Tuesday 17 July 2018

Heathers Musical: Act 1 SOUNDTRACK REVIEW

Recently, I've listened to the soundtrack of Heathers in its entirety and... I've become obsessed. Just like Hamilton, just like Dear Evan Hansen, I haven't been able to stop listening to the soundtrack on repeat.
Heathers is based off the movie made in 1989, and I'd describe it as an old-fashioned Mean Girls but... with a lot more murder. It's a much (much much much) darker musical than I was expecting but I loved it! The whole plot was really shocking and sinister and it had me listen to the entire soundtrack in one go. 
I thought I'd give it a little review. I wasn't a huge fan of the songs during the first listen (I was more interested in the actual plot) but, having heard the songs over and over again, I now love them.
I will say that I prefer Act 2 to Act 1 but, nevertheless, I'll go into Act 1 first!
SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD

Beautiful
This is one hell of a long song to start off a musical but I did like it immediately. It was a nice way to introduce all the characters and it instantly made me like Veronica. It was relatable (who else doesn't want to blow up their school every once in a while?) and very funny at points. I usually skip this song just because it's so long but I do like it.

Candy Store
I wasn't a massive fan of this song to begin with but it's certainly grown on me. This is one of those that can get in your head super easily and I'll find myself humming it all the time. I also love the harmonising in this song- it's transfixing. 

Fight For Me
This isn't my favourite song. I think it's a little stupid how Veronica gets so loved up simply because JD got in a fight. She doesn't even know his name at this point and she's smitten! And maybe I also have a little bone to pick with it because, while she's singing 'can you fight for me?' through the whole thing, I'm sitting here wondering why she can't fight for herself. Maybe it's a bit of a feminist issue I have but, damn girl, fight for yourself once in a while! Be empowering!

Freeze Your Brain
I love this song so much. It was the first main JD solo and, for some reason, I like his songs the most (don't worry, not because I love the guy... he's a serial killer psychopath, after all). But this song can be really relatable, I think, because I think everyone wants to freeze their brain once in a while to make themselves forget their troubles.
I also liked this song because it's the first time we see JD be vulnerable. He's got such a tragic past and it's nice to learn about it and see how it's effected.
It also happens to be a catchy song and JD has a great voice...

Big Fun
This song was a little annoying to me at first but now it's grown on me. I can't help but dance and move a little because the song's so catchy and makes you want to move. 

Dead Girl Walking
Now, this is my favourite song at the moment! It gets me so pumped!! It makes me want to sing the lyrics at the top of my lungs (which I refrain from doing because the lyrics are quite sexual and I don't want neighbours and family member alike thinking I'm crazy). I love how Veronica is completely drunk and out of her mind, charges up to JD giving him orders and he's just like... 'okay.' I love how this song has a rock edge to it and it's the first song I put on repeat.

The Me Inside of Me
I had similar feelings about this song as I did with Beautiful. It feels really long and it jumps around to a lot of people, a lot of dialogue and a lot of different melodies. Having said that, I like the message behind it and there's a lot of funny dialogue within this song. 

Blue
Now, I have many questions behind this song. The first being; why the hell does the most catchy song in this musical have to be about blue balls and date rape?!?! I want to sing this song over and over again but I refuse to because I'd get too many weird looks.
I hate that I love this song so much and find it so funny because it is about date-rape but... I can't help that it's an entertaining song. I literally can't listen to this song without laughing or smiling. I've also watched a video recording of the show and this scene was definitely the funniest. The actors for Ram and Kurt did so well and the audience were in stitches. I just wish it wasn't as catchy and easy to get in my head because it's mortifying to sing out loud. 

Blue (Reprise)
This is just as stupid a song, just as catchy, and just as mortifying to sing out loud. But it's still hilarious with a side note of kinda cringey.

Our Love is God
This is another of my favourites. I love Veronica and JD revealing what they feel about each other (even if it is a little unhealthy). It's so interesting to start seeing the craziness in JD as he considers his relationship to be like God- a divine thing that has ultimate power and can dictate life and death. It's like he's justifying his actions.
The murder of Kurt and Ram was intense and... man, I wanted to slap Veronica around the face after it happened. Why the hell would stick with that psychopath when he's just murdered two people?! I don't care how in love you are, that has to be a pretty obvious red flag.
I love how, the first verse of them singing 'our love is God' is so cute and loving but then, when they sing it again after the murders of Kurt and Ram, it sounds so much more sinister, with an electric guitar in the background... it's just so powerful!
When first listening to the song I wasn't a fan of the final few notes- they were uncomfortable to listen to and didn't really work perfectly. But, now, after listening to it a lot, I love it because the note's supposed to be uncomfortable! JD has just murdered Kurt and Ram and Veronica is realising that he's a psychopath... the slightly off note just perfectly conveys the tension and discomfort.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe 

4 comments:

  1. I love heathers! I do have to agree, candy store is that kind of song that gets into your head really easily.
    Maia
    https://idleteenagerebellion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so catchy, I know. Thanks for commenting!
      I just checked out your blog and it's awesome! I particularly love the name :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Could you do a Heathers storyline summary and where the songs fit in for first time listeners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I looked up the synopsis on Wiki but I'm sure I could write it with a bit more flair ;) Working on this brilliant idea immediately! Trust me, you'll love Heathers!

      Delete