Tuesday 20 November 2018

Throne of Glass BOOK TAG

I found this tag on the Book Addicts Guide blog and I'll link it if you want to go over and check out that post!
Honestly, I'm stunned as to why I haven't done this before. I've loved this series for years and it's just occurred to me that I've never done a tag for it! Better late than never, I suppose.

This is a great tag but I will briefly question why the hell characters like Kaltain, Asterin and Fleetfoot (even swords like Damaris!) made it as questions while Dorian and Aedion didn't...

Lysandra- A book with a cover change you loved
Shatter Me- Tahereh Mafi
I think anyone will say that this cover changed for the better. The original is so cheesy and tacky and I don't like it at all. But the newer editions are gorgeous. Sure, the relevance to the plot itself is a little sketchy but all of those doubts are forgotten when you see how beautiful these covers are!
Shatter Me Book Review

Abraxos- A book that's better on the inside than it looks on the outside
The DUFF- Kody Keplinger
I hate the cover to this book. Hate it with a passion. And it annoys the hell out of me because this is one of my favourite ever contemporary books! It's so much better than this sloppy and amateur-ish cover and I bet so many people have been put off the story because of the hideous cover! Which frustrates me so much!

Erilea- A series with great world-building
Scythe- Neal Shusterman
Everything about this book is perfect, including the world building. Scythe is set in a world where humans have conquered death; we can make our bodies younger, cure any disease and bring ourselves back from the brink. But, to prevent overpopulation issues, Scythe's are appointed to glean lives at random.
This whole world is so fascinating and, through the second book, Thunderhead, you learn more and more about this dystopian-fantasy-esque world and it's awe-inspiring. I find the whole world so interesting and it's amazing to consider how humans would cope in a world where there's nothing left to be improved- a world where humans have no purpose! Neal Shusterman is a genius at world building and everyone should pick up these books.
Scythe Book Review

Rifthold- A book that combines genres
Codename Villanelle- Luke Jennings
This could be a total cop-out because I've never even read this book but am basing this answer on the TV series Killing Eve, which is adapted from the book. Killing Eve is one of my favourite shows from this year and I always struggle to pinpoint it into a specific genre because there's so much going on! I would essentially say it's a thriller-mystery-comedy-drama-romance show and it incorporates everything you ever need in a show. So, for this question, I'm assuming the book is in a similar situation.
Killing Eve Season 1 Review

Damaris- A book based on/inspired by a myth/legend
Abandon trilogy- Meg Cabot
My favourite ispried stories to read are anything centred on Greek myths. This series is a take on the Hades/Persephone myth and I've read these book so many times I've lost count. The series follows a girl called Pierce who's near-death experience catches the attention of the ruler of the Underworld, John (because of course that's the kind of name for the guy that rules over the dead). They begin to fall for each other and, while it may not be the best trilogy in the world (I read this when I was very young), it's still entertaining.

Kaltain Rompier- A book with an unexpected twist
Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
The best plot twists are always done in thrillers. And Gillian Flynn books.
I actually watched the movie before reading this book but the impact was still the same- I was shocked senseless. Gone Girl is such a clever, corrupt and conniving story that I couldn't put down. Everything you think you know is flipped on its head half way through and it's the most gripping thriller I've ever read.
Gone Girl Book Review

Assassin's Keep- A book with an unreliable narrator
Vicious- V.E Schwab
From the very premise, you can tell this book would have its fair share of unreliable narrators. Both of the main characters, Victor and Eli, are villains and it creates such an interesting question of who's in the right and who's in the wrong. They both do some good things, they both do some terrible things and it poses a huge question of who's the villain and who's the hero of this story- the answer depending on the person and perspective. But, while the narrator may be a little unreliable, this book is so unique and gritty and I love it.
Vicious Book Review

Asterin Blackbeak- A book that's got Squad Goals
A Court of Mist and Fury- Sarah J. Maas
I really tried to get through a tag without mentioning a Sarah J. Maas book, I swear. But there's just no other answer for this question.
The Inner Circle is the best group of characters to ever exist and I wish every day that I was part of their squad. They have such trust and comfort and love between them that it physically makes my heart ache.
A Court of Mist and Fury Book Review

Terrasen- A book that feel like home
Soulmates- Holly Bourne
There were a few books that I could've chosen for this this and the thing they all had in common were that they came from my childhood. I first read Soulmates years and years ago and, when you've grown up with a book, they tend to feel a lot like home. Re-reading this book fills me with nostalgia and old memories that is priceless.

Aelin Ashryver Galathynius- A book with the power to destroy you
November 9- Colleen Hoover
I'm pretty sure this book is still destroying me to this day. While it doesn't particularly have a bad ending that devastated me, I went through a lot of emotional trauma when reading it. This book doesn't just play with your heart-strings but pulls them out completely and used them to strangle you until you can't breathe. Or something to that effect...
I absolutely love this book and can re-read it over and over again but, in that first read, I was an ugly mess of uncontrollable sobbing.
November 9 Book Review

Manon Blackbeak- A book that intimidated you
Lady Midnight- Cassandra Clare
I think this is a safe assumption of all Cassandra Clare books. The whole Shadowhunter world in general is debilitatingly intimidating because the series is so long and the books are so freaking large. But, especially with the newer books, I would say they're worth it. And yet, with every single Cassandra Clare book, it takes me ages to initially pick it up because, while I know I'll likely love it, I'm way too intimidated to pick up those door stops of books.
Lady Midnight Book Review

Rowan Whitethorn- A book that makes you swoon
Deity- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
Generally, every single JLA book I've ever read has made me swoon but Deity in particular stands out to me because it's when a certain ship officially got together and it was so damn satisfying!! JLA has a gift when it comes to writing swoon-worthy men and romances that make you melt completely. While Deity is actually an urban fantasy novel and not romance, it's still ridiculously swoon-worthy.

Chaol Westfall- A book that challenged you to see things differently
Am I Normal Yet?- Holly Bourne
This was a really powerful book for me because it follows a protagonist that has OCD. I'd never read a character with this condition before and it really opens your eyes to the reality of this situation in a way that's hard-hitting and humorous at the same time. This book hugely influenced my outlook on things and it's not a book that's easy to forget.

Fleetfoot- A book that you received as a gift
Falling Kingdoms- Morgan Rhodes
I received Falling Kingdoms for Christmas last year (thanks, Nan and Grandad), and I immediately started to read it because it was one of my most wanted books. And, when I started reading it, I instantly went to Amazon and ordered the rest of this series because Falling Kingdoms isn't a book that you can just stop reading.
Falling Kingdoms Book Review

Eye of Elena- A book you found right when you needed it
the princess saves herself in this one- Amanda Lovelace 
The most helpful books in my life are poetry books. I love how different authors put complex ideas and emotions into words that are just too beautiful to comprehend. I read this Amanda Lovelace anthology earlier this year and fell in love with the writing style and emotion in each and every poem. I just find these types of poems so comforting and soothing because it shows that you're not alone and allows everyone to put their own experiences into the context of the poem in order to fuel them. This year has been extremely up and down for me and any poetry book like this one is beyond helpful in grounding me once more.

As always, I tag anyone who wants to do this tag! Share the Sarah J. Maas love!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment