Friday 11 November 2016

Iniquity (Ascent #1)- Melody Winter BOOK TOUR REVIEW


***
I received this ARC from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for a honest review. 
I don't know what I was expecting from this book but... it wasn't that. 
This book had such a unique and intriguing world and it makes me so excited for the next book. I think there's so much more to come from this series and I'm excited to see how it pans out.
The characters were, in general, lovable and the plot was executed at a nice pace. When first starting this book, I pretty much thought that I knew where the plot was going but it took a surprising turn that I appreciated and loved.
The book synopsis, links and author info are below this Book Talk in case you want to check the book out!

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
Athena was a great character (and not just because of her cool name). She was a strong-willed woman with a sturdy back-bone and I loved that about her. She had morals, principles and she stood by them. She has this determination to bring back the light and she doesn't let anyone warp that dream in her. I respected her a lot and I think that books are so much easier to read when you have a character you love.

When first reading, I'd assumed that Athena and Paymon would fall in love or something because... how old is old? I didn't imagine Paymon as grey and wrinkly or anything.
But then he died- rather abruptly I would say.
I like Erebus (especially towards the end of the book...wow) but I don''t think I'll ever love him. I think they make a cute couple- smoldering romance and all that- but I don't think I can ever really get on board with a relationship that started with rape... It just doesn't sit nicely in my head.
There was a dramatic change in Erebus. Maybe a little quick for my taste? I don't know. But he's okay now so...
I think the world in general was extremely interesting. I've read a few books about demons but this book took that concept to a whole new level (vampires...) and I enjoyed it. I think there's a lot of potential for an epic series and I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

BOOK INFO

Iniquity- Melody Winter
Publication Date: October 25th, 2016
Genre: Fantasy, New Adult, Romance

Image result for melody winterSynopsis: 
Athena Harrow is about to turn twenty-one, but there will be no celebration. What is there to celebrate when the world is ruled by demons?
She hates the darkness the demons brought with them and longs for the light to return to the world- a world she only vaguely remembers, The people in the forest village blindly accept the life the demons forced upon them, even tolerating the yearly ascension ceremony where all the girls who have turned twenty-one are either sent away to serve the Master Demon or left in the village and forced to procreate.
But Paymon, the assigned village demon, selects a different role for Athena, a role that pits her against the village. While she adapts to her new life, Erebus, a younger, more powerful demon, arrives, and Athena must play a dangerous game with her emotions in return for information about the demon's reign of darkness.
As Athena's dreams of restoring the light begin to fade, her life with Erebus takes an unexpected turn, and this time it's her life being put to the test.
Set in the forest around Buttercrambe in North Yorkshire, England, Iniquity explores the frightening, darker side of romance and the uncontrollable emotions it can unleash.


AUTHOR INFO

Image result for melody winterGrowing up, Melody showed a natural ability in art, a head for maths, and a tendency to write too long English essays. Difficult to place in the world when she graduated, she pursued a career in teaching, but ended up working in finance. Melody is convinced the methodical times she spends working with numbers fuel her desire to drift into dream worlds and write about illusory characters in her head.
Melody Winter lives in York, North Yorkshire England with her husband and two sons. When not dealing with football, rugby, and a whole plethora of 'boy' activities, she will be found scribbling notes for her stories, or preparing for another trip to the nearby beaches at Scarborough and Whitby. With an obsession for anything mythical, Melody revels in reading and writing about such creatures.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting today, Chloe! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete