Sunday 9 May 2021

Unchained by Jennifer L. Armentrout | BOOK REVIEW

* * *

Non-spoiler

Fantasy romance is my all-time favourite genre and this was a solid read of Nephilim and Fallen Angels. It will never be my favourite JLA book. It kind of felt like The Dark Elements series was a re-imagined and better executed version of Unchained. Julian walked so Roth could run.

I really liked Lily and Julian and they were my favourite plotline to follow. I wasn’t a huge fan of the other random POVs we got throughout the book and I skim-read most of Michael’s chapters. It was pretty obvious what Michael was going to end up being and I understand that this story was supposed to be a series so we would have had a lot more time to explore how his character learned to accept and thrive on his powers (he’s the equivalent of Trinity in the Dark Elements but Trinity is 100 times cooler).

Lily’s journey to realising that not all Fallen are evil really reminded me of Layla’s epiphany that not all demons are evil in the Dark Elements. Honestly, the only thing that Unchained did better was the steamy scenes. In any other way, the Dark Elements is superior.

I thought the plot was solid but the end ‘villain’ was pretty predictable and unsurprising. This was the second book that Jen ever wrote and that was evident in the reading experience for him. Not that it was bad but it definitely didn’t meet the sky high standards of her other books.

Overall, this was a fun and quick read but it felt like an early and poor version of the Dark Elements. In the future, I think I’m just going to stick with Roth and Layla.

No comments:

Post a Comment