Wednesday 19 June 2019

May Wrap Up 2019

I'm back from hiatus!!
This is a bit late because it's mid-June and I'm only getting back to blogging but, the good news is that all my exams are over now so I'll have so much more time to blog! I've been a little AWOL over the last couple of months because I've been doing more revision than I've ever done in my life but I'm officially back and super ready for the summer! (Let's ignore that I have to work loads and desperately get back into working on my manuscript...)
Sidenote: I've also been trying to get into Bookstagram (@chloe_a_harris) so I've added some of those pictures in this wrap up as well :)


BOOKS
Vox- Christina Dalcher
* * * *
I read this as soon as I bought the book and... I loved it. The premise is so fascinating and so many topics explored appealed to me. It had me laughing, crying and, mainly, cursing at the book because some of the realities in this world were unbearably infuriating. I don't actually think any other book has made me as angry as this one but in the best way possible.
Vox Book Review




The Sky is Everywhere- Jandy Nelson
* * * 
I've had this book for a while but, for some reason, I've struggled to pick it up. I've heard great things about Jandy Nelson and I'm so happy I finally picked this up because it was actually great! It was a lot more profound and poetic than I was expecting but I loved that aspect and even didn't mind the niggling love triangle throughout!






Two Can Keep a Secret- Karen M. McManus
* * * *
I read One of Us is Lying a while back, thought it was alright, and so, naturally, had generally low expectations about this book. But I can say that, without a doubt, this was far better than One of Us is Lying. For one thing, the ending wasn't predictable and unsatisfying! I loved the characters, their relationships and the whole mystery of the story. Hopefully, Karen M. McManus' writing will get better and better with every book.


100 Days of Sunlight- Abbie Emmons (ARC)
* * * *
I received this as a digital arc via Netgalley and it was beautiful! It was exactly the cute romance contemporary that I needed but it also had some super inspirational and empowering moments. One of the main characters has temporary blindness and the other is an amputee and watching their love story unfold was just lovely- I constantly had a smile on my face. This book is Abbie Emmons' debut novel and, ever since reading it, I've also been addicted to her YouTube channel all about writing.



Girlhood- Cat Clarke
* * *
Generally, I have mixed feelings over Cat Clarke books. On the one hand, Undone is one of my ultimate favourite contemporaries ever but some of her other books have just fell flat and been a real struggle to read. Girlhood fell neither end of the spectrum but just settled in the middle- it wasn't mind-blowingly amazing but it wasn't awful. It took a while to get into but, once the action got going, it became an odd sort of addictive.


TV and MOVIES
The DUFF (Re-Watch)
* * * * *
I feel like I'm adding this onto every wrap up I ever write but I just love this movie! As a book adaptation, it's pretty shocking because it's not faithful to the book at all but, if you separate them, this movie is so much fun. It's the quality rom-com that I always need in my life.


Karate Kid 2010 (Re-Watch)
* * * 
This was simply on TV so me and my mum sat down to watch it. While I enjoy it, I still prefer the original.

Game of Thrones Season 8 
* * * *
Oh, the controversy and mixed opinions! I don't even know where to start with this series. I'm hoping to continue my episode reviews but, considering the season as a whole, it was... underwhelming? I was happy with some things, disappointed with others and I totally understand that not everyone is going to be happy with the ending. But I am interested to get into the books to see everything happen at a much slower and understandable pace.

John Tucker Must Die
* * * *
I don't even know why I watched this. It was on TV, I watched a couple of minutes and just... forgot to stop watching. It was actually pretty good- a bit cheesy, a bit dated but I'm not gonna lie and say I don't love this stuff. It was a very funny film and I had a good time watching it.

The Bodyguard (Live)
* * * * *
The Bodyguard was showing at a local theatre and me and my mum always love going to see a good musical. This was actually amazing because the lead was played by Alexandra Burke who won the X-Factor a few years back and she was phenomenal! The acting wasn't amazing, I'll be honest, but the sings truly made up for it because the vocals blew every expectation out of the park.

Dirty Dancing (Live)
* * * * *
The very next day, Dirty Dancing was playing at another local theatre and... me and my mum evidently have no self-restraint. Every time I watch Dirty Dancing, I realise how much I love it. The production was amazing and the dancing flawless- the guy playing Johnny did that iconic lift like it was as easy as lifting a feather! I absolutely loved it, like always.

Dirty Dancing
* * * * *
I tend to find that, when I go to see shows, an urge to watch the movie comes right after. I've seen Dirty Dancing a good few times (both movie and live) and I think I've finally come to terms that it's one of my all-time favourite movies. I absolutely love dancing and, throw romance and Patrick Swayze in the mix, I'm 100% on board.

Two Guys and a Girl Season 4
* * * * *
I was not expecting to get so invested in this show but, after coming in a couple of episodes into series four (which I would later discover is the final series), I got super invested. I found myself getting a little addicted to this sitcom but I managed to stop myself from watching the final three episodes of the series because, when I finally watch the finale of the show, I want to have seen the whole thing from series one so it means more- I mean, imagine watching f.r.i.e.n.d.s from season 10 and the finale not meaning as much? So... I've kind of ordered an entire box set of every series and, now that I've finished exams, I'm going to happily binge watch my way through, the final episodes of series four still being a surprise for me.

And that was a very belated May! Hopefully, I'll have more time to blog now so I can catch up on everything I still need to review!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts. Stay amazing!
Chloe

2 comments:

  1. The Sky is Everywhere is super pretty!! <3 I really want to read Two Can Keep A Secret, but I need to read the other book first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of us is Lying isn't related to Two Can Keep a Secret in any way, if that's what's holding you back. They're both pretty good but I prefer Two Can Keep a Secret a lot more :)
      x

      Delete