Tuesday 6 November 2018

Crown of Midnight- Sarah J. Maas BOOK TALK

* * * *
This used to be one of my favourites of the series and, while I still enjoyed it, I can't say that it still holds the top position. When first reading this book, it was easy to fall into how amazing it is because we hadn't yet met the awesome characters that appear in Heir of Fire onwards- we didn't know what we were missing. But now that I know Rowan and Aedion and Lysandra and Manon are just around the corner, Crown of Midnight felt a little lacklustre to me. Sorry, but the original trio just don't cut it anymore.
Nevertheless, I did still enjoy this book (because of a certain ship...) but the second half did seem to drag. This series has such complex story lines all interlinked so beautifully and, knowing the epic adventures and excitement to come, I couldn't skip through this book quick enough.




SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
I like to think of this as the Chaolaena book and that may be the only huge factor as to why I actually enjoy this book. I've always been a Chaolaena shipper and I love reading the growth of their relationship in this book. They've had such a journey from hating each other, becoming reluctant allies, close friends and eventually lovers. The whole thing just feels so rewarding and it's lovely to read.

And then we have the inevitable downfall. It wasn't as soul-crushing to read the second time around but I think that's mainly because I knew what was coming and so shielded my heart from such pain.
I didn't remember too much about the events of this book and how everything went down but I was surprised by how quick everything was! I thought Nehemia's death and Celaena turning on Chaol was at the very end so, when it happened just half way through the book, I had no idea what had yet to happen.

That's probably why the second half felt so slow for me. Not as much happened and it was much less action-packed and gripping. As for how things went down between Chaol and Celaena, I still have a lot of opinions on it and a surprising frustration that I don't think I felt before (the first time I read this, I was obviously too busy crying to feel any anger).
In my Throne of Glass review, I mentioned how I actually really liked Nehemia and how I couldn't quite understand why I'd never cared for her before. This books reminded me why I've never cared for her and all the feelings came flooding back.
Initiate Rant Mode
There was a specific conversation that Nehemia had with Dorian that began my dislike of her. As her and Dorian are watching Chaol and Celaena dance, Nehemia goes on about how they'll never understand the responsibilities put on her and Dorian. And it frustrates the heck out of me when people think their problems are superior and belittle what other people are going through! Nehemia has no idea what Celaena has truly been through or what responsibilities rest on her shoulders. She has no idea of the pressures Chaol has had to live through or the decisions he'll have to go on to make. And it frustrates me how she thinks she's the only one with problems and is constantly whining for Celaena to help!

And then there's her death.
Celaena blames Chaol so much for keeping things from her but Nehemia lies about everything and is just let off! I know she dies and everything but, I'm 100% sure that if she had lived, Celaena would've forgiven her just as easily. Chaol withholds information to protect Celaena and is constantly blamed and hated on for it. Nehemia lies to protect Celaena and is held up as a saint and martyr and all that's holy in the goddamn world. And I hate it.
Nehemia lies about being in the rebellion, knowing the secret tunnels exist and planning her entire murder, and Celaena doesn't blink an eye at the deceit. I understand that part of it may be to do with guilt on Celaena's part but I just hate how she treats Chaol. And because of this, a lot of the fandom tends to hate on Chaol when he's made mistakes just like everyone else!
Terminate Rant Mode

Now from that point onwards, I couldn't remember a thing of what happened in the second half of the book and, frankly, I'm even starting to forget now even though I finished it a few days ago. But the general gist is that we learn a lot more about the Wyrdkeys and the Gates and how they may be able to send a mass number of Valg into Erilea if the King were to get hold of all three Wyrdkeys. It pretty much sets up the main focus on what's to come in the rest of the series.
Chaol sacrifices his position as Captain of the Guard- a job that means so much to him!- in order to get Celaena safely sent off to Wendlyn- because he's a great guy!!! Celaena leaves the hint of who she truly is and he quickly figures out that she's actually Aelin Ashryver Galathynius and I'm so excited! I'd forgotten we found out her true heritage so quickly but I am 100% on board.
I'm so glad the chapters of Celaena being Celaena are over because I just want her to be Aelin already and find her brilliant court.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment