Saturday 17 April 2021

When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn | BOOK REVIEW

* * * *

Non-spoiler

I really loved this one! I absolutely fell in love with this book and this couple. When He Was Wicked is definitely the steamiest Bridgerton book so far. The romance was scorching and addictive so, if that’s you cuppa tea, this is the book for you.

I didn’t know much about Francesca going into this book but I liked her. I can’t say she’s my favourite female protagonist of them all but she was smart and funny and passionate. Michael… was probably one of my favourite male protagonists, though. He was funny, charming, sexy and nowhere near as problematic as some of the other characters (after Phillip in the last book, Michael seemed like he fell from heaven).

I thought the ‘I’m-in-love-with-my-cousins-wife’ take on a popular trope was fun, well done and worked really well for the characters. I was glued to the page whenever Francesca and Michael were in the same scene and the ending was beyond satisfying.

The side characters I really loved in this book were Hyacinth and Colin. I haven’t mentioned Hyacinth too much before but she’s phenomenal! She gives me Netflix-Eloise vibes and she’s always making me laugh. I’m so excited that the next book is her POV. I also loved to see Colin (when don’t I love seeing Colin?). This book overlaps with Colin and Eloise’s story so it was nice to align the timings and know what was about to happen. Colin was charming and swoon-worthy as always but I also love how perceptive he is and, in many ways, he set things in motion throughout this book.

Overall, I adored this book so much. It will be one of my favourites of the series for sure but I don’t even know how I’m going to go about ranking these books. (All I can currently place are the two books that will be ranked last).

No comments:

Post a Comment