Sunday 6 December 2020

STORM AND FURY- Jennifer L. Armentrout Book Review

 

* * * * *
Jumping into a spin-off series comes with both excitement and apprehension.

I love The Dark Elements series. Layla is a kick-ass protagonist and Roth is arguably my favourite love interest that Jennifer L. Armentrout has even written. The trilogy has a perfect journey of ups and downs and ended on such a high note.

So, naturally, I get a little nervous about a spin-off.

Zayne was not my favourite at all in The Dark Elements. Frankly, I found him kind of boring. So, going into a new series, knowing he’s going to be the big love interest? It put me off a little. But Jennifer L. Armentrout as this amazing ability to write perfection and exceed all of my expectations. Storm and Fury gave Zayne a chance to revel in the spotlight and breathe away from the comparison of Roth always making him look like vanilla ice cream.

There was also the addition of Trinity, our new protagonist. Again with spin-offs, I tend to like the protagonist less because I have such a loyalty to the original. Say with The Covenant series and The Titan spin-offs… I would lay down my life for Alex but Josie? I couldn’t care less. And again with the Lux series compared to the Origin spin-off… Katy will forever be my BFF and I would just accept Evie.

So, I kind of figured it would be more of the same. I have a huge love for Layla but, in Storm and Fury, I’ve found that I love Trinity just as much. They’re equals in my mind.

JLA brought introduced such strong resolve and confidence in Trinity which I loved. She’s sassy, she’s powerful and she works so hard. What I also particularly lover is how Jen chose to give Trin the same progressive eye disease that Jen has herself. We got a real insight into how this affects Trinity’s life and yet it never defines her as a character- it didn’t overshadow everything else that was amazing about Trin and it wasn’t a major plot point. I love this kind of representation and strength in a character. I’m super excited to see how much further Trinity grows and comes into her powers.

We also had a good dose of cameos in this book which, I’ll be honest, made the book for me. Whenever Layla, Roth, Caymen or even Bambi strolled onto the scene… I would happily ditch everyone else to stay with them forever. And, frankly, I got super protective and defensive over them. Obviously, Trinity has grown up with Wardens so is natural wary and suspicious demons- she didn’t get to see the other side to them like we did in the Dark Elements. But every time she would say something mean about them or doubt they’re allegiance and say they were evil, I would get so offended! I literally put the book down a couple of times and raged and defended my beautiful bay demons- no one smack-talks Roth and gets away with it.

The story itself was good. It felt more like a set-up for the rest of the series and raised some interesting questions of what’s to come- like who and what is the Harbinger? I also liked how Jen introduced the concept of Nephilim but gave it a Trueborn twist and made it feel different than anything else we’ve ever read about half-angels. (I particularly love the sword that just appears when Trinity uses her grace- that’s so cool).

The romance between Zayne and Trinity was nicely done. I like how Zayne didn’t immediately get over Layla and that there are lasting effects. I also like how Zayne is a bit more sarcastic and flirty than he was in the Dark Elements- it made his character more gritty and interesting. However, I will say that, compared to the Dark Elements he sometimes felt like a completely different character- whether that can be chalked up to him losing part of his soul is up for debate- but, nevertheless, I prefer this new Zayne. Do I prefer him over Roth?

Never. That would be blasphemy.

I do think Zayne and Trinity are well suited but I predict real consequences now that Zayne is Trin’s Protector and there’s some sort of rule against them being romantically involved. It gives me Shadowhunter-Parabatai vibes but I think them being romantically involved will actually make them more powerful- too powerful and unstoppable and that’s why it’s frowned upon, maybe???

The ending had a great reveal with Misha turning out to be evil and I also have to mention the beauty of Peanut. He gives me Tink vibes from Wicked but I love every second of it.

As always Jen flawlessly manages to blend together effortless humour, scorching romances and gripping plots. What can I say? It’s why she’s my No. 1.

I can’t wait to continue this series and see where it goes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment