Saturday 3 April 2021

An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia Quinn | BOOK REVIEW

* * * *

Non-spoiler

I sped through this so fast! I couldn’t get enough! Benedict and Sophie’s story was a Cinderella retelling which I absolutely adored. This story had MAJOR love-at-first-sight vibes but it didn’t annoy me all that much. I just accepted the insta-love and let myself enjoy the book.

Benedict was one of my favourites from the TV show and the book did nothing but strengthen my love of him. I thought Sophie was a perfect match for him (though, I really wanted TV show Benedict to be gay…). I loved the Cinderella-esque qualities of Sophie’s circumstances and watching the two of them develop a relationship was beautiful.

I also especially loved this book because we got to see our first true appearance of Eloise! She was definitely my favourite character of the show so I’ve been waiting not-so-patiently for her to show up in the books! I loved that we saw glimpses of Benedict and Eloise’s close bond because I adored their dynamic in the show.

I continue to absolutely love Colin, despite him being such a minor character at the moment! I don’t think the show has done his character justice just yet- he’s constantly making me smile and laugh! I also have to say that my initial opinion of book- Violet has changed. At first, I thought she was pushy and annoying but I like her a lot more now- she’s funny, kind and extremely clever.

I loved the structure of this story. The masquerade ball. The two-year time jump. The time spent at My Cottage before going to live with the Bridgertons. The arrest and jail time. It all worked so well! The pacing was great and I found myself addicted to this story way more than the first two books (though, Anthony and Kate are probably still my favourites so far. I think the only book that could dethrone them would be Eloise’s. We’ll have to see…)

Overall, I devoured this story and can’t wait to continue the series! I’m excited to see more of Colin and Penelope in the next book! It’s been really fun knowing Lady Whistledown’s identity this whole time and I can’t wait to see how everything plays out!

No comments:

Post a Comment