Saturday 4 January 2020

Favourite Books of 2019

It's that time of year again! 2019 is over and I get to list out my favourite reads of the year! Like always, the following books may not necessarily have been released in 2019, but have just been books that I read for the first time this year.
Let's start with some honourable mentions that didn't quite make the cut...

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

If There's No Tomorrow- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
* * * * 
It kind of pains me to have a JLA book in the honourable mentions because hers are usually all my faves (as evident in the three of her books in my faves this year) but this one just fell a tiny bit short. Obviously, I loved it (it would be sacrilegious not to) but it wasn't as all-consuming as her other books are. I loved the story and characters but, just from the nature of the story, it was a bit of a downer. It dealt with some difficult subjects and, while that's amazing to read, it dampens the obsessive love for the story sometimes.


A Very Large Expanse of Sea- Tahereh Mafi
* * * *
This book would totally be in my list of favourites if it wasn't for that ending! The end of this book disappointed me and it let the book down a little. I think this story is so amazing and would make a perfect movie but... the ending just dulled the love for me.

Vox- Christina Dalcher
* * * * 
Similar to A Very Large Expanse of Sea, I loved the main chunk of this book but the end was a bit of a let down. The premise of this book had me hooked instantly and it was such a memorable read.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo- Taylor Jenkins Reid
* * * *
I absolutely devoured this book in a day and it was so unique and entertaining. I loved the depth of the characters and the twists of the story but, for some reason, I couldn't quite give it five stars? I don't even know why- there was just something missing.

Now, on with the favourites! (In no particular order...)


FAVOURITES

Renegades/Archenemies- Marissa Meyer
* * * * *
I am a massive fan of both the Lunar Chronicles and Heartless so I knew I'd love this series. I'm also a huge lover of Marvel movies and superheroes so... it was a match made in heaven! I sped through these two books and, while I think the second book dragged just a tiny bit and got a bit frustrating when certain identities weren't revealed, I fell in love with them. I haven't finished the series just yet but I can't wait to jump into the third book.
Renegades Book Talk
Archenemies Book Talk

Dry- Neal Shusterman

* * * * *
Neal Shusterman just has this amazing ability to come up with the coolest story premises and execute them perfectly. This book terrified me in the best way possible. Set in a future where we completely run out of water, seeing the implications of this were hauntingly accurate and filled me with dread. The characters were engaging and this book was stuck in my head for a long time after finishing it.

Till Death- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
* * * * *
The first JLA book in this list! I actually read this book twice this year because I loved it so damn much. This is an adult romance thriller and I was gripped from page one (like with most JLA books...). The characters were great, the romance scorching and the twist reveal at the end had me face palming because how didn't I predict it?!? So, basically, everything you want in a romance thriller.

A Darker Shade of Magic Trilogy- V. E. Schwab
* * * * *
V. E. Schwab was another stand out author for me this year and it started with this series. I'd read (and loved) Vicious last year but that was the only of her books I'd ever read. I'd heard so many great things about this series and... now I can see why. This world was so colourful and unique and the characters were so easy to fall in love with!
A Darker Shade of Magic BOOK TALK
A Gathering of Shadows BOOK TALK

Monsters of Verity Duology- V. E. Schwab
* * * * *
Falling further into my love for V E. Schwab, I read this duology and was hardly surprised when it turned out to be amazing. I love the exploration of good and evil and the characters were so interesting and complex. I liked the first book more than the second but, boy, the ending absolutely floored me! I couldn't stop crying.
This Savage Song BOOK TALK

100 Days of Sunlight- Abbie Emmons
* * * * *
This was an arc I was sent via Netgalley and I'm so happy I received it! This was such a beautiful debut novel and I loved the representation of disability and the optimistic feel of the book. It was an easy and delightful read and it also introduced me to the amazing author, Abbie Emmons, and her Youtube channel. Abbie talks all about writing and how to make your story matter and I love it- the tips and advice have helped me so much with my own projects.

Storm and Fury- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
* * * * *
The second JLA book to grace my favourites and I don't what I can say about her amazing books without repeating myself for the millionth time.
Storm and Fury is the first of a spin-off of The Dark Elements series. I'll admit, I was a bit sceptical going into this because I was never a massive fan of Zayne- I was Team Roth all the way. But Storm and Fury really gave him the space to shine and I also fell in love with our protagonist, Trinity. I love how Trinity has the same eye disease that JLA has- it's an admirable and inspiring way to raise awareness.

Without Merit- Colleen Hoover
* * * * *
Colleen Hoover is another author that I would've expected to be on this list. CoHo somehow manages to create these lovely romance but also gut-wrenching and soul-crushing plots! And... apparently, it's a combination that I live for because I can't seem to get enough of it.
Without Merit had the perfect amount of romance, humour and serious topics. It dealt with mental health in such a subtle, sophisticated and poignant way and it is 100% deserving of a place in my Favourites for 2019.
Without Merit BOOK TALK

The Burning Shadow- Jennifer L. Armentrout 
* * * * *
This was actually the last book I read in 2019 and it was perfection!!! The Burning Shadow is a continuation of The Origin series (a spin-off of The Lux series) and it was even better than the first. Evie is a great and complex character to follow and Luc is... well, he's Luc. I devoured this book with a huge grin on my face and a lot of love in my heart. There were reunions in this book that I've been waiting so long for and I already can't wait for the next instalment to come out!

And that was my 2019 favourites in a nutshell! This was a pretty great year in terms of reading and I'm so excited to see what 2020 has in store!

What were your favourite reads if 2019?

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing,
Chloe

2 comments: