Saturday 29 September 2018

September Wrap Up 2018

This month was super busy but that was to be expected, I guess. I started the new college year and my timetable is not exactly favourable so I find myself with a lot less time to read, watch movies, blog and do my personally book writing so... I feel like I'll be a little lax lately with everything going on. But still, I didn't do too badly this month and hopefully I can keep the momentum going before college work drowns me in my sleep.

Books
Opposition (the Lux series #5)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (Re-read)
* * * * *
I had to finish the final book of the Lux series because I was desperate to jump into the first book of the new spin off series, The Darkest Star, so I raced through this book with much excitement.

The Darkest Star (the Origin series #1)- Jennifer L. Armentrout (ARC)
* * * * *
This book was everything I wanted and more. It literally made my year just to get an ARC of it and I was giggling and giddy through the whole thing. The Origin series is a spin off of the Lux series and these are some of my favourite books of all time. JLA writes amazing characters, action-packed plots and effortless humour. It's all too easy to love her books.
The Darkest Star Non-spoiler Review

Sharp Objects- Gillian Flynn (Book of the Month)
* * * *
This was mine and Kaitlin's Book of the Month for September and I was mostly inclined to read it because I watched and loved the TV adaptation. It's such a sinister and intriguing story and the twists have you gasping out loud. Gillian Flynn has such a subtle and compelling writing style that I absolutely adore and maybe next time I should try and read the book before jumping into the adaptations.
Sharp Objects Book Talk
Sharp Objects TV Talk

Shatter Me  |  Unravel Me  |  Ignite Me  (Re-read)
Tahereh Mafi
* * * * *
For some reason, I had a sudden urge to re-read this trilogy, mainly because I've had the fourth book in my possession for a while and still hadn't read it. I'm a complete sucker for this series. I love the action, I love the writing style, I love the romance and, mainly, I love the effortless and beautiful character development. Re-reading this series was like snuggling into bed and being surrounded with comfort and happiness.
Shatter Me Book Talk
Unravel Me Book Talk
Ignite Me Book Talk

Restore me (Shatter Me #4)- Tahereh Mafi 
* * * *
Then I immediately went into the fourth book of this series and... I have conflicted feelings. Half of me loves this book because it's intricate and realistic and oddly empowering in a really twisted way but the other half of me says that it spoils all the character development in the original trilogy and that it wasn't actually necessary. I will continue this series because I'll admit that there's a killer cliff-hanger at the end but, honestly, this spin-off series didn't need to exist.

My Soul to Take  |  My Soul to Save  |  My Soul to Keep  |  My Soul to Steal  (Re-read)
Rachel Vincent
* * * *
Because I've been a little stressed and down about all this new college work and whatnot, I did what I always do; fall into one of my favourite series so I can relish in the wave of nostalgia that comes along with it. I didn't read Harry Potter when I was younger but this series is my Harry Potter. I'll pick them up at least once a year and coming back to them is like returning home. The characters mean so much to me and the memories and feelings I have attached to these books is everything I ever need.



TV and Movies

Pitch Perfect 2 (Re-watch)
* * * *
I rewatched the first movie last month and I decided to continue because I've always preferred the sequel anyway. As always, it was an easy and fun way to pass the time.

Mulan
* * *
I can't believe I'd never watched Mulan before but it was awesome! I mainly watched Mulan as it's one of my case studies for my Extended Project I'm doing at college about female representation in Disney movies and whether or not feminism has influenced them. But Mulan was a great movie and I enjoyed it a lot.

Teen Wolf Season 4 (Re-watch)
* * *
To me, season four of Teen Wolf is a little bit of a filler season. It's shorter, not as entertaining and, honestly, had so much potential. There are two super awesome villains in this season and yet they didn't do either of them justice.

Awkward Season 5 (Re-watch)
* * * * *
I finally finished the final series of Awkward!! It took a while but I finally got through it and it was just as good as the first time. The final season has to be one of my favourites and this show is such a guilty pleasure of mine! It's funny, over-the-top, and very very relatable.

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (Re-watch)
* * *
I don't even know what compelled me to re-watch this movie but I just wanted a cheesy, nostalgic but albeit crappy movie to keep my mind off things. The trick with this movie is to not take things too seriously. There are so many cringey and weird moments but it's so much more fun to just laugh it off and accept that it's a pretty terrible adaptation.

Heathers (1988) 
* * * *
This was probably my favourite watch of the whole month. As you may or may not know, I've become obsessed with the musical and I desperately needed to watch the original source material- especially as I'm going to see the musical at the West End next month!!
This movie is absolutely brilliant and is a great black comedy that I can't help but fall in love with. The characters are flawed and funny and psychotic and that's all you really need in a good character.
Heathers Movie Talk

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

4 comments:

  1. What a great month you had!
    I'm glad to have found another blogger who is in love with the Shatter Me series. I liked the books as well, but have seen a lot of negatife reviews by others.
    I have read the first 2 or 3 books I think, it's been a while... I mainly bought the series for the gorgeous covers, but I hope to re-read the series soooon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend re-reading the Shatter Me series. The fourth book is... interesting. xx

      Delete
  2. You hadn't watched Mulan?!? It's one of my absolute favourites! And I have this serious love-hate relationship with the TMI movie. I think what they did well was spot on, but there were so many terrible choices that I wonder who actually approved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed at myself for not watching Mulan sooner! Better late than never, I suppose XD

      Delete