Sunday 13 September 2020

The Folk of the Air series by Holly Black | BOOK REVIEW

I have seen a huge amount of hype surrounding this series, especially on Bookstagram, and it sounded like exactly the sort of story that I would fall in love with. Fae. Fantasy. Arrogant but charming princes and an epic heroine. Sign me up. 
However, for me, this series fell short. It might've been because I had high expectations but I wasn't a fan. The characters weren't all that relatable or entertaining, though I do appreciate how complex they were. The romantic subplot was bizarre to me because it was the most toxic, unhealthy relationship and I couldn't even bring myself to ship them. The plot was intriguing and the plot twists and turns were probably the best part of this series but, overall, it wasn't my favourite. 




-spoiler warning-

THE CRUEL PRINCE

I have mixed feelings. I didn’t hate this book, but I didn’t love love it. There’s so much hype around this series so maybe my expectations were too high. Don’t get me wrong, I like this book, but it didn’t blow me away.

When it came to the plot, I really enjoyed it. The premise was interesting, the world intricate and I love how unpredictable it was. It was full of fun twists and gasp-worthy moments which was great. The climax was amazing, and I was gripped through the whole section of Balekin killing Dain and the rest of his siblings. I also thought the ending of Jude making Cardan High King and scheming for him to be under her control was awesome.

I think what generally didn’t make me give a higher rating was that I didn’t actually love any of the characters. Jude was okay and I thought her almost corrupt motivations for power was interesting but there was nothing about her that made me love her.

And it was the same with every side character. Vivi. Taryn. Locke. Madoc. The Roach. They were all ‘meh.’ There was no charisma, no humour, in these characters so it was hard to warm to any of them or care about what happened to them.

 And don’t even get me started with Cardan. All the characters, and even the blurb, described him as ‘charismatic’ and ‘charming’ and, I don’t know if I read a different book, because I saw no sign of this so-called charm. Sure, he was an okay character and I appreciate he had a rough upbringing but… he needs a major redemption arc for me to like him. (And it’s not too late- Rhysand can attest to that).

This also meant I struggled to ship Jude and Cardan. There was an attraction between them but it literally disgusted them and they absolutely hate each other- and not even in the entertaining, snarky, enemies-to-lovers trope way. Something really drastic needs to change in their dynamic for me to root for them.

So, overall, I enjoyed the plot but think it’s a little over-hyped. I’ll continue the series but really hope the characters get more engaging.


THE WICKED KING

I can safely say I enjoyed this more than the first book. I’m still not a huge fan of Jude and Cardan but the plot was interesting and the second half actually had me gripped.


I struggled through the first half because, again, I didn’t care for the characters and nothing grabbed my attention. But once Jude was taken by Orlagh and Balekin, and they tried to get her to murder Cardan, thinking she was under their glamour… the book was great. It was the gripping moment that finally had me invested- because I was suddenly excited! I couldn’t wait to see Jude return and reveal Balekin’s plans.

The ‘relationship’ between Jude and Cardan progressed but I’m still not on board this ship. Their dynamic is interesting and almost written in a way where it’s difficult to know whether to ship them or not. Personally, I think they’re just too volatile together. Sure, a clear attraction is there but they don’t trust or communicate with each other at all- two key components of a healthy relationship.

Cardan also hasn’t had a satisfying redemption arc and I don’t think he will. We learnt more about his childhood, especially his relationship with his mother, and I genuinely don’t think Cardan is capable of great change. He’ll always be wicked and he’ll never lose the part of him that delights in being cruel.

The twist at the end shocked the heck out of me! For once, Cardan was the master manipulator. He tricked Jude into releasing him, made her Queen of Elfhame, only to exile her for killing Balekin (which is also a scene I loved). While it was a great betrayal, it shows exactly how Cardan and Jude don’t trust each other. They can’t work together, they’re always double-crossing each other, getting a sick pleasure out of hurting each other. It’s toxic!

What I will say about this series is that it’s ambitious. There’s a fresh and unique quality about the fact that the characters aren’t solely made to be likeable- not even the love interest. Their motivations and drives are more complex than that. They’re flawed and corrupt and that adds a realistic angle to the story.


THE QUEEN OF NOTHING

I persevered with this series and The Queen of Nothing was actually my favourite of the whole trilogy. I still don't absolutely love the characters or the ship but the plot was fast-paced and had me gripped throughout.


I know I've had my issues with Jude and Cardan and, frankly, I still think they're an extremely unhealthy and toxic relationship. However... I learnt to accept it in this book because, at the end of the day, they're pretty well suited to each other. They're both scheming, both selfish and cruel in different ways and love each other despite all of their worrying habits and characteristics. So, what I'm trying to say is that they deserve each other. That's the only way I can buy into their relationship.

One of my favourite things about this book- and this entire series, in fact- was Jude's relationship with Madoc. I think their dynamic was so interesting- how Madoc was both proud of her and loved her and yet felt betrayed and schemed to defeat her. I liked the complexities of this father-daughter relationship and it's one of the highlights of this series for me.

This book also had some really nice sister moments. I'm not going to say I'm a massive fan of either Taryn or Vivi but there were a few instances in this book where they came together and supported each other which was nice to see.

Overall, this series was really well structured and the world was fascinating. I thought the premise and dynamic of all the characters and their relationships was really ambitious and fresh. It's not your average YA fantasy and I think that's why it's become so popular. I can't picture myself re-reading this series or overly fangirling over it but it was an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment