Saturday 31 December 2016

Top 10 Books of 2016!!!!

2016 has been such an amazing reading year and there's been loads of stunning books released. I'm going to list out my top 10 reads of the year. They may not necessarily have been released this year- it's simply the favourite books that I've, personally, read this year. My Book Talks for each of the books mentioned will be linked on the book title if you want to check them out!
In no particular order...

A Court of Mist and Fury- Sarah J. Maas 
Well, this one is in order. ACOMAF was by far my favourite read of this year and has assumed the position of my favourite book. ACOMAF is the second book in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. While I liked the first book, I loved the second book and I am constantly- constantly- thinking about it and desperately waiting for the sequel, A Court of Wings and Ruin, to come out next year!





The Lunar Chronicles- Marissa Meyer
I'm fully aware that this is cheating but... they count as one book, okay? My favourite would be Winter, then Cress, then Cinder and finally Scarlet. So we'll count Winter as the favourite book. This is a series of fairy tale retellings with a sci-fi twist and this series is genius! These books are truly gold and absolutely blew me away. Don't be intimidated by the size (820 pages, Winter!) as it's so easy and quick to read- the pages turn themselves. Book Talks will be up soon, I promise!





Flawed- Cecelia Ahern
Flawed was simply beautiful. Flawed is about a society where perfection is paramount and mistakes are punished. If you make a moral or ethical mistake, you are branded Flawed and segregated from the rest of society- forced to follow curfew, basic diets, no luxuries, limited employment etc.
Celestine has no idea how she can be branded as Flawed- to her, what she did was common sense- it was simple compassion. But that's not the verdict she's given. When she's branded Flawed she needs to learn how to live with this sentence- or she can fight back.
Flawed left me with a huge hangover that will only be satisfied when I get my hands on the sequel, Perfect, in April next year.


 
Empire of Storms- Sarah J. Maas 
Sarah J. Maas book number two! While I don't like the Throne of Glass series as much as the ACOTAR trilogy, I still bloody love it. Empire of Storms is my favourite of the series so far and that cliffhanger!!! The next book- the finale!- is going to be beyond epic and I'm majorly excited. If you haven't picked up the Throne of Glass series yet, there's still time!! Get on it!
The Thorne of Glass series is a mixture of assassins, royalty, romance, epicness and (I feel like this one's important), ultimate sass!





Wolf by Wolf- Ryan Graudin 
I read this very early on in the year and still thinking about it makes me all kinds of happy. The premise was enough to tide me over: it's an alternate history novel with elements of fantasy that follows ten years after World War 2- the only difference being that Hitler won the war. The story follows Yael- a shapeshifter hell-bent on assassinating Hitler. This book is gold- it's as simple as that. It's not a typical YA novel but it was so tortuously gripping and I'm so excited to read the sequel at some point.




Lady Midnight- Cassandra Clare
This is- by far- the best Cassie Clare book to date. Despite it being a humungous book, I flew through it and the cliff-hanger was amazing. I'm so pumped for the next book- it's going to be epic.
Lady Midnight is the first book of The Dark Artifices series- yet another spin-off from The Mortal Instruments. Still set in the beautiful world of Shadowhunters, Lady Midnight follows Emma and Julian in the LA Institute.






The Power- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
Of course one of my favourite authors would be on this list. The Power was a wonderful second book in the Titan series- a spin-off from the Covenant series following our lovable Apollyon, Seth. This book was amazing but I'm not ready to the series end next year! There's going to be a lot of tears and boy do I have many theories that had better come true!! Jennifer L. Armentrout is flawless at writing what the fans want so I'm 100% sure that this next finale will be perfect.




We Were Liars- E. Lockhart 
This was an unexpected favourite of the year. I actually read it twice back-to-back because, after finishing it, there was a huge hole in my chest that could only be replaced by reading the book. Reading it again was such a massive help and all the foreshadowing was brought to my eyes.
We Were Liars is a very short book that seems so much bigger than it is- the story is so complex that, when finishing, it's bizarre to think of such a broad and detailed world confined in such a small book. The writing is absolutely stunning and poetic which makes the story flow much nicer.




Ignite Me- Tahereh Mafi
I could've included the whole Shatter Me trilogy but I already did that with the Lunar Chronicles so I've picked my favourite in this trilogy. Ignite Me is the third and final book in the trilogy and it's my favourite because a certain someone- if you've read it, you know who I mean- is very prominent and (no spoilers) endgame in this book. This series is so beautifully written- completely poetic. The characters are fun, complex and entertaining and the plot is kick-ass. Juliette's character growth through this series was phenomenal and I think that's another reason why it's a favourite of mine- we see how far she's grown and how awesome she now is. I loved it and can see me re-reading the trilogy in 2017.


Shadow of a Girl- Shannon Greenland
This was a surprising favourite for me. I received it as a digital ARC and didn't expect to love it nearly as much as I did. This story is about a girl on the run from her abusive step-father. She joins a touring band in order to travel around and to prevent getting tracked by her father hell-bent on retrieving her. This book was fantastic and it had a thriller element that really grabbed me. Mixed with the adorable romance, it's a must-read.





Other Great Reads:

This is What Goodbye Looks Like- Olivia Rivers
Beautiful Disaster- Jamie McGuire
Heartless- Marissa Meyer  
November 9- Colleen Hoover

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your favourite books of 2016- I'd love to know! Stay amazing and have a happy new year!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment