Saturday 2 February 2019

January Wrap Up 2019

I'm so happy that, this month, I didn't re-read a single book! Last year, I re-read way too much (about 70% of my total books read) and my aim this year was to read at least 50% new books and I started really well this month! I read a total of 6 books and none of them were re-reads!! It was a great start to the year!

The only problem with only reading new books is that I'm running super behind on book reviews so... stay tuned for many of them!

BOOKS
Uprooted- Naomi Novik 
* * * *
I've always heard so much hype about this book and I can now agree that it totally deserves every bit of praise. This story had such an intricate plot and concept of magic and it was fascinating! I loved the characters and so much happened! By the time I'd reached 100 pages, I felt like I'd read an entire novel arc.
Review to come.


If There's No Tomorrow- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
* * * * 
In my eyes, Jennifer L. Armentrout can do no wrong. This book was stunning and, while it was a lot heavier emotionally than what I was expecting, it left me awestruck and captivated. This is a drama, romance Young Adult book and it's just so easy and interesting to read.
Review to come.



Dear Evan Hansen- Val Emmich 
* * * *
I've been obsessed with the musical for a while now so, as soon as a book was announced, I was on board this train! And, no surprise, it was great! This story fits a book format so well and I loved reading more depth about certain characters that you don't get the time to do in the musical. The protagonist is super relatable to all anxiety-ridden introverts out there (*raises hand*) and it's got such a comforting and profound message.
Dear Evan Hansen Book Review



Kingdom Cold- Brittni Chenelle
* *
I've received this book as a digital arc from the author so a full review will be coming up soon but, in general, this book was okay. Sure, it was entertaining and fast-paced and intriguing but the characters are the reason for it falling at the last hurdle for me. I didn't particularly care for any of the characters at all, I was never rooting for them, because they were all so immature and stupid. It did spoil my enjoyment of the book a bit so hence why I was forced to give a lower star rating unfortunately.


Renegades- Marissa Meyer
* * * * *
This book has been on my shelf for years and I'm cursing myself for not picking it up sooner because it was perfect!! This is a book about superheroes and villains (which instantly earns it brownie points) but it skews the sides of good vs evil so well! I love stories where the villains aren't obvious or can change depending on the perspective and this story delivered so brilliantly. The characters were lovable and perfect and I fell in love instantly.
I shouldn't even be surprised because I loved The Lunar Chronicles so why should this series be any different?
Renegades Book Review


Archenemies (Renegades #2)- Marissa Meyer
* * * * *
So, of course, I went straight into the sequel. I will admit that I didn't like the sequel as much- it was a little slow burning at times- but it was still amazing. The last few chapters were where everything picked up at 100 mph and my heart was beating out of my chest. I love the whole premise of this story and the character development and relationships are what's keeping me so glued to the story. I can't wait for the final book to come out!
Review to come.



MOVIES and TV
Christopher Robin
* * * *
Technically this was the tail end of December but I didn't include it last month so here we are. I watched this with my brother and cousin and it was so much better than I thought it would be! I wasn't super impressed with the trailer so I had pretty low expectations but it was lovely! It was super sweet and just made my heart happy and carefree which is exactly what I want in a movie.

Doctor Who: New Years Special
* * * * * 
Having loved the newest series with Jodie Whittaker as the first female doctor, I was blown away by this episode. The Daleks were the villain for this episode and I was so excited!!!! You just can't top the Daleks!!! It was great seeing Jodie work with the oldest and baddest villain and it was my favourite episode with her in yet.

Mean Girl the Musical
* * * * 
Technically I've watched this twice because I became obsessed with this musical this month! I found some clips on Youtube of the Broadways show and it was phenomenal!!! I had some issues with a few of the songs but seeing them performed live changed everything and I became even more obsessed with the musical soundtrack.

Mean Girls (Re-watch)
* * * *
As I became addicted to the musical, it was only fair I give the source material a re-watch. I hadn't watched this in years but I forgot how good it was! I enjoyed it more than I think I ever had and it was kind of nostalgic watching such a classic movie for my generation.

Mamma Mia 2 (Re-watch)
* * * * 
Me and my mum sat down to watch this once more and it was great! I absolutely love Lily James in this film- she carries the whole thing for me- and the songs are always on point. I love learning about Donna's past and this is just a feel-good film that you can't say no to.

Jack and Dani: Life After Love Island
* * * *
This is a guilty pleasure for me but I just love it. I absolutely loved Love Island this year and the winners, Jack and Dani (who are maybe the most perfect couple in existence) did a three part series following their lives and events after Love Island. Jack and Dani are so funny and sweet and this was just an easy and feel-good watch.

Pitch Perfect and Pitch Perfect 2 (Re-watch)
* * * *
Me and my mum are getting my brother into Pitch Perfect so this involved super fun rewatch movie nights. For some reason, watching them with my brother made them ten times funnier and we had a great laugh.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment