Tuesday 7 January 2020

Top 10 Books of the Decade!!!

As well as my favourite books of 2019, I also wanted to list my top ten books of the decade! These aren't necessarily my favourites because they're amazing books but because they mean a lot to me for different reasons and I have memories and experiences attached to them.

1. Jacqueline Wilson Books
I read Jacqueline Wilson books at the beginning of this decade when I was about nine years old and they were the first real kind of books I read and really enjoyed. Particularly, Hetty Feather was one of my favourite books and My Sister Jodie is the first book that ever made me cry. While I haven't read these books since the very beginning of the 2010s, I hold a lot of fondness for them as they were a stepping stone to my love of reading.

2. Judy Blume Books
Similar to Jacqueline Wilson, I read Judy Blume books at the beginning of the decade, probably when I was around ten. My favourites were Are You There God, It's Me Margaret and Forever. I particularly remember reading Forever and feeling so oddly grown up because it had the barest of sex scenes in it and I'd never read anything like it before. Ten-year-old me felt so mature. These books were the bridge between kids books and YA for me which will always hold a significance to me.

3. Gallagher Academy series- Ally Carter
I distinctly remember that I must've read these books when I was 11 years old because I had operations on my feet at this age and these books really helped distract me and help me through. I remember reading the first book when I was on holiday and forcing my parents to take me to a bookshop because I couldn't wait to read the sequel! This was the first series I was truly obsessed with and the first fandom (however small) I considered myself to be a part of. When I went back to school after my operations, I would go to the library by myself, pretend I was a spy like the girls in these books and would write up Covert Operations reports about my day. It helped me through the loneliness of being an introvert in school and I will forever cherish that.

4. Souls Screamers series- Rachel Vincent
This was the second series that truly got me into my obsession for books. It was maybe the first true YA series I'd ever read and I fell in love with it. Tod was one of my first book boyfriends and I think he'll always be one of my favourites. I looked up to the characters in this series- their strength, perseverance, bravery- and I learnt so much from these books.

5. Soulmates- Holly Bourne
This was my favourite contemporary book for so many years during the first half of the decade. Being an introvert and loner at school, it was so easy to fall in love with the idea of a soulmate and read about this beautiful romance. I cried so hard when I read the ending and cried every time rereading it. In fact, every time I used to re-read this book, I would haul myself into my room for the last couple of chapters, turn on Gabrielle Aplin's 'Power of Love' and just let myself sob at the ending because, apparently, I like to torture myself.

6. Undone- Cat Clarke
This was another of my favourite contemporary books during the first half of the decade and I re-read it every single December. It's a beautiful story of love, loss, revenge and heart-break and it really struck a chord with me. Even at a young age, the seriousness of the topics and prejudices discussed moved me and stayed with me. I hated the ending at first but, as I reread it every year, the more I appreciated how bitter-sweet and tragic it is.

7. Morganville Vampires series- Rachel Caine
I've only read this series a couple of times but it's a 15 book series! That's a lot of books to commit to. This was during the vampire period of the decade as the aftermath of the Twilight books and movies forged on. This series may have a lot of books but it means you feel so much closer to the characters because you've been by their side for so long and through so much. I love this series- from the nerdy protagonist to the friends that become family but this series was also significant to me last decade because Rachel Caine was the first (and currently only) author I've ever met. I went to one of her book signings with my friend and it was a great experience. I was nervous and terrified but it was a great time and really confirmed to me that I want to be in the position one day where book lovers are lining up to my own book signing.

8. A Court of Mist and Fury- Sarah J. Maas
I couldn't sum up the 2010s without talking about the significance of this book. ACOMAF is my favourite of the trilogy, favourite Sarah J. Maas book and one of my favourite books of all time. It's not just the romance (which is scorching), and the friendships (which are perfect) but the female empowerment and the personal growth and strength explored. The protagonist is in such a dark place and this book is her journey to discovering herself, growing her confidence and standing up for herself and those she loves. It taught me so much, made me re-evaluate my own journey, and stuck with me for a long time after finishing. It taught me the respect I deserve from people and that I should never settle for any less.

9. Tower of Dawn- Sarah J. Maas
I could've easily put Empire of Storms or Kingdom of Ash on this list but the female empowerment of Aelin isn't what I want to focus on about this series (though, it is amazing). I want to focus on Chaol and the representation of disability and how much it meant to me. Chaol has always been a character that I love (I know he's had some haters over the years) and I'm so happy that Tower of Dawn gave him the chance to shine. But, more importantly, the way his disability was handled was like nothing I've ever seen before- especially in fantasy. The genre of fantasy is one where disability is rarely included and Chaol's journey throughout this book- the emotional and mental as well as just the physical- was inspiring and empowering. It has even inspired me to include a disabled character in my own work-in-progress- a condition that is influenced by my own. I think this representation is so important and books like Tower of Dawn really pave the way to make it more included in YA fantasy.

10. The Covenant series- Jennifer L. Armentrout

And, finally, the piéce de résistance.... Jennifer L. Armentrout.
Honestly, this slot could be taken by literally any JLA book because they're all my favourite but the Covenant series holds special significance to me because it was the first series I'd ever read of JLAs and it kick-started the obsession that took up the second half of the decade. It's no secret that Jennifer is my all-time favourite author and I can't fault any of her books. The characters are sassy, the romances swoon-worthy and the writing effortlessly entertaining. Her books never fail to cheer me up, inspire me and motivate me.

It was an amazing decade that kick started my love (...obsession) of reading and I can't wait to see what books the 2020s hold.

What were your favourite books of the decade?

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing,
Chloe

4 comments:

  1. Tower of Dawn was so insanely amazing that I am angry at myself I waited so long to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I think that's another thing that's so great about it- everyone had super low expectations XD

      Delete
  2. Great post!! It's so rare to see people appreciate the Gallagher Girls series so I got so excited seeing it on your list! Definitely one of my favorites of the decade as well. I've read the first two books in the Soul Screamers series but I'm definitely excited to continue on with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gallagher Girls are so underrated! And you should definitely continue with the Soul Screamers- the final three of the series are the absolute best- you'll love them!!
      x

      Delete