Saturday 26 June 2021

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas | BOOK REVIEW

 * * * *

Non-spoiler

I’m actually ashamed of how long it took me to read this. The Hate U Give is a massively important and emotional book and I found myself captivated through the entire thing. The characters were lively and vibrant and the different relationships were so realistic and heart-warming. The message of this book was enlightening and I completely understand why it’s as hyped up as it is.

Starr is a great protagonist. I love that we got to see her grow and speak up despite her fear and despite the risks. Her perspective on the world was eye-opening and I really enjoyed reading about her. I also thought the contrast between her school life and home life was interesting and it was great to see that, throughout the book, the two versions of her started to blend together until she was just 100% herself and wasn’t ashamed of any part of herself.

What I loved most about this book was the range of different relationships we got to see and explore. Starr and her relationship with Chris, her parents, her siblings, DeVante, her school friends, Kenya, her Uncle. There were so many different dynamics which made it easy to fall in love with these characters. My personal favourite dynamic was Starr’s mum and dad- they were so sweet and obviously in love and I’m obsessed with them! I also thought her dad was one of the most amazing parents I’ve seen portrayed in fiction- his dedication to his children and family melted my heart.

The Hate U Give commented on some extremely serious and poignant topics and I think it dealt with them exceptionally. It didn’t sugarcoat anything and was a brutally honest look at the issues in our society. I think this is a book that will stick with me for a long time and is a brilliant tool to start open discussions about equality in our society.

Overall, I adored this book and can’t wait to dive into more by Angie Thomas. The characters were complex and interesting and the social commentary was so important and impactful.

No comments:

Post a Comment