Saturday 23 February 2019

Killing Eve 1x01 'Nice Face' TV TALK

* * * *
Yes, I've already reviewed the whole of season one in a single review (linked here, you're welcome) but... I couldn't resist. I love this show so much and, as I'm re-watching season one ready for season two in April, I thought I'd give a little deeper review into each episode!
If you've never heard of or watched Killing Eve, (first of all, how dare you?), I highly urge you to jump onto this train before season two.
Killing Eve is essentially a cat-and-mouse game between an assassin and an MI6 agent, becoming fascinated with each other and kind of stalking each other. This series is full action, remarkable humour and a subtle sexual tension that creates something unique and addictive.
Feeling sufficiently interested in the premise? Good. Go watch it.


SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
Straight away, we're introduced to Villanelle and... I think it was love at first sight for me. For no reason at all (other than she's a psychopath), Villanelle dumps ice cream all over a child and... it's so random but kind of funny! It's one of those actions that everybody thinks to themselves ("what would happen if I...") but we never actually do! Got to admire Villanelle's guts.

And then we're introduced to Eve who is such a lovely opposite to Villanelle. She's lovable but in an endearing, clumsy way that differs from Villanelle. Eve also happens to have a fascination with serial killers and... that's kinda cool. Obviously, I don't particularly agree with serial killers and think what they're doing is vile and wrong (just to clarify so no one thinks I'm a psychopath), but I read my fair share of books with female assassins and, I'll admit, they're pretty cool.
We see our first Villanelle kill and... it's beautiful. I may not condone what assassins do but I can admire their intelligence, cunning and, when it comes to Villanelle, flair. She goes to Tuscany to kill someone important and she does it with a beautifully hidden hairpin... nice.
The only problem is that there's a witness- a girl called Kasia. Eve manages to interview her and gets the proof that the killer was a female- something Eve had suspected all along.
Villanelle comes along and kills Kasia in hospital, along with all the guards and nurses, to try and clean up the witness mess and the best thing is that Villanelle and Eve are in the same room without knowing each other!!! Already, this show has you on the edge of your seat.
Eve and Bill are fired from MI5 because of their reckless behaviour but Carolyn quickly plants the seed for Eve to become a secret agent for MI6 to track down Villanelle.
And, alas, a beautiful show is born.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment