Saturday 29 May 2021

Moxie | MOVIE REVIEW

* * *

Non-spoiler

As soon as I finished the book, I watched the movie and it was super faithful! Pretty much everything that happens in the book happens in the movie and the characters stayed true to themselves. Because it was so accurate to the book, it still lacked depth for me and the characters sometimes felt two-dimensional. But, overall, it was a great adaptation.

Just like the book, I really liked the premise and how women’s issues were raised and discussed. Again, I think if I had seen this movie and read the book in my early teens, I would’ve absolutely loved it and obsessed over the message. But, as I’m older and have a healthy passion for all things feminism, nothing about this movie was particularly ground-breaking or mind-blowing to me. I do hope it speaks to a lot of younger people though and introduces and inspires them to educate themselves on women’s rights- especially intersectionality which was one thing that really shone in this movie for me. Don’t get me wrong, I thought a couple of things felt tokenistic and on-the-nose but the topic of race was brilliantly raised hand-in-hand with feminism.

The casting was really solid for this movie and lined up with the book well. I think I preferred Seth in the movie to the book though I will say that book-Seth was more flawed and probably more realistic.

Overall, this was a faithful book adaptation and would have been eye-opening to me as a kid. I love the premise and the message but it wasn’t as hard-hitting and impactful as I wanted it to be. I can’t really put my finger on it but something was lacking. So, an enjoyable movie, but unlikely to be a favourite of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment