Saturday 10 August 2019

Three Dark Crowns || Book of the Month

Honestly, I'm actually sad this is my second post about this book because I hated it and don't even want to think about if for too long- I just want to forget it like a bad dream.
Buuuuuuut, it was mine and Kaitlin's Book of the Month for July so we're giving it a little love! From now on, we're going to try this new little post every month where we ask each other questions about the book!
The following questions are those asked by Kaitlin and answered by me. If you want to see what I asked her and her responses, I'll link it right here for you to check out! And, if you haven't read my full review yet, I'll link that here as well for you to see.
On with the questions!
(This post may contain spoilers!)
Follow my Bookstagram for more pictures like this!
@forever_fictional



Which of the Queen's powers would you like?

Despite Katherine being my favourite, I think I'd have to go with Mirabella's power- it's just the coolest. What can a naturalist do? Grow a rose? Yeah, I won't have much use for that. The only good thing about being a naturalist would be to have a familiar. And a poisoner? If this is hypothetically in our world, I've never been poisoned and can't imagine a situation where I would. And even if it was in their world... I'd still want the fire power because, if I had to defend myself, it'd be a lot faster if I can control fire and the weather.

Ignoring the brutality of it, do you believe that it is an effective way of establishing a powerful and successful rule?
I love this concept of gaining power but, in reality I think it would be a really corrupt system. As seen in the book, it wouldn't just be about who triumphs- it'd be more political than that. You'd have alliances, double-crossing and plans from each other to give themselves advantages. For example, rumours spread around about a Sacrificial Year perhaps...

Do you believe that any of the sisters will end up killing each other?
As much as it would be entertaining to read, no. I think they'll all figure out that they've been manipulated to hate each other. I think they'll probably join forces and try to fight against the corrupt power of the priestesses or something. Sisterly love prevails and all that.

How do you think the reveal of Arsinoe's poisoner abilities will change the battle of power between the Queens?
I mean, it'd certainly foil any of Katharine's attempts to poison her. I have a feeling that, because Arsinoe is a poisoner, Katharine will turn out to be a naturalist. Maybe she'll get a familiar in the next books- like a bear or something. That'd be pretty cool.

What would have improved the book for you?
... a different writer?
I feel so bad being so harsh but it's true! There were so many promising concepts and ideas but they could've been done in such a different and gripping way. Personally, I would've gone into the book from a completely different angle.
I also think there should've only been three perspectives of the three queens so we could really learn their characters inside out and grow to actually care and root for them all.

What did you think of Three Dark Crowns?

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

3 comments:

  1. I love the photo!!
    I agree that sticking to just three perspectives would have helped a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated Joseph and Mirabella so much, but I loved Katharine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katharine was definitely the best out of the three queens. Joseph and Mirabella just annoyed the heck out of me XD

      Delete