Saturday 16 March 2019

Captain Marvel MOVIE TALK

* * * * *
As always (for some bizarre reason), I had high hopes but low expectations for this movie and, thankfully, all of my expectations were blown out of the park- out of the galaxy! You can always count on Marvel to live up to the hype and surpass all expectation.
Captain Marvel is the first solo female movie made by Marvel and I love how they handled it! It passed the Bechdel test with flying colours and girl power flooded the entire movie. The women were fierce, strong and (*gasp*) not revolving around a male love interest!!!!
While the women were the main course, we had lots of side dishes of male characters which was also amazing. I've never been a huge huge fan of Nick Fury but this movie changed everything! I absolutely loved seeing him in the early days of S.H.I.E.L.D and seeing young Agent Coulson was even better!
If it isn't already obvious, I loved every single thing about this movie and, if it isn't already obvious, you need to watch this before Endgame! Sure, Endgame would probably still pretty good without the background of this movie but it would help so much knowing the background of Carol. (Also, there's a pretty epic post credit scene...)

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
First and foremost, I need to mention the spectacular tribute to Stan Lee. The beginning Marvel credits started and they'd replaced all the usual superhero footage with images and recordings of Stan Lee and... I'm not gonna lie, I teared up. 
And then there was his cameo. It was pretty easy to guess that it was coming up but I loved how Carol and him locked gazes and shared a smile. I don't know whether it may have been during re-shoots after he'd died but the smile that Carol shot him almost felt like a thank you and an acknowledgement which was just beautiful.
Onto the actual movie, I loved Carol. I was worried I wouldn't like her but she's so cool! She has a subtle humour and sarcasm about her which I loved and she was as inspirational as a hero should be.
I also loved how she shot down all sexism! There's been so much controversy over this movie (mostly with negative opinions from sexist imbeciles) and there's always been this comment floating around that Carol doesn't smile enough (which is just bizarre when you consider the other superheroes and the situation Carol's in). But there was this one scene in the movie where a guy on a motorbike was catcalling Carol and then kept asking her to smile for him and... she just shut him down and then stole his bike! This is just one of the reasons why I love Carol and this movie is awesome!
It was also super fun to see young Nick Fury and Coulson! I was so shocked when the first Coulson ended up being a Skrull but it was kinda funny when the real Coulson was just stranded at Blockbuster wondering where everyone had vanished. My only small criticism would be that we didn't see enough of young Coulson.
I've never been a huge fan of Fury but this movie changed everything!!! He was so much funnier and cooler than he is in the other movies and I loved his budding friendship with Carol. Sure, he's 'friends' with the other Avengers in present time but we never see him as close with anyone else as Carol. I loved all of their banter and jokes and it was the start of a beautiful friendship. Now all I want is for them to reunite in Endgame!
We finally found out how Fury lost his eye and... I think pretty much most people guessed what would happen. I liked that Goose was actually this cool extra-terrestrial Flerken but I think it actually would've been a lot funnier if Goose was just an ordinary cat and, for some reason, labelled as this super dangerous creature... when in reality she's just a cat.
Another relationship I loved was Carol, her best friend, Maria and Maria's kid. It was such a lovely and empowering relationship because they're both such strong and independent women and they support each other and lift each other up rather than pull each other down. 
The main conflict of this revolves around the Skrull and Kree war which really made me want to re-watch Guardians of the Galaxy and figure everything out in my head. I really liked how they turned the war on it's head. As Carol receives her memories back, we realise that the Kree were actually the evil ones (which pleased me because I was getting super confused as to how Ronan played into the good side) and the Skrull's are actually innocent and simply seeking a safe home for their families. I grew to love the Skrulls- especially Talos who was super funny but also pulled at the heart-strings when he was reunited with his family.
We learnt that the Kree scientist Lawson herself had realised the truth behind this war and had been creating technology that would help the Skrull's find a new home and be safe. The movie becomes this race to find the core and, after learning how the blast gave Carol her powers, we also find out that the core is the Tesseract!!! Hello, old friend!
It's so interesting to slot all these events into the MCU. So, the Tesseract was lost in the sea when Cap crashed the plane with it. From here, Dr. Lawson obviously found it, the whole events of Captain Marvel happened, Goose swallowed it (and then promptly regurgitated it which was an end credits scene I totally guessed!), and that's how Nick Fury and SHIELD have possession over it when Avenger Assemble comes around and Loki steals it!! I love how it all so beautifully ties up!!!!
We have awesome fight scenes at the end with Carol breaking through the AI and fighting Jude Law (I can't remember the character's name) and the rest of her old team. I was so impressed with Carol's fight scenes- through all of the movie! They were so quick and cool and visually stunning and it's always satisfying to see a woman kick-ass so spectacularly. It was also made ten times more awesome when 90s music played in the background of some of the fight scenes- it gave me Guardians of the Galaxy vibes in the best way possible.
I also loved when Carol finally squared off with Jude Law for the last time. He obviously knows he can't beat her so tries to goad her into a fist fight and controlling her emotions and she just... doesn't. And I loved that!! Because it just shows that women don't have to prove themselves to men when they know they're own value and don't owe any explanation to men!
The final scenes were super nice- seeing everyone chill together and Carol giving Fury the pager (which had me fangirling like heck!!!) We also see Fury creating the 'Protector Initiative' and then changing it to the 'Avenger Initiative' when he sees that Carol's pilot name was 'Captain Carol "Avenger" Danvers.' I thought that was such a cool detail and I love that Carol was the inspiration for the Avengers!
Now, the post-credit scene....
I still can't quite process that the post-credit scene was essentially a scene from Endgame. We got to see Cap and Natasha and Bruce and Rhodey and... I think I was just grinning and holding my breath through this entire scene! They'd managed to get the pager from Fury and were waiting for the other person to get back in contact and... our bad-ass Carol Danvers shows up!!! This has me so damn excited for Engame (as if I needed any more reasons to be excited). I can't wait to see Carol interact with the other Avengers and I need that Fury/Carol reunion stat!!!

Overall, this was simply an amazing film. Yes, there's lots of criticism because, let's face it, there are many many super sexist people out there, but I thought this was such a great step for female superheroes and Carol Danvers is one of my new favourite Avengers.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

11 comments:

  1. Maybe this is a bad time to mention that my favourite Marvel character is Rogue? Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen the X-Men movies!!! Damn, I need to catch up XD

      Delete
    2. Oh no, I definitely don't like Rogue from the movies, haha. I just mean that in the comic books she steals Carol's powers and many of her memories! She has remorse, and it was during a time when she was corrupted and working for a dark team of mutants...but still.

      Delete
    3. Oh XD I've never read any of the Marvel comics but I definitely should! I'm all for super bad-ass women!

      Delete
  2. I've never watched a Marvel movie I didn't like and watch more than once lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already seen Captain Marvel in cinemas twice... no regrets!

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm glad to hear it was good. I'm not so big on superheroes like I used to be. I haven't seen any of the recent marvel movies. Not since Spiderman home coming or Black Panther I think. Whichever came first.

    Ash @ JennRenee Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you haven't seen Infinity War?!?!?! *gasp* You stopped when the best movies started coming out!! XD I'd totally recommend them- each movie gets better and better
      xx

      Delete
  4. I loved this movie! And this was my favorite Nick Fury outing too, he's always been kinda meh to me before but in this one I thought he was funny! Plus anyone who can be friends with Goose is okay in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about Fury- it was nice to see a younger and maybe less serious version of his character :)

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favorite movies, I'm glad I found someone else who enjoys it too. :) And I agree it was awesome that she stole that bike from the guy who catcalled her. Also, I am so happy that she didn't have a love interest in it. There are way too many movies with woman being love interests or having to have romance. Also Goose was awesome! I love Fury's reaction to him, which was "he's a normal cat" but the Skrulls were terrified.

    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete