Monday 8 March 2021

Wandavision | TV REVIEW

* * * * *

Spoilers

WandaVision is Marvel’s most original and ambitious story yet. I was apprehensive going into this show because I had no idea what to expect. But I should never doubt Marvel because it was phenomenal! The sitcom through the decades was funny and charming and I think this story worked so well as a show rather than a movie- it gave us a chance to make predictions and theories which was maybe the best part.

The first couple of pure-sitcom episodes were a joy to watch. I loved the humour and quirkiness of the concept. But the story is elevated when the real-world elements came into play. It was an ambitious concept and plot but it played out perfectly, with twists and turns at every point and satisfying character arcs.

Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany truly stole the show. I’ve never minded Wanda or Vision but I found a whole new love for them during this show- especially Wanda. Her character development was complex and captivating. Her powers (and costume!) were awesome and there is no doubt that she’s the strongest Avengers. She’s been through so much and it was heart-breaking to see her deal with grief and work through that. I was close to tears so many tears because, out of everyone, she has lost the most and Olsen portrayed Wanda’s grief spectacularly. The theme of grief also presented maybe one of my favourite Marvel quotes ever: “What is grief, if not love persevering?”

We also had an amazing cast of side characters from Monica, Jimmy and Darcy (my fave!), to X-Men Quicksilver and the twins. I also loved Agatha who the perfect staple of a Marvel villain- noble principles but evil execution (plus, a theme song that stayed in my head for weeks!).

WandaVision was a joy to watch and showcased every reason why I love Marvel so much. It was the perfect story to lead onto the next Phase of the MCU and I can’t wait to see how Wanda’s powers continue to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment