Saturday 15 May 2021

Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu | BOOK REVIEW

 * * *

This book was always going to be my cuppa tea. Feminism and calling out the patriarchy? Count me in.

I liked Moxie. It was fun and raised a lot of important points when it comes to female empowerment and misogyny. The concept was cool and I would’ve loved a female revolution or club when I was at school.

The characters in Moxie were okay but they’re never going to be my favourite characters ever. They were a little two-dimensional at times. However, I will say that I loved the female friendships that blossomed throughout the story. The love interest, Seth, was alright but I thought that he often got praised and celebrated for doing the bare minimum. He doesn’t objectify women and he believes they should be equal? Congrats. So should everyone.

I thought the plot was fun but often predictable and the ‘twists’ and ‘turns’ weren’t exactly mind-blowing. But, overall, it was a fun read and if I had read it in my early teens, I know I would have loved and appreciated it back then a lot more.

I’m also super excited to see the movie adaptation on Netflix. I’ve heard really great things and I hope that the adaptation brings a bit more maturity and depth to the story.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly the movie didn’t add much maturity and depth to the story, I recently read the book before watching the movie. I am dissapointed :’)

    ReplyDelete