Tuesday 5 March 2019

A Darker Shade of Magic- V. E. Schwab BOOK TALK

* * * * *
This book was everything I wanted and more.
When I was younger, my favourite stories were quick and fun reads, fun characters and little bit of a romance but now that I'm older (a whopping 18 years old... basically ancient, I know) I've really grown to appreciate much more complex books. I love intricate worlds- even if that involves a little extra heavy world-building, I love complex characters and I love slow-burning relationships because they're just so much more rewarding in the end. And A Darker Shade of Magic is the perfect example of these types of books.
The world was fascinating to learn and even though we deal with multiple parallel universes, it never gets confusing. The transitions between the worlds are seamless and the different cultures and so interesting to dissect.
Then, there's the characters. This book has two main characters who are maybe some of favourites ever and the rest of the cast is just as amazing. Seeing all them interact and cross paths was so exciting and I can't recommend this book enough.
V. E. Schwab is a fantasy genius.

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
The first thing I really want to mention and take the time to appreciate is the world building! This was such a intricate and detailed world and everything fit together seamlessly! I loved learning about the complexities of the magic system and I am in awe of the entire world! Juggling with multiple parallel universes with their different cultures, magical limitations and languages must've been so hard to construct but it was fascinating and I loved everything about it.
We had out two main characters, the first of which was Kell (who I fell in love with about... instantly). Kell is so cool and logical and has a great moral compass. He's got such a strong will and it wasn't difficult to love him.
But, for me, my favourite character had to be Lila- she's so kick-ass! Her strength and courage and search for an adventure was awe-inspiring. She never hesitated to jump into danger and I love her character growth throughout the book- going from full on self-preservation, to risking her life to save Kell. (She also happens to be sassy as heck which is also a bonus).
I also happen to hardcore ship Kell and Lila (which is so so so surprising, I'm sure). Kellila (or whatever their ship name is) had the best banter throughout the book and grew such a nice bond!! They even kissed twice- the second one before the travel back to Red London being the cutest. Sure, it was just 'for luck' but leave me to pin all of my hopes on this ship, okay?
Oddly, I also liked Holland. And I don't even know why.
As we get to know the social hierarchies of the three Londons, we get to see how Holland is bound to Athos in White London which is basically the equivalent of servitude and torture. From learning that, I couldn't see Holland as a 'bad guy'. All I can think is that he's controlled and in a lot of pain and not in full control of his actions. It makes me wonder what he's really like under all the hardened emotion and, while I may be stupid and naive, I have hope for Holland.
The story truly starts when Kell comes into possession of the Black stone and... it's a real pain in the ass, that's for sure. Good ol' Lila pickpockets it from Kell immediately (at which point my heart was soaring) and Kell manages to track her down again. They make an agreement that Lila will journey with Kell through using the stone and it was all so cool!
Their first step is to retrieve more talismans to take them to each world because their previous bustle with Holland left them without any tokens to travel to White London with. They go to Fletcher's pawn shop to try and get the White Rook and this whole section of the book is where I truly admired Lila. She's been thrust into this completely different world and her confidence never dips! She keeps her head held high, her wits about her and has an unflinching ability to get any shiny dagger she sets her eyes on. If that's not an inspiring character, I don't know what is.
Meanwhile, the Black stone's corruption is spreading through Red London and it's scary how quickly it spreads! Soon, we have a ton of guards killing each other (R.I.P Parrish) and Kell is taken.
We find out that Astrid Dane is possessing Rhy and from this scene onwards, the book turned into a masterpiece of an end sequence. Astrid taunts poor Kell by controlling Rhy's body but, no need to fear, Lila is here! I kind of love how gung-ho Lila strode in only to immediately be wiped out by Astrid. I love Lila but the sheer speed of her being taken down after striding in so confidently was hilarious.
Astrid stabs Rhy before she frees his body of her possession and Kell uses the stone to bind Rhy's body to his. This whole thing scared the hell out of me because we know using the stone is beyond dangerous! Every time Kell vowed not to use the stone again, I kept thinking 'okay, we'll see how long that lasts.'
They take Rhy to the London sanctuary and we meet Tieren who was Kell's tutor back in the day. This part really interested me because Tieren immediately asks Lila about her glass eye and how she lost her original eye (which was big news to me! Why the hell we didn't learn that she had a fake eye sooner?!?). Lila says that she couldn't remember how she lost it because she was too young. Tieren also mentions that Lila has some sort of suppressed magic within her and.... the cogs were turning, my friends. My brain was churning through so many theories way too fast.
I've finally settled on a pretty confident theory that Lila is an Antari. Everything's just too much of a coincidence. Antaris were killed off or subdued when the doors between worlds closed. Antaris have one black eye. Lila is missing an eye. She was too young to remember the reason why. She has a kernel of undiscovered magic in her. She manages to travel between White London and Red London with Kell without the stone!!
She's an Antari! She has to be! I'm so excited!!
Lila and Kell go to White London and spectacularly bring down the Dane twins. I'm so happy Astrid and Athos are dead because they were awful people- I hated them down to my very bones. Because when Astrid pretended to be Lila and tried to trick Kell... I was freaking out. Thank God, Kell saw past her.
Kell also manages to defeat Holland and sends Holland's barely alive body to Black London along with the stone. I can't help but feel like that decision is going to bite us in the butt later on. There is no way Holland is dead for good and we have no idea what is left of Black London! For all we know, Holland could use the stone to bring himself back from the brink of death and rip open the doors between worlds again! All I know for sure; Holland is not dead. (Which I'm kind of happy about. Again, I have hope for redemption from his character).
Kellila return to Red London and I don't know why I was so surprised that Lila left Kell and the palace to find a ship and be a pirate. Sure, I hate that my ship is currently split apart but I can totally admire Lila for that decision. Being a pirate, owning a ship and going on an adventure is her dream. Lila isn't the type of character to give up her dream for a guy- and I admire her for that.
(Though, I will be counting down the day until they meet again).
This series has so much potential and I can't wait to jump into the next books. Now that the first book and majority of the world building and exposition is understood, I think the next books will jump straight into the action and I'm so pumped!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment