Tuesday 28 February 2017

February Wrap Up 2017

Despite February being the shortest month of the year, I managed to do pretty well. Probably because I was alone on Valentines- I had plenty of time by myself to read ;)



The Darkest Minds- Alexandra Bracken
****
I finished this book at the beginning of the month and loved it. It was my favourite of the trilogy and it was such a refreshing and enjoyable read. Once you get 100 pages through, you're flying. It's a dystopian-esque/post-apocalyptic novel full of supernatural powers and awesome road trips. Would recommend giving it as try.
Book Talk link





Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)- Alexandra Bracken
***
Never Fade was my least favourite of the trilogy but it still wasn't too bad. It had a bit of an iffy plotline- one that I certainly didn't like too much- and it lost it's direction a bit during the span of this book. Having said that, it did eventually pick itself up in time for the ending and, if anything, this book just felt like a long build up for the final book.
Book Talk link



In The Afterlight (The Darkest Minds #3)- Alexandra Bracken
*** (3.5 stars)
It took me a while to pick up this book but, once I did, I more or less flew through. It picked up a lot and I liked how everything finished up at the end of this trilogy. A few action sequences were side-stepped but, other than that, it was well-written and really picked the story back up.
Book Talk link






Flawed- Cecelia Ahern (Re-read)
*****
I wanted to re-read this before moving onto Perfect so that I was familiar with all the finer details of the plot. Despite me only skim-reading this book (all I wanted to do was get to the sequel), I loved it just as much and would recommend this book to anyone. It was one of my favourite books last year and for a more in depth synopsis, check out the non-spoiler section of my Book Talk to see if it's something you'd be interested in.




Perfect (Flawed #2)- Cecelia Ahern (ARC)
*****
This book comes out in April and, boy, am I so happy that I didn't have to wait for this to be released. It was one of my most anticipated reads of 2017 (excluding ACOWAR, of course) and I was itching to get to it. Luckily, I received an ARC of it and... it was stunning. It was such a good sequel- it had action, romance and the politics of the world were executed perfectly. This is such a lovely paced series and I would urge anyone to read it.
I have written a Book Talk for this book but can't publish it until the book's released in April- stay tuned!


Cruel Beauty- Rosamund Hodge
*** (3.5 stars)
This is often described as a Beuty and the Beast retelling but, I think it's way more than that; it's Beauty and the Beast meets Greek Mythology meets Rumpelstiltskin. Aka. such a good story!
I liked the beginning and middle most but the end did sort of swerve off the rails a bit. It got a tad confusing towards the end and I'm only half sure I know what really happened at the end, really. Still, it was good, if not a bit mythology heavy at certain points.
A Book Talk will be up soon!



Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy- Cassandra Clare and co. (Book of the Month)
Though I haven't technically finished it, I'm adding it onto this Wrap Up as it was the Book of the Month for February and... I don't have much left (that's a lie, I have over half). A Book Talk will be up quickly after I finish it.
Simon, to be brutally honest, isn't my favourite character so it took me a while to pick this one up. It also had my biggest pet peeve (character's memory loss) because we have to re-learn everything in the world along with this character. It also created a lot of tension that just... wasn't fun to read.
We see a lot of known characters (Will!!!) and that was the best part in my opinion.


Thanks for reading! What did you read this month? Feel free to comment below. Stay amazing!
Chloe

1 comment:

  1. Beauty and the Beast and Rumplestiltskin........Once Upon A Time right there

    ReplyDelete