Sunday 2 May 2021

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout | BOOK REVIEW

 * * *
Non-spoiler

I am gradually making my way through Jen’s backlog of books which is so much fun. While JLA is my all-time favourite author, this was not my all-time favourite book of hers. You can easily tell that it’s early-days Jen just from the writing style and how much she has grown as an author. I didn’t mind this book but it will never be a fave of mine.

This book had an interesting plot. I liked the Shatter-Me-esque concept and the characters were entertaining enough. I thought Ember was a strong character and her dedication to her sister was admirable. I also liked Hayden and his blossoming relationship with Ember- though, I will admit that Hayden’s feelings for her were very insta-lovey. He saw her once, didn’t even speak to her, and then couldn’t stay away? Sure...

The story was interesting and I loved how it had a thriller/mystery type feel. However, I think the villain reveal was very obvious and I predicted it from the second the character came onto the scene. Nevertheless, the final scenes were climactic and well done. I would’ve liked a little more closure and loose ends to be tied up at the very end but, overall, it was an enjoyable read.

I don’t think this will ever be my favourite JLA book because it didn’t fill me with the obsessive, giddy feeling that I usually have with her books but it was nice to see how her writing has evolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment