Thursday 12 January 2017

Writing Diary #5 - The Painful Process of Editing and New Project!


Previous Writing Diaries will be linked beneath this post in case you missed one!

Okay. So.
It's been a while since I've done something like this because, honestly, I haven't done much writing.
I haven't been through any of the first draft since finishing it in August- not wanting to read through a crappy first draft and wanting to distance myself from it. I've spent a lot of time recently focusing on my blog and haven't found the time to physically sit down and simply read the first draft.
But a few days ago, after a breakthrough, I finally to started to read it- three months after I'd said I would. I'm writing notes as I read but am not changing anything just yet. I've decided to just power through and immerse myself in the story once more to see where I need to change things.

I've also been working on very extensive character profiles. I'm going to sketch out every single character arch and write down every major and minor detail about them. Hopefully this will help me a lot when altering things in the story.
I'm pretty worried about the editing part. I wouldn't even know where to start. I've been looking on the internet for editing tips so I'll just have to try and see how it goes.
I did originally start on another project but that's completely gone out the window for now. I may go back to it in the future but right now I'm really struggling to string together a full story concept. I've written a few chapters that I really love but now just isn't the time to jump into such a high fantasy story.

I'm actually now toying with another idea at the moment that I'm super excited about. No spoilers but the story follows an array of characters and it's a historical fiction novel which is something that I'd never thought I'd write. I'm currently doing a lot of research on the topic and the ideas in my head are spiralling out of control so I'm jumping at any opportunity I can to plan and write this story. I'm going to extensively plan first and then write each character's perspective story separately before intertwining them all together.
That's all I'm going to give away for now.

I hope I can keep working through this insanely busy and scary year.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment any of your thoughts! Stay amazing!
Chloe
 

1 comment:

  1. You got further than me. I swear I will never reach the end of the first draft of mine! I am definitely going to have to cut down a huge chunk

    ReplyDelete