun to read about. And, honestly, the whole platonic side to their relationship and 'never thinking of each other that way' is kind of funny when you've read Empire of Storms and know exactly where they end up.

Celaena definitely has a hard time in this book and there's so much she has to work through but, by the end, it's super rewarding to see how far she's come. She grows into her magic and her birth right and finally accepts herself as Aelin by the end.

I couldn't remember all the ins and outs of what happened with Maeve and the blood oaths but, rereading, it all seemed a little two easy. Aelin manages to bargain Rowan out of his blood oath so quickly and it's almost too simple. Maeve seems all too powerful and cunning to just let Rowan go in place of a ring. And, sure, it's a ring that defends the wearer from being infiltrated by the Valg but still... at that point, she knows that Aelin and Rowan are mates and surely she should realise that they'd be super powerful together and pose a major threat to her.
We have the fight with Narrok and the Valg princes and it's the first time we truly see the extent of Aelin's power. She obliterates them with fire and it was epic! Knowing how close Aelin and Rowan become in the next couple of books, it was extra powerful to see them as carranam and joining their magic to defeat the Valg.
They finish the book with Aelin set to return to Erilea as Celaena. I remember being super pumped at this part and reading it once again in no way lessened that effect.
My second favourite plot line was Chaol and Aedion. I know a lot of people hate on Chaol, but I love him to death. And I'd completely forgotten that we were introduced to Aedion so early which was exciting.
In this book, I loved seeing Chaol struggling between where his loyalties lie. He's always been so loyal to the King and Adarlan but we slowly see him realising what they really do and it's great to see him finally rebelling against the king by the end. I think people don't consider what Chaol's been through and appreciate how far he's come enough.
And, there's also Aedion, who you just have to love. I love his loyalty to Aelin and it was great to see him rallying behind her and having so much faith when he hasn't even seen her in ten years.
Next favourite, Manon.
When reading this book for the first time, I hated Manon. I found her storyline boring and slow when I just wanted to be reading about Celaena. Now, however, I appreciated her journey a lot more. Knowing how much she grows in the next books, it was lovely to see the kernels of change in her already, set to grow even more in the future.
I do quite like the story of Manon choosing Abraxos as her wyvern against all odds and training him  until he's good enough. They've got such a lovely bond and I think the entire fandom loves Abraxos.
It was also interesting to see Manon become Wing Leader and save the Blueblood heir in the war games. It was nice to see humanity sparking in her already and really had me excited to continue on with her journey. I can't even wait for her to meet Dorian because I'm a hard-core Manorian shipper and the absence of them in this book was heart-breaking. They're such an unlikely pair but it works so well!
Talking of Dorian, he and Sorscha succeeded in being my least favourite plot line of the entire book! I don't care about Dorian trying to suppress his magic and I care even less about his romance with Sorscha. We knew it'd be pretty short lived from the second they met and I never got invested in their relationship. I couldn't really bring myself to be upset when she died. I remember being shocked when I first read this book but I was always way too preoccupied with Dorian being injected (is that the right word?) with a Valg prince instead.

Overall, I enjoyed this much more than when I'd first read it and I'm so excited that I'm finally getting to the epic books of the series. The first few are tame compared to Empire of Storms.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

2 comments:

  1. COMMENT CONTAINS SPOILERS
    The more I read your reviews, the more I feel like I've found a kindred spirit. I hated Manon for a long time, but finally warmed to her. And Dorian and Sorscha? Obviously doomed from the outset, and so even if I could have cared about her (she was too stereotypical for my liking), it was clear to me that their relationship wouldn't last long enough for it to matter.
    My biggest problem with this book was that I was shipping Aelin with too many people all at the same time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely kindred spirits! (I love that :D)
      I totally agree! I felt super conflicted between Rowan and Chaol in this book. There was still a part of me that held out hope for Chaolaena which made Queen of Shadows quite difficult for me to read because they were constantly arguing!

      Delete