Tuesday 8 June 2021

Roomies by Christina Lauren | BOOK REVIEW

* * * *

Non-spoiler

I’ve heard a lot of hype about Christina Lauren books but, after reading Twice in a Blue Moon, I felt a little underwhelmed. Roomies, however, was a vast improvement and made me more excited to jump into the backlog of Christina Lauren. It was cute concept and the characters were easy going and loveable.

I really liked Holland as a protagonist. She was an inspiring writer which made her very relatable to me and I loved the exploration into her purpose and insecurities. She wasn’t 100% sure of what she wanted in life and struggled to put what she wanted before others and I appreciated her journey to discover herself before she truly committed to someone else.

Calvin was a standard, good love interest. He was charming, sexy and loveable. (He also had a Irish accent which wins immediate brownie points for me). I thought he was well-suited to Holland and I enjoyed watching their relationship develop. Roomies had an interesting take on the ‘fake dating’ trope which worked really well and the pages turned themselves.

There was a great set of side characters but one particular subplot I really appreciated was Holland’s friendship dynamic with Lulu. Throughout, there were obvious toxic traits in Lulu’s behaviour and I liked that the book didn’t give her a redemption arc- sometimes people are just toxic and they will never change. Sometimes, it’s not worth it to stick around and wait for them to become a better person. You have to consider whether the relationship is healthy for you. I have experienced this in the past so I really loved reading about a friendship dynamic which didn’t end with unrealistic make-ups and happily ever afters.

Overall, I thought this was a really great book and I devoured it. I’m really excited to read more of Christina Lauren now. Any recommendations would be great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment