Tuesday 18 September 2018

Sharp Objects- Gillian Flynn BOOK TALK

* * * *
I loved this book but I'm happy that I watched the TV show first. I preferred the TV show (which is practically sacrilegious, so I apologise) but I just think the story and the tension is so much better reflected on screen. But now I can say that the TV show was such a faithful adaptation! The entire plot was exactly the same and the majority of the scenes were perfectly translated word for word onto screen which was brilliant. 
This review may feel a little more like a comparison between the show and the book but it's something that I can't really avoid talking about having read the book after watching the show. But regardless, this is an epic story and I would definitely recommend it.
I will say there's a massive trigger warning with this book because it does involve many different topics that readers might find distressing eg. self-harm, graphic violence and suicide.
Sharp Objects TV TALK



SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
Starting with characters, I struggle to say that I like Camille but I think that's kind of the point. She's definitely an unreliable narrator but it's so easy to both sympathise with her and feel disappointed with her. What really puts me off her character is how much she drinks and takes drugs but I honestly think that's an issue the whole of Wind Gap has. Camille is extremely strong and goes through a lot which is brilliantly reflected in how flawed she is.
Unsurprisingly, I hated Adora with every fibre of my being. I think I hated her more in the show but she's still a horrid character. Honestly, she's the worst parent character I've ever read about- especially when she told Camille why she doesn't love her!! I was livid when hearing that is the show and to know it came straight from the book... it's awful.
But I also find her condition super interesting as I'd never heard of it before- Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome. It's such an intriguing condition and the perfect kind of thing to be included in a thriller novel. I love how Gillian Flynn describes Adora's grief for Marian as a 'hobby' because that so nicely sums up her condition and how she looks at taking care of her sick children.
And finally, in our screwed up trio of women, we have Amma. Despite being a murderer, I actually loved Amma in the show because she was so smart and devious and cunning but in the book... she was just a little spoilt and whiny. I prefer that she's a little older in the show and I just preferred her character.
But, regardless, Amma is super interesting and intelligent. She presents herself so differently depending on who she's with and it's so smooth and calculated. I really love how she teasingly asks Adora "now that she's back, will you love Camille more than me?". She says it in such a jokey manner but it so perfectly summarises how she yearns for Adora's attention.
What I was a little disappointed with in the book was Amma and Camille's relationship. They weren't really that close in the book which spoils the end a bit, I think. In the show, they really grew close and cared for each other. When they went to live together after Adora's arrest things really seemed to be going well and they were healing together. So, when the twist that Amma's the killer is revealed, it's so much more tragic because they'd been happy together.
I generally like the ending, though there are a few niggling questions that I'd love to find out. Like, did Camille snitch on Amma? Does Amma end up in jail?
I also like how Richard and Camille didn't end up together. There's a cliche in a lot of fiction where love prevails and conquers all but the fact that Richard and Camille just never saw each other again was bittersweet and realistic.
Overall, I loved Gillian Flynn's writing style and the story was as captivating and tragic as always.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment