Friday 4 September 2020

The Umbrella Academy Season 1 | REVIEW

* * * * *
I am officially obsessed with this show. It's nothing like I ever expected and I can't get enough. It's quirky and fun but mysterious and clever. It’s odd and wacky but addictive and fascinating.

This season was full of twists and turns, impeccable humour as well. 

The characters are truly what hold this show together and make it great. The show is full of weird and wonderful elements- time travel, magical powers, a chimpanzee, a robot mother- but the down-to-earth and complex characters are truly what make all of the other stuff believable.

We had such a broad range of characters and, what I loved most, was that they were all flawed! They all had complex drives and nuanced personalities. They all had troubled backgrounds, different experiences and fascinating motivations. We slowly unravelled their characters and what makes them tick throughout the span of the show.  

-spoiler warning-

I have no idea where to start. This season was packed full of so many plot threads and characters, it was almost too much for my brain to take.

Logically, I’ll start with Number One.

Luther was probably my least favourite of the seven. He was that classic goody-two shoes character that think he knows better than everyone else and that he should lead and everyone should listen to him. I appreciated the internal conflict he had throughout the season, questioning whether he should really lead them and why his father sent him to the moon for no reason (though, I do think there was a reason… just one we haven’t figured out yet). Nevertheless, I wasn’t as engaged with Luther’s backstory and I didn’t care as such that he nearly died and turned half gorilla. I think the other characters were more complex and interesting.

Then we have Number Two, Diego. I really liked Diego. I think his powers were one of the lesser interesting (... he just throws knives really well? Around a corner?). I loved seeing his vulnerable sides with Detective Patch as well as with his mother and learning he had a stutter as a kid. My heart went out to him when he’d lost both Eudora and his mother back-to-back- it was heart-breaking! I think he’s an interesting character but I don’t think there’s more to uncover when it comes to him.

Number Three- Allison. I liked her and I especially loved her power- it’s so cool! I’ll admit, at first, she again was my favourite out of the seven. But it was episode eight that really made me grow to love her. We saw flashbacks of what had happened with her daughter and her dedication to find Vanya and make it up to her was really heart-warming. Of course, it would be the episode that I grow to love Allison that she gets her throat slit at the end. That scene had me gasping and freaking the hell out! When the episode finished, I just had to get up and pace, all the while muttering extremities because I was not expecting that! In a way, I’m a little disappointed that she ended up surviving because it lessened the emotional impact and surprise that I felt in that moment… a little like it was all for nothing.

Number Four- Klaus! My favourite! It’s easy to say that Klaus is a fan favourite just because he’s hilarious- and I’d be lying if I said that didn’t factor into why I like him. But there’s so much more to him. He’s such a complex, multi-faceted character and he’s also terribly flawed. While we saw the fun, care-free and high moments of him, we also got to see his devastating past, his crippling power and his vulnerable moments. I absolutely love how he had a backstory and love with Dave that happened slap bang in the middle of the show’s timeline and I also loved his relationship with Ben.

What I also really appreciated was how they dealt with Klaus’ path to sobriety. In episode 6, The Day That Wasn’t, Klaus stays sober by being physically tied up by Diego. He doesn’t trust himself to ot go back to the drugs and needs to have all choices taken from him. But in episode 7, The Day That Was, he chooses to not take drugs. We get to see the same outcome but it’s from Klaus’ power within that he actively decides to stay sober. He’s thrust into a rave to save Luther, with drugs and that care-free life he’s addicted to, but he resists it. And that shows so much strength! Klaus is such a complicated and nuanced character and I can’t get enough of him.

Number Five… Number Five.

Five was another of my favourites. Aidan Gilligan? Plays him perfectly- an old man in a 13 year olds body- it’s spectacular acting.

I thought Five was really interesting and his drives were compelling. I think he has the coolest power of them all and it was so much fun seeing him jump between both space and time. And it was cool that we could explore how a power like that can have consequences… I mean, the guy is in love with a mannequin… something ain’t right upstairs. 

Number Six- Ben. Strangely, Ben was also one of my favourites. We didn’t even see that much of him and didn’t get to learn much about what happened to him and how he died but… there was just something about him that made him so likeable. I loved his relationship with Klaus and how he always tried to help and support Klaus- whether that was when he was overwhelmed by the dead or struggling to stay sober. Ben also had some time to truly shine and demonstrate his powers in the season finale which was awesome. He and Klaus had some really funny and heart-warming interactions and I really hope we learn more about Ben in the next season.

And finally, Number Seven. Vanya.

From the very beginning when she’s introduced as being ordinary, it’s clear that she has some sort of power. When we saw he take that first pill, I knew her powers were being supressed but I had no idea she would go in the direction she did. I certainly didn’t think she’d be the cause of the apocalypse.

As soon as Leonard was introduced, I didn’t trust him, I didn’t like him. He was just a master manipulator and it was clear to everyone but Vanya! Yeah, I understand that she’d never felt special before and here was someone that finally noticed her but… there were red flags flying all over the place! It was interesting to see his past and how he murdered his dad and when he got in that fight (with people he hired!) and lost his eye… I was dying. It was all too perfect and well-connected. I’m interested to know why Luther ended up holding the eye in the apocalypse, though…


This show had so many different plot threads and they all weaved together and complimented each other beautifully. I wasn’t as much of fan of the Commission scenes with the Handler or Hazel and Cha-Cha (especially the romance between Hazel and the doughnut lady, Agnes, which I totally wasn’t expecting). I wasn’t as much a lover of these scenes because I loved seeing the siblings interact.

I think the reveals and plot was constructed so beautiful. There were always questions and small mysteries posed that kept me hooked (How did Ben die? What are Pogo and the mother hiding? What are Vanya’s power? How did Reginald die? What’s Leonard’s plan? Who causes the apocalypse?) and all of these mysteries are weaved into the relationships between the siblings and their backstories. It was done so beautifully!

More broadly, the whole look and feel of the show was phenomenal. The colours, the sets, the styles were captivating. It also championed one of favourite tropes which is to have kick-ass fight scenes with cheery, old-fashioned music. It’s so inspiring and funny and awesome all at the same time.

Overall, this show was so intriguing and colourful and it was easy to get addicted. From the crazy and complex characters to the ambitious and genius plot, I couldn’t binge this series fast enough. It was refreshing, unique and daring which is maybe what I loved about it the most.

There are still so many unanswered questions and, damn, that cliff-hanger! I’m so excited to see what quirky and captivating plot is in store for us in season 2!


No comments:

Post a Comment