Tuesday 13 December 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Original Screenplay)- J.K. Rowling BOOK TALK

**** (4.5 stars)
Obviously, I'm giving this screenplay the same star rating as the movie but... we saw that coming, right?
After watching the movie, I had to go straight out, buy and read the screenplay to get all the nitty-gritty details into my head. And, let me tell you, it was so good!
It only took me about an hour to read the whole thing but, boy, it was a good hour. I'd completely recommend reading this because it gives you such a further insight on the story and what's happening. There are deeper descriptions between each look and action and everything connects so much nicer. It's much easier to keep track of what each creature looks like and what they are called.
I can also safely say- though you can probably see for yourself- that this book is gorgeous! And the illustrations of the creatures inside the book? Stunning!
Would whole-heartedly recommend picking this up!
Also... go see the movie if you haven't yet! (Obviously).
I have an Adaptation Talk for the movie linked here if you missed it! 
 
AMAZON

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
Reading this screenplay was so amazing! The detail we get is astounding and, as I'd already seen the movie, it was playing out in my head so beautifully.

A personal thing that I loved about the screenplay was the descriptions of some of the creatures. J.K. Rowling herself has created these magical creatures and yet the descriptions were somewhat amusing to me. Apparently a Niffler is a cross between a mole and a duck-billed platypus whilst a Bowtruckle (Pickett!!!!) is a mix of a stick-insect and a plant. Riveting content right there. (I'm not hating- I genuinely found it amusing). How else are you supposed to describe magical creatures?
I really appreciated reading this because in the movie at times, I didn't catch what some of the characters said so the screenplay gave me a much better understanding of all the finer details and plot points. 
I loved Queenie even more after reading this. There are so many times where she'd read someone's mind- times that you don't even realise in the movie! Like when Kowalski jumps at a big bang of the Obscurial and Queenie reads a thought flashback of when he was in the war. She's actually incredibly smart but dulls it down so that everyone underestimates her- I admire that about her (kind of reminds me of Teen Wolf's Lydia). I can't wait to see her in future movies.
Overall, I completely loved this screenplay- and the movie- and am so thrilled that the next however-many-years- will be filled with new content from J.K Rowling's beloved wizarding world!

Thanks for reading! What were your thoughts? Feel free to comment below? Stay amazing!
Chloe 

No comments:

Post a Comment