Thursday 28 March 2019

March Wrap Up 2019

I read a lot more than I originally thought I would because, at the beginning of the month, A Conjuring of Light was taking me forever! But, after that monster of a book was finished, I stormed through a nice number of other reads. I'm also super pleasured with how many new books I've read so far this year- I really wanted to get out of the habit of just re-reading everything.

BOOKS
A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3)- V. E. Schwab 
* * * * *
It took me a lot longer than I wanted to finish this book but it totally wasn't the book's fault. I was super busy at the beginning of this month (still am busy, if I'm being honest) and I barely got any time to read which was so frustrating because this book was spectacular! The final book in the Shades of Magic trilogy was everything I needed from this series and action-packed from beginning to end. The characters were amazing as always, drawing me in more than anything else, and the world is awe-inspiring. I've truly become a V. E. Schwab junkie and I'm not even sorry.
A Darker Shade of Magic Review
A Gathering of Shadows Review
A Conjuring of Light Review to come!!

Stage Kiss- M. F. Lorson
* *
This was an arc I was sent by Netgalley and... I really wanted to love it. But I just didn't. Firstly, I didn't particularly like the protagonist which is instantly a turn-off. I found her to be pretty superficial and bitchy and spoilt which didn't make it fun to read in her perspective. Then there was the love interest who was just a bundle of contradictions. It's like the author was so desperate for readers to love him that they refused to give him any flaws, creating a personality that wouldn't make sense in real life. He was geeky, but still hot and popular. Introverted and shy but extroverted and confident. His personality completed changed in different situations and it was hard to like him at all. I've read books with similar concepts to this one and they are so much better (Operation Prom Date by Cindi Madsen is essentially the same kind of plot but it's so much better- it's adorable, fun and endearing!). Overall, I was pretty disappointed.


Shut Out- Kody Keplinger (Re-read)
* * * * *
As I was still in the mood for a fun contemporary but disappointed by my previous read, I went straight to a book I knew I'd loved. I adore this series and I absolutely flew through this re-read! I sat down in the evening to start the book and the next time I got up, I'd finished!
Now, this is a rom-com book done right. The characters are likeable, romance believable and it even brings up lots of awesome feminist points about double standards and how women are treated in society. All of this, makes it right up my street and I'm in no way surprised I devoured it in one sitting.




This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity #1)- V. E. Schwab
* * * * *
Still gunning through my V. E. Schwab marathon, I went straight into the Monsters of Verity series and, unsurprisingly, loved it. Victoria Schwab has such an amazing way with words and, pair that with fascinating worlds and compelling characters, it's difficult not to love any of her books. This Savage Song is a fantasy novel about monsters and crime breeding crime but it also has lovable and complex characters which keeps the pages turning.
This Savage Song Book Review


G'morning, G'night- Lin Manuel Miranda
* * * *
I started this back in December last year and I've finally finished! This books basically consists of a selection of Lin Manuel Miranda's motivational morning and evening tweets so I've been reading them like that- one every morning and one every evening. If you don't know who Lin Manuel Miranda is (which is a crime, by the way) he's the creator of the musical Hamilton and has also been in a bunch of movies and TV shows. He also happens to be the most positive and selfless and amazing human being in the world.



Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity #2)- V. E. Schwab
* * * *
While it didn't quite hit five stars like book 1, I still loved this sequel and conclusion to the Monsters of Verity series. The characters were as lovable and fascinating as always and I thought the direction of the plot for this book was super interesting. I will say, however, that my heart was torn out by this duology's ending... I was not expecting it and it's clear that V. E. Schwab has no regard for my emotions or mental state.
Review to come!!




TV and MOVIES
Grease (Live)
*
At the beginning of this month, me and my mum went to see Grease performed at a local theatre and... I still don't really know what to make of it. It wasn't the usual quality we see, let's put it that way.
The performers were mediocre at best (except for Rizzo who was stunning!) and they didn't even stick to the plot! For a main character, Sandy was probably only in about three scenes or so (which wasn't actually a bad thing because she couldn't act anyway). Yes, I feel bad for being so judgemental because it was an amateur performance but... it just wasn't Grease! They performed the finale song We Go Together at the end of act 1, didn't have a car chase, didn't focus on any kind of relationship between Danny and Sandy and was mainly padded out with a lot (a lot) of filler songs that weren't even in the original movie. Suffice it to say, I probably wouldn't go to see it again.

Grease (Re-watch)
* * * *
The very next day, I had a bit of free time and decided to watch the original movie Grease because... I just had to remind myself of the actual plot.

High School Musical (Re-watch)
* * * *
I was round my friend's house for movies and pizza (because that's my idea of heaven) and we went back to a classic! This was my obsession as a kid and I hadn't seen it in years before this re-watch. And, unsurprisingly, it was so much fun! It's kind of dated but it's hilarious to listen to the dialogue and actually pick apart the plot as an adult. Despite it's many flaws, it's nostalgic and a true feel good film.

Labyrinth (Re-watch)
* * * *
After High School Musical (cause you don't just stop at one film on movie night), we went to an all-time classic! Again, it's been a while since I last watched this but, unlike HSM, this movie dates so well. You can't go wrong with a bit of David Bowie (though, with those trousers, maybe there's a bit too much Bowie) and a fun plot.

Captain Marvel 
* * * * *
Me and my brother went to see this on opening weekend because how could we not?! While I was apprehensive about this movie, it was fantastic! It's such an achievement to finally have a female-led Marvel movie and I was feeling all the feminism feels! Strong, confident heroine? Check. Non-sexualised outfit? Check. Meaningful friendships and plot that doesn't revolve around a male love interest? Check!
Honestly, this movie was everything I hoped it would be and now I'm even more excited for Endgame (if that's even possible) because I can't wait to see Carol's role in it.
Captain Marvel Movie Review

Captain Marvel (Re-watch)
* * * * *
I know what you're thinking. And I'm guilty as charged.
I don't care if I have an unnatural obsession over this movie. I don't care if I have an unnatural obsession for the character. Because. They. Are. Everything.
This time, I went to see it with my best friend and it was just as amazing the second time! The jokes still held up, the action scenes still polished and me, still utterly impressed.
Captain Marvel Movie Review

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

4 comments:

  1. High School Musical is so much fun to watch. I remember really loving it when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my obsession when I was younger... to an embarrassing extent XD

      Delete
  2. AHHHHH LABYRINTH! I love Bowie, but I never enjoyed the movie as much as the first time I watched it-something about Jennifer Connelly's acting and the terrifying Fireys. The music was my favorite thing about the movie.
    Vivien @ Pages of Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The music's awesome! I will admit, Jennifer Connelly's acting can be a bit on-the-nose at times but I find it quite entertaining in a dated sort of way :)

      Delete