Saturday 13 February 2021

Bridgerton Season 1 | TV REVIEW

 * * * * *

Spoilers

I need to preface this review by saying I’m not a massive fan of period dramas. It’s not my thing. Usually...

Along with the rest of the world, I have become obsessed with this show. I binged the whole thing and fell in love with absolutely everything. It was an emotional rollercoaster with gasp-worthy moments and scorching romance.

Daphne and Simon were the prominent storyline this season and… they certainly kept me on my toes. It was a great romance and they have heartbreaking highs and lows. The actors portray these characters so beautifully and it was easy to get invested in their romance. I will say that the pair are beyond perfect- there are definitely toxic and abusive traits in their relationship but I think it raises the right conversations.

Moving through the Bridgerton siblings… Anthony was one of my faves (and the most attractive to me). I loved his relationship with Sienna and it broke my heart to see them end the way they did- though I 100% respect Sienna for her decision. I also loved the duel scene between Simon and Anthony- I had my hand over my mouth the entire time, it was so intense! I liked seeing Anthony’s protective streak of his family and learning the pressures of being head of the household. I’m so excited that the next season will focus on his story.

Eloise was easily my favourite character and a feminist icon! Claudia Jessie does such a brilliant job playing Eloise- her facial expressions are everything! I loved watching Eloise’ investigation of Lady Whistledown and her friendship with Penelope. I’m so excited for her to find out who Whistledown is! I’m also quite scared of Eloise eventually getting her own romance- I don’t want her morals or independent spirit to be thrown out the window.

Benedict was another of my favourites (though, at this stage, I’m saying that everyone is my favourite). I really thought Benedict was gay and I think it would have been amazing if he was. It was great to watch him embrace his freedom as he’s not the first born son and I also loved whenever he was on screen with Eloise- their relationship was so pure and I couldn’t stop grinning.

There were many other characters that I loved- Lady Danbury, Colin, Will, Prince Friedrich. I love that there’s such a large ensemble of characters because it provides so many great subplot opportunities and promises for the future.

I didn’t really care for Marina’s storyline nor any of the Featherington’s (except for Pen). The plotline of their father’s gambling problem just felt like filler to me and didn’t engage me like the other storylines.

When it came to Lady Whistledown, my predictions changed a lot but I did decide early on that it was either Penelope or the mother, Violet. Towards the end, though, I genuinely thought it had been revealed as Pen and then Eloise spent the next episode sure it was Madame de la Croix. I started to doubt myself! I felt so triumphant when it turned out to be Pen and it will be amazing to see how this progresses next season.

Bridgerton absolutely enamoured me and I will definitely be buying and binging the entire book series.

2 comments:

  1. I binged it too! It was definitely the exact thing I needed during all of this life craziness! My best friend has read the first book, and is planning to continue the series. So I might borrow it from her after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been binging the books obsessively! Daphne and Simon's book isn't great but the rest are really good! I'm on the final one and Hyacinth's book is definitely my favourite xxx

      Delete