Saturday 17 August 2019

Spider-Man: Far From Home MOVIE TALK

* * * * *
I'm really not a harsh marker when it comes to movies- even less so, when they're Marvel movies. So, naturally, I absolutely loved this film and wouldn't hesitate to give it five stars.
Far From Home was exactly the movie we needed after the sob-fest that was Endgame. It was fun, vibrant, meaningful and had a nice amount of emotion as well. I laughed a lot, I was in awe a lot and, yes, I'm very proud of myself because I only cried once!
I will also say that the post credit scenes are so incredibly astounding and important! Sometimes, the post credit scenes are funny but don't serve much purpose to the overall plot but the ones in Far From Home... they created such brutal cliffhangers and set up so much for the future of the MCU!
Endgame Movie Review




"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown."

SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD- SPOILERS AHEAD
The way Whitney Houston's 'I Will Always Love You' played behind the Marvel logo was beautiful and it kind of set the tone for the rest of the movie- funny, light and making fun of itself. It led onto a little school tribute of Tony, Cap and the others and I just loved it. It was the best way to start the film- it wasn't too heavy or emotional but gave us a nice memory of those who had fallen. After the extreme emotional turmoil of Endgame, this on-the-nose school announcement was the perfect way to start the new phase of the MCU.
I also love how it immediately cleared up the concerns of what they're calling 'the blip' and how it's affected everyone's ages. The fandom was kind of wondering how it all worked and why Spider-Man and his friends are still in high school because, if you think about it, half the school population would be five years older and different year groups, while all the students who dusted wouldn't have aged a day. I was worried this would be a bit of a plot hole but they cleared it up straight away in the little school announcement segment which I really loved.
Tony had a massive presence in this movie which, of course, I absolutely loved because I'm still in mourning and will accept any kind of Iron Man content I can get. It was great to see little tributes to him all throughout the film- from the arts and crafts of him in the background in Peter's school or the different graffiti tributes and posters around the world. The whole film kind of felt like a 'Where's Wally?' but with Iron Man which was great to have.
We spend the movie following Peter's school trip around Europe and I loved this whole concept. Peter's plan to tell MJ how he feels was beyond cute and I also loved Ned and Betty's relationship- it was hilarious!
We're quickly introduced to the 'elementals' and Mysterio who seems to be kick-ass at fighting them... which we later realise is a total hoax. I'd heard some rumours that Mysterio was actually evil but, once I started watching the movie, I kind of forgot because he seemed genuinely nice! Obviously, I'm just super gullible.
After fighting the water elemental in Venice, Peter meets with Nick Fury and he gives him the Tony Stark glasses!! When we found out that Edith stands for 'Even Dead, I'm The Hero' I was laughing like crazy because that's the most Tony Stark thing I've ever heard. Whenever I heard someone mention Edith, I just thought of Tony and I loved it. Tony will never fail to steal my heart.
Nick Fury gets their class to go to Prague instead of Paris in order for Peter to help fight the fire elemental with Mysterio. This whole scene was super fun. From everyone sneaking out of the opera, Peter getting the black suit and Ned calling him the Night Monkey... everything was brilliant.
Peter gives Mysterio Edith and... at this point, I was livid. No one replaces Iron Man! Spider-Man is the only person who can even attempt to fill Tony's shoes! Quickly after this, we find out that Mysterio is actually evil and, like many MCU villains, his motives seem to revolve around Tony (not that I'm complaining because I want everything be about Tony). Turns out, Mysterio had invented that BARF technology that Tony used back in Civil War. Quentin previously worked for Tony and, along with some other bitter employees, they wanted the Edith system for their own gain to replace Iron Man. Even now, the whole plot completely revolves around Tony... and I freaking love it.
In Prague, Peter finally has the guts to tell MJ how he feels and she kinda cuts him off because she thinks he's going to reveal that he's Spider-Man. She shows him a broken part of drone that she found with his webbing but suddenly a projection of an elemental is shown. Peter figures out that Quentin is evil and that the elementals were actually just drones creating an illusion.
I actually love this idea of illusion elementals. I much prefer the super powers and villains that can be explained through science and logic because that makes everything so much cooler- like it could actually happen! When we get loads of unexplained technology and aliens in movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, it's a little more make-believe so I really love these cool, realistic powers. It's a reason why I love Iron Man so much- he doesn't have some magic mutant powers like Scarlet Witch or super special serum like Cap- he has a suit that he's created simply through his own genius. What I'm trying to say is, while I don't like Mysterio, I can respect him because he's super smart to create something as cool as the illusions.
When Peter goes to tell Nick Fury everything, he finds Mysterio instead and we have this really cool fight sequence. Mysterio uses a bunch of illusions to psyche Peter out and it's awesome! We get illusions of a half dead Iron Man and also dozens of Spider-Mans trying to suffocate Peter- it's pretty cool.
We think Nick Fury comes along and shoots Mysterio but- boom!- it's another illusion! Quentin uses the illusion of Fury to trick Peter into giving up the names of people who know about him and essentially put his friends into the firing line. Mysterio then throws Spider-Man in front of a train and leaves him for dead.
Peter ends up in some unpronounceable place in the Netherlands (one which I'm not going to even attempt to spell) and gets Happy to pick him up. The movie from this point onward may be my favourite section the film.
Happy gives Peter a pep-talk and Peter begins to make his own suit. Happy puts on the classic ACDC music from the original Iron Man and.... this was the moment that I cried. I couldn't help it!
It was just such a beautiful call-back to Iron Man and even the movements of Peter trying on a section of suit that went on his arm and playing around with the fancy technology... it was like it was Tony- the music tied everything together and, if anyone has to replace Iron Man, there is no one better than Spider-Man to follow in his footsteps- it was such a magical moment.
Peter shows up in London to stop Mysterio from both killing his friends and pretending to kill this massive elemental illusion. This entire fight sequence was spectacular- it must've taken so long to choreograph but it was stunning! It was fast-paced with Spider-Man swinging from place to place so beautifully! I loved the switches between reality and the illusion- it was visually breathtaking and one of the best action sequences I've ever seen.
Peter manages to get Edith back and 'kill' Mysterio (though, I don't completely trust that the guy's dead because villains like him tend to pop up again with a vengeance).
Peter finally gives MJ the broken flower necklace and this was such a cute moment. They tell each other how they feel and kiss! Finally! It was the perfect kind of kiss because it wasn't just a hormonal song-fest. It was actually super awkward which I loved because that's realistic! I mean, they're both sixteen and kissing for the first time and they're both socially awkward so of course they're going to be all nervous and stuttering! It was such an endearing moment.
Everything seems perfect in the world and suddenly, the post credit scenes hit and I'm holding onto a cliffhanger that I'm desperate to know what happens next.

Post-Credit Scene 1
This one was brutal. It was cute at first- Peter swinging around with MJ (I particularly loved the text 'don't text and swing')- but suddenly the news bulletin comes up and Peter's exposed! It was a brilliant cameo with J. Jonah Jameson- the reporter guy from the Toby McGuire Spider-Man trilogy who had a vendetta against Spider-Man- and we find out that the backup plans Mysterio had made were to frame the entire London illusion attack on Spider-Man, twisting footage so it looks like Spider-Man wanted to kill everyone.
But it gets even worse because Mysterio then has to go ahead and reveal Spider-Man's identity! This changes everything for Peter and makes me so damn excited for the next Spider-Man movie!! It's an odd parallel- back in the first Iron Man movie, Tony revealed his identity and now, to start this new era of the MCU, Peter's identity has been revealed but in a super different way with completely life-changing consequences.

Post-Credit Scene 2
This post-credit scene was a little more chilled as we find out Nick Fury wasn't on earth all along. It was actually Talos! How dare Nick Fury get a holiday when poor Peter wasn't allowed one! Honestly, the whole time I was hoping for a Captain Marvel cameo but alas... twas not to be.

Overall, this was an amazing start to Phase 4 and exactly the movie I needed to get out of my Endgame grief. I'm so excited to see where the MCU goes from here and I'll sit here, patiently waiting for the next team-up movie.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment